Mixing Leds

Ralph Priest

I posted this query under the Lights column,but received zero replies,so I'll try again here.I desperately need 4 to 5 strings of M6 LEDs 100 ct sets to finish a mini tree.I already have on hand 4 70 ct.strings.So,the question is this:can I mix the 70 ct.lights with the 100 ct. lights?An electrician warned me not to do this with incan's,but does this rule also apply to LEDs?

An electrician warned me not to do this with incan's,but does this rule also apply to LEDs?

That is a new one on me. If anyone knows the reasoning behind it, I would love to hear it.

The only reason I can think of is to prevent overload under the KISS principle. They light manufacturer will say "Max sets connected: X." A 70ct. & a 100 ct. string will have different restrictions. If you mix the strings, you have to do the math to make sure you you don't overload the wire.

Here is a thought. Don't connect the strings together. Connect them both back to the power cord. Just make sure your power cord is heavy enough for the all the lights.

Get a different electrician! That would be saying that you could not connect connect a 60 watt bulb on the same circuit as a 100 watt bulb. I have run 50 ct, 70 ct, and 210 ct LEDS all connected together for years with no problem. As long as you don't exceed maximum amperage it shouldn't be a problem.

Get a different electrician! That would be saying that you could not connect connect a 60 watt bulb on the same circuit as a 100 watt bulb. I have run 50 ct, 70 ct, and 210 ct LEDS all connected together for years with no problem. As long as you don't exceed maximum amperage it shouldn't be a problem.

Your electrician must have been my son!!! Just can't teach kids anything. Mixing LED's won't make a difference.

The electrician said you shouldn't mix LED with Incandecent. Now he may or may not know what he's talking about. It depends because as Cacoulter mentions the only reason you shouldn't mix would be if you can't interpret the maximum number of strings your LED string is rated for and be able to understand that wouldn't be the same for Incans.

But other than that there is no reason.

As for 70cct and 100ct. There is no reason what so ever!

So let me understand this...any LED's can be mixed with any other LED's, all in a row, with no extension cords breaking them up? What about LED icicles to LED mini's? Any the above poster confused me with the ratio stuff. If that's the case, that would make setting everything up extremely easier than last year for me. LED's can be strung together in huge amounts, as everyone knows, so I could reduce the number of extension cords I use drastically.

Lights is lights. You need to do your math and don't overload your wires.

Most minis, icicles, etc, use a 22 Awg wire. For these, you want to keep your total interconnected string to a max of 2 Amps. When you look at the "Max sets connected:" on the package, that will probably total about 2 Amps.

Remember: If in doubt, play it safe.

So let me understand this...any LED's can be mixed with any other LED's, all in a row, with no extension cords breaking them up? What about LED icicles to LED mini's? Any the above poster confused me with the ratio stuff. If that's the case, that would make setting everything up extremely easier than last year for me. LED's can be strung together in huge amounts, as everyone knows, so I could reduce the number of extension cords I use drastically.

Sorry if I confused you, I should have said within a string they could be mixed, if you were using them say on a wireframe for example. After reading this post a second time, I realize now that I wasn't answering what the question was asking. My apologies.

So that's a yes? I can string any type of LED's together with no extension cords? I understand that the total amps must now go over the total allowable, but for LED's that's a ton of strings that can be connected together. That's why I use LED's now. Red mini's to white icicles, for example. No problem with that?

I understand that the total amps must now go over the total allowable,

Ummm... No. :)

Red mini's to white icicles, for example. No problem with that?

DISCLAIMER: I am not an electrician. I have never connected red minis to white icicles. I have done other combinations of lights. I am not sure if that make me qualified to answer this, but...

Unless there is no outlet on the end of the string, I see absolutely no reason it can't be done. It is nice that you can connect somewhere around 50, 70 ct LED strings together. Compared to 5, 100 ct Incandecents.

• 5 weeks later...

I didn't see it mentioned, but if you are using incandescents you don't want to take the bulb out of a 70 count string to replace a bulb in a 100 ct string or vice versa. That may have been what your "electrician" was thinking about. You can plug the 2 sets in end to end no problem.

The other posters have covered LED end-to-end just fine.

I didn't see it mentioned, but if you are using incandescents you don't want to take the bulb out of a 70 count string to replace a bulb in a 100 ct string or vice versa. That may have been what your "electrician" was thinking about. You can plug the 2 sets in end to end no problem.

The other posters have covered LED end-to-end just fine.

The 70 light string of LED's will have two 35 light strings of LED's with a resistor or two to compensate for any additional voltage drop. The 100 count strings are 3 strings configured as 33/33/34 and have compensation resistors also, they both use the same voltage type LED's, so they are replaceable between the two strings. Even the 30/35 light strings.

This is for the White, Blue, Green LED colors.

The RED,Orange, Yellow will be a different count per string but the rule still works here. You do not have to change the compensation resistor as long as you are replacing color for same color.