Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Jeremy Lawton

Poor Selection At Wal-mart Or Just Me?

Anyone been in wal-mart lately and seen the poor amount of lights that they currently have stalked? Anyone else seen any solid color lights yet in led's? ive only seen multi and warm white?

That is all we have seen in our Super Walmart here in Vegas also. Multi and warm white LED lights. The department manager told me they don't have everything in store yet but she did not know what else is coming.

Yup. Times are tough. They don't even have their incandescents in red or green -- just blue. And I am having trouble finding even the incandescents with white wire. Seems every year, Wal-Mart is offering less and less.

Hopefully this will spur some more online stores with year-round attractive pricing if they don't have brick and mortar stores to contend with.

The way I hear it the LED's will only be multi and warm white this year. Which is a real problem for me; I'm quite a few strands of blue and green short to finish projects. I haven't figured out what to do yet.

The way I hear it the LED's will only be multi and warm white this year. Which is a real problem for me; I'm quite a few strands of blue and green short to finish projects. I haven't figured out what to do yet.

Is there any reason why.

Maybe in the US, but in Canada I was able to pick up some red C6 lights. They also had white, green (surprise) and blue. They still have a bunch of Halloween in the seasonal section so I suspect there will be a lot more once Halloween is over.

If I can make my shameless plug, come check out our new store at store.lightsmusicmagic.com

We are selling the same high quality lights we use on our own professional products but at huge discount prices!

I bet you'll find exactly what you need at a great price :)

If you don't, e-mail me and I'll see what I can do to help!

J.Holmes, you have managed to shamelessly Plug every thread about lights today! LOL

Maybe not so shameless... I'm just joking though. It's good to have another option out there and I'm sure if they are the lights you use in your displays they are great.

Will you be doing a pre-sale?

Was at a Walmart after classes last Thursday. They had 4 cases of red minis and 4 cases of green minis. They also had 20 cases of blue minis, a color I have way to many of. But, what I noticed is the increase of LED lights. Lots of c9/c7 LED's. As always, I won't be purchasing anything (except maybe 3 boxes of green c9) till after the 50% starts. Though I haven't been to any other Walmart, I'm sure they will be at the absolute minimum. I may not get enough red lights this year to replenish for 2012.

Checked out the local wal-mart last night. They were in the process of converting the rest of the garden center to Christmas mode.

They have the same amount of shelf space reserved for lights that was used last year. The stock and stocking diagrams haven't changed over the last few weeks.

I was checking out the Halloween section and noticed they didn't have the halloween mini's this year -- just some LED-lit-up-figure strings.

Fingers crossed that things change...

I used to go after christmas and load up on lights from Walmart but the last few years I have found the quality of their lights to be crap. Way to many problems and I am tired of replacing them so this year I don't plan to buy anything from them.

Visited the Wal last night and notice they had 9 cases of green incandescent mini's sitting on the shelf that were not there two days ago. No price label under them or anything -- looks like they probably got them in and didn't have a proper spot for them yet. That's the only "new" thing, but it does give hope that there may be more items coming in the next few weeks.

Went to 2 of my 4 area Walmarts tonight. (gotta love the Walmart-rich Midwest) One had 4 times the selection of the other, probably because it is in a busier part of town. Huge stock of artificial trees (which I needed some of), but very few lights. 2 cases of each color incans and a variety of LEDs. The lesser of the two stores only had 4 cases of multi and 4 of clear, no solid colors. I'm still confident many more trucks are to come.

One interesting find tonight was the new "high density" 300 ct icicle lights. 300 incans jammed into one 9 ft icicle strand instead of the normal 15-18 ft. Kind of like if you were layering two strands, and priced that way too. I might have to stock up on those if they are left after Christmas.

Also, one store had 100 ct. minis priced at $2.98 and one at $2.88. Thought that was interesting.

Two days late in posting, but on the 30th, my walmart now has red on green wire minis and clear on white wire minis that they didn't have a few days prior. Still no new developments on the LED front.

But, hey, they have Chili Pepper lights now. Good thing they got their priorities straight...

I was at Lowes tonight. Best price I've seen this year on minis. $2.69 for 100 ct. (Walmart was $2.88, Menards was $2.99) HUGE stock on all minis. C-9 stock is disappointing, clear and multi only. (I needed a few more greens.)

I went to another local Walmart today and they did not have much at all. One of the sales people said what they have out is all they are getting. I think it was 33% less than last year and last year they sold out of all lights before christmas came.

So far so good I guess at my local wal-mart. Ive seen strings of white, green, red, multi, blue, and red green. LED of course.

Lots of red mini's though.

2 Walmart locations I've been to this week and they have 4 cases of RED incan. between the both :mad: getting a little frustrated with them. Hopefully there will be enough to scrounge up for replacing stings next year. If not, I may have to pay (ackkkk) retail! :huh:

Good news is MORE LED's came in and I should be able to replenish my "backstock". I just started using the LED's I purchased 2 years ago as I now have enough to do something with them!

my walmart is still putting their christmas out, its ok selection here, i didnt look much but i did like the bumper cars to go with the carnival area of my display, carousel, ferriswheel, teeter totter, etc. id like to get 2 bumper cars.

I had to go to all 4 of my area Walmarts today in order to find a few more green minis. :angry: Of course, I found them at the last one. I was hoping that new stock had come in, but wasn't the case yet. Still the same clear, multi, and smattering of reds. Price dropped to $2.68 though.

Been to Home Depot. Lowes and Walmart. they all have nothing that I want. Was planning on trading some strings in for the LEd s at HD but they have nothing since I heard that the Martha Stwearts LEds are junk.