Switching Out Incandescent Lights On Wireframes For Led's

Glenn Barber

Hey Guys,

My wife and I moved to a new home this summer. We are going from 1/3 acres to 1 1/2 and have tons of trees - SOOO! To save on alot of electrical infrustructor and stuff like that we are going to make the plung into ALL LED's - But all of my Wireframes are Incandescent - has anyone had much experience in switching out this lights for LED's on their Wireframes? - Fortunately I have two of every wireframe so I guess I can take off all the lights on one and put LED's on it using the other as an example. And Vice-versa - Any other ideas? This is going to take a long time to do so we will be doing a small display this year and work to do a huge display in 2012.

Glenn

Maybe they have color caps for LED M5 or M6. I've never looked but that might make the job the easiest. Then you only need white and color caps. Otherwise you probably need to get half wave unsealed Socket style LED's and maybe you could swap each bulb to the right color. I think you might run into problems doing that. But just throwing it out there.

Hey Guys,

My wife and I moved to a new home this summer. We are going from 1/3 acres to 1 1/2 and have tons of trees - SOOO! To save on alot of electrical infrustructor and stuff like that we are going to make the plung into ALL LED's - But all of my Wireframes are Incandescent - has anyone had much experience in switching out this lights for LED's on their Wireframes? - Fortunately I have two of every wireframe so I guess I can take off all the lights on one and put LED's on it using the other as an example. And Vice-versa - Any other ideas? This is going to take a long time to do so we will be doing a small display this year and work to do a huge display in 2012.

Glenn

I havn't switched my wire frames "YET" .

It is in the future next year or the year after that.

But i have added a second colour to a few deer. You have to make sure you leave slack where the parts come off so you can store them off season.

I had to do 15 of them last year and towards the end I wasn't even putting them together to string the lights.

You will need 100 count for things like the deer and more for the larger items.

Clips... you are going to need someth to attached the lights use the old ones or order a box from http://www.liteclipstrip.com/

Check out the vendor Christmas-leds from the vendor list. http://www.christmas-leds.com/ They make "combo clips". White lights slide into the combo clips and then the combo clips clips onto the wire frame. The combo clips come in 19 different colors. Using the combo clips makes it easy, you only need white lights and gives you a lot of flexible on colors. Valerie is very helpful and easy to work with. I purchased and used about 3000 combo clips; and have been pleased with them. Get a couple first as a sample to make sure they'll fit the lights you plan to use.

I salvaged a couple of wire deer from the Goodwill. Honestly, I won't buy a new wire deer, the quality is too cheap. I go for ones that came out about 5-6 years ago. I strip off the incandescent and replace with LEDs. On this one I used warm white mini LEDs. Having a demo to work off of would be very useful to avoid getting too many lights in one section. I don't worry about the clips I just zip tie the lights on.

6255417327_9d1f133c33.jpg

Hey Guys,

Glenn

Glenn,

I was looking at doing the same thing, and understand what you are looking at. I will assume that you are referring to a wireframe that uses minis, (M5's in LEDs).. Take something like a wireframe elf. The elf needs red, green and white (at a minimum), and in order to maximize the best usage of the LEDs you are wanting to replace the bulbs. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a way to do this. As mentioned above, they do sell color caps, but my fear there is that the caps will fade over time (as do incadescent minis), and will eventually need replacement. So what it comes down to is how much you are willing to spend .. cause LEDs PLUS caps are not cheap when you are doing a LOT of frames. But then again, incadescents are becoming harder to find at a reasonable price. What my experience has shown is that Red, Green Incas last 3-4 yrs before fading... blue is terrible... maybe 1-2 yrs TOPS.. yellow seems a bit more longer lasting...

So then you need to figure out how long the LED will truly last vs the incas..... so in a nutshell.. it's not an easy decision, but since I had a good quantity of incas still lying around from previous years, I figured I'd re-string my stuff using the incas, and re-evaluate in three years.

There is one lastoption ... using all white incas and buying Krylon stained glass paint... it's becoming harder to find...and all my hubby can find is red green and yellow colors... but it's 7-10 dollars a can (6oz).

Good luck, I hope in 3 years when I need to replace again, that the LEDs are cheaper and swappable!

I salvaged a couple of wire deer from the Goodwill. Honestly, I won't buy a new wire deer, the quality is too cheap. I go for ones that came out about 5-6 years ago. I strip off the incandescent and replace with LEDs. On this one I used warm white mini LEDs. Having a demo to work off of would be very useful to avoid getting too many lights in one section. I don't worry about the clips I just zip tie the lights on.

Agreed... I'll never buy another reindeer. Way to many of these are being given away. I just used zip ties. It didn't even need to be neat. (mine are on the roof) I even used green wire (incandescent). When I have enough LED to put on the house and change out my current display, I'll switch out the deer. For now, there is not enough left over from projects to do the house so I'll look at doing this in the coming years.