So Far So Good On My Roof Idea.....

I had posted a little while back about trying to "automate" the light installation on the roof. This year I am putting up red, green, blue, and white LED's. In the past i have put up three colors and the roof has been my most labor intensive and least favorite part of the display setup. I decided to try installing the lights on 1/2" PVC first with zip ties so I could put the lights up in sections. I have been building those sections the last few weeks. Today I started putting them up and man I am stoked about how it is going so far. The PVC is sitting perfectly on the edge of the gutter, and then I am using zip ties wrapped around the PVC and attached to the gutter nails that attach the gutters to the house. They are spaced every couple of feet or so so it is perfect. Then, on the roof line, I am placing the sections right near the peak, then placing a shingle hook every couple of feet and using zip ties around the PVC and shingle hook. It pulls the PVC right up snug and holds it in place. My roof has always taken me close to 20 hours or so. I think this will cut my time in half, or close to it. It has been very easy thus far to install the sections straight giving it a good clean look.

Please snap a pic of your roof line and post it. I have a high peak and it's pretty rough getting around up there, let alone the sections of lights on PVC. I like the "gutter PVC" idea, and may consider using it. This year will be my first year using the very upper peak and the roof facing the road. I'm up for any suggestions you may have.

I made some similar mounts a few years ago for my roof using 1/2" conduit. I made them so the front of the house is 4 sections then I just welded a J tab on the conduit. I pull them out from the back of the house and hang them on the edge of the gutter. Takes a couple minutes to put up my front lights. Same with the windows.