How Long Is Your Show?

Hi everyone. It's been waaay too long since I've been on here. I've been really busy with school but with Thanksgiving almost a month away, I've been working on my show. Unfortunately school and other extra curriculars have eaten up all of my time. So right now I am currently working on a "Holiday Mix" of several different classic holiday songs that is 10 minutes long plus a 3 minute intro audio from the light scene from Christmas Vacation and a 1 minute outro from the aftermath of the same scene. I've always have around a 20 minute show composed of 4 or 5 songs, but with so much school work I simply haven't had the time... So I'm just wondering how long everyone else's shows are?

Thanks in advance!

Last year, the show was around 45 minutes. I'm probably going to do the same this year and insert the new songs and make alternating shows. I don't have a lot of traffic at all in town (though this year may change as I've managed to stay OFF of TV and out of the news paper). I like it best that way. For my purpose, a long show insures that people will return to hear something that they missed on a previous night. Also, alternating shows thru the week might work well.

With only 32 channels and a limited number of display elements, my show last year was only 15 minutes. I was also concerned about traffic, wanting to cycle through a little faster than having cars sitting outside the house for long periods of time.

This year I am doing two 15 minutes shows. The plan is one show 4 days a week and the other 3 days a week so if people would return, they could have something different.

My observation was people would watch the show, then move the car and watch from another vantage point so they still stayed for 30 minutes.

Edited by neatfreak

The show length is really determined by the effort your willing to put in and the amount of traffic you have.

For me i have a 6 1/2 minute with a 1 minute intro on a loop as i get about 250-300 cars in a 1.5 hour period so i need to focus on keeping the traffic moving. last year was just 2 songs but this year is a different approach and is a mix of 10 songs in the 6 1/2 minutes so at least this way i am able to show off many different sequencing effects and keep the sequence exciting the whole way through.

• 1 month later...

I've had computer controlled lights for the last few years, but this will be my first year to synchronize them to music. I'm thinking it would be better to do a much smaller duration of high-quality show than an hour of hastily thrown-together sequences, so I may start out with maybe a 10 minute show, adding a song or two as the season progresses.

What I'm trying to consider, though, is how to present such a short show. I don't want to simply loop it, or my neighbors and I will get really sick of hearing the same song hundreds of times. I was thinking that a good compromise would be to have some simple sequences which drift between several static color arrangements, and then kick off the show every hour on the hour. Kind of a nice treat if you happen to walk or drive past at that moment, but not irritating over the long term.

Any thoughts from the more experienced sequencers?

First year it ran about 20 minutes.

Last year about 30.

This year is should be over an hour but a couple of the songs are not playing (I think I broke it LOL)

I have created a couple of shows with less in case the traffic does become an issue.

My display sort of stays the same so I just keep building.

This year is should be over an hour but a couple of the songs are not playing (I think I broke it LOL)

I found 2 reasons for this

ONE. verify that the sequence is saved in a file format matching that of the show computer. I upgraded to S3 and ran an S2 sequence to test real quick. No go. Saved file as S3 and it worked.

TWO. Make sure your Music File is correctly assigned to the sequence on the show computer. If the file is not associated correctly, then it will not play.

Also, when adding sequences to your show file, make sure to click SAVE.

This year's show will be around 60 minutes. I'll add more if I can. It worked out well, many repeat visitors over the season.

Last year I had 3 1/2 songs......My neighbors were a little put out listening to the same songs for over 3 weeks this year I have 25 songs and I tried to do a variety of songs from TSO to Mr Heat Miser for the kids w/ Video.....I hope it turns out well.

My show starts at 5:30pm and runs for 5 1/2 hours. Some popular songs repeat and the 5 video rotate throughout the evening. Here's my playlist/timeline: http://www.nychristm...ongs/Songs.html

My traffic is transient, people stop for a few songs and come back later to watch again with more people in the car. My shows works best in that situation. I think you need to build your show around what works best in your situation, adapting as you get feedback from viewers.