Candy Canes

cyras21

Not exactly a tree but wasn't too sure where to place this.

After last years snow storm, a lot of my smaller decorations were destroyed so I decided to build my own. I'm lining the side walk with 30" candy canes molded out of electrical conduit and wrapped with garland and garland lights. There will be 16 of them alternating colors...red, white, green, white, red...etc.

post-12978-0-79687600-1318716962.jpg

post-12978-0-90407900-1318716969.jpg

I used 3/4" conduit. Lowe's and Home Depot sell a pipe bending jig for the size pipe.

It only bends 60 degrees or so, so it took 3 to 4 bends to get it right. I would HIGHLY suggest bending the pipe prior to cutting. I was planning on getting 3 to 4 canes out of a 10' pipe and only ended up with 2 roughly 30" high.

After bending and cutting the pipe I sprayed it with glue and slipped an installation sleeve over it. (just to beef it up some) The I wrapped in the cheap garland from Home Depot and Garland cluster lights from Big Lots.

The pipe - $4.20 for 10'

Installation - $2.47 for 4 4' sleeves

Garland - $5.98 for 50'

Lights - $12.00 from Big Lots

spray glue on hand

The lights are by far the most expensive item. I'm making 16 canes for just under $300. Each cane from start to finish about 20 mins.

*oh, if this is your first time bending pipe...don't worry if the pipe doesn't look too pretty. The installation will take care of that and give you a nice candy cane shape as long as it isn't too bad to begin with*

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

yes the garland is strictly for daytime use as is with my mini trees. You can't really see the garland at night with all the lights anyway. I try to make my display as pleasing to the eye as I can during daylight hours. Not an easy task!

IMG_0899.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I came across this post recently after scavenging seven candy canes from my favorite thrift store and realized there was a simple way to make garland wound candy canes using the old canes as a base.  Both the canes and a large pile of garland was recycled so there wasn't any new material used in construction.  Be sure to keep the end caps after removing the old lights from inside the cane as it makes securing the garland a lot easier.candy-cand-before-and-after.png

Archived