Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Uncle Al

Big Box Retailer Incandescent Light Preference?

Now that the big box stores are stocking their shelves with lights it got me thinking about where people buy from and why. Is there any difference in the lights that are sold at one retailer vs another retailer? Are they all about the same or are there ones you prefer? Do you buy based on price alone or for other reasons?

I've bought the majority of minis from Walmart, just because there's 4 stores within 30 miles so I can stock up on as much as I want. Price is usually best too. I've realized that their strand lengths tend to be the shortest though, making for a little smaller of a mega tree compared to others. I like Lowes for C9s because they have great stock of ceramic red, green, and clear. Around here Walmart has the ceramic white C9 and C7, few in the way of color.

It would be interesting if someone could create a list of brands that match from the different stores. I guess I'll put that on the list for after Christmas. I know the Lowes and Walmart minis have a very slight color variation and length. Menards clear minis are nowhere near as bright as Walmart's. I think they run on 0.2 amps per strand instead of 0.3. A bunch of my old lights are just a miss-match of all sorts of brands, but blended together on the bushes they look great.

Lowe's and Hobby Lobby have been the two I like best. Walmart was third. The problem is Hobby doesn't carry them anymore in solid colors and the others may not either. In this case it might be whatever you can get at a reasonable price.

I have been a Lowes man mainly for the service and they have stuff out before everybody but hobby lobby, also the lowes here stands by their product and has replaced lights for me that have gone bad mid-season if they still have some in stock

Go to Target-You can run more strings on LOR because they use less energy. It will use less energy too, reducing your power costs. lol

Go to Target-You can run more strings on LOR because they use less energy. It will use less energy too, reducing your power costs. lol

I always went with the Target brand, but lately they have been stocking more and more of the LEDs than the incandescent's. They're selection of Incandescent's seems to be getting smaller and smaller each year.

Walmart and Home Depot (not Martha Stewart line) both use lights from Everstar.

The biggest problem of late has been inconsistency from one year to the next among some of the big stores. Light strings get shorter each year, carry less of a selection, etc... Two years in a row I've been burned for thinking I could supplement any after-Christmas purchases with the next year's stock. And, unfortunately, we often don't get a glimpse of what they will offer until decoration season is upon us. So, whoever you go with, make sure you have everything you ever think you'll need for this year and next.

When I'm buying standard mini's, I typically get Lowes or Walmart, but I've got no issue with Target or Home Depot. WalMart seems to have a higher half-string-out rate than Lowes, but their blue lights have a much better color to them than Lowes (a brighter blue vs a dark blue, respectively).

When I'm buying standard mini's, I typically get Lowes or Walmart, but I've got no issue with Target or Home Depot. WalMart seems to have a higher half-string-out rate than Lowes, but their blue lights have a much better color to them than Lowes (a brighter blue vs a dark blue, respectively).

Ah...The dreaded half-string-out. A Christmas decorator's worst enemy. :P

I'll take a full string out of minis over a half string out of LED's any day!

As for color, I've found WalMart to be horrific the last two years -- especially their green which is extremely pale. And the red color paint has plenty of pin holes and chipped areas before they even come out of the box. But since WalMart doesn't appear to be carrying red or green solids this year, I guess it won't be an issue for anyone...

Target sells the energy efficient minis.

No exactly on topic but might be helpful somewhat: http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/pages/how-much-power.htm

I never realised that the Target lights were more efficient. I have been buying my lights there in the past so now I plan to keep going back. More light less power!

The only thing with the energy efficient minis is that they are slightly dimmer due to less power consumption...at least I noticed it with the ones I got from Menards. Very slight though. I think mixed together you wouldn't tell the difference.

The energy efficient ones use different bulbs, you can't stick a standard 2.5v bulb in there when they blow out (at least you can't on my Phillips brand that I bought from Target). I'm outta spares so I trashed the string when it went out again. Too much trouble for me.

I never realised that the Target lights were more efficient. I have been buying my lights there in the past so now I plan to keep going back. More light less power!

I was at Target last night; and their selection of the Target brand incandescent are mostly just clear and multi. They are stocking alot of Phillips (incandescent and LEDs). I've noticed that the Phillips Incandescent are more energy efficient than the Target brand; but are 2x the amount.

Typically Wallyworld lights. No Target or HL nearby. Since they have no significant quantities out, have been air-brushing the faded ones with oil-based stained glass paint. Its a pain, but what can ya do?

If WM doesn't come through after Halloween, will have to look long and hard at 2801 pixel LEDs. :unsure:

We aren't a big-box store but my company has started selling the same lights we use professionally on our website.

Our prices are really competitive and the quality is generally higher than what you might get at a box-store.

I remember our first show we supplemented our lights with some extras from Target. The Target lights were the first to fail.

Let me know what you think :)

store.lightsmusicmagic.com

Edited by JHolmes

Wal-Mart, but I dont know if anyone else noticed, but each year, Wal-Mart has been carrying less and less selection and diversity of lights. Hardly anything left on the shelves around here by 2nd week of December, let alone by after xmas... their incandescent selection this year is pathetic in my area.

Edited by nipster

I ended up buying 100 sets of lights from Lowes before Thanksgiving. They were the only major retailer that had all solid colors available with good available inventory.

I ended up buying 100 sets of lights from Lowes before Thanksgiving. They were the only major retailer that had all solid colors available with good available inventory.

Not anymore. After this weekend; they only have clear and multi. Mainly because of their $1.99 deal. They stocked Red and Green but not much.

Not anymore. After this weekend; they only have clear and multi. Mainly because of their $1.99 deal. They stocked Red and Green but not much.

Did they have red or green for 1.99 too? Online they show clear for 1.99, but not green or red. I'd like to buy 100 strands at that price for red and green, but they still show up as 2.69.

Took a tour of all the big box stores this weekend. NO ONE has inventory. My Lowes only had clear. I don't know if it's because all the black Friday shopping took them out, but hopefully they get more this year. I was planning on getting hundreds of strands for half off or more like I did last year, but no one has them.... :unsure: My display will be hurt if I can't get any this year. This whole LED thing isn't helping either. LEDs have drastically reduced most store's incan inventory. I will never understand paying $12 for a strand... :blink: ....no matter what bulb type they are.

Has anyone found another store with good red/green inventory???

Vk I just bought all the green my local Lowes had in stock. You should check (and I shouldn't post this) the out of the way stores in areas where people don't do large displays. Call the store and see what they have in stock, then talk to the store director. If you explain that you are going to buy a large quantity usually they will give you a nice price break. I bought 18 strings of green and told the director of the store the white were on sale but not the green and if I bought all the green would he drop the price to the sale price and he told me no problem; but call around some stores have a lot of inventory if you are willing to drive to get it.

Thanks for the tip Snoop. My closest Lowes has none of red and green, but 50 miles away is 40 of each, then another 30 miles from that is 50 of each. Looks like I will road trip sometime. lol

Too bad it looks like that mini sale on clears ended. 2.69 is a little more than I was planning on. I'll keep an eye on their stock and see when they go on sale again. They'd have to soon. December is only a day away.

Anyone know of any other store chains that never get picked over for lights? Looking for that one place to really clean house, especially if I have to travel a ways.