Spt Wire

I have been using a Gemmy for years and finally bought two LOR controllers two weeks ago and have already programmed my first sequence. I can't wait to get the controllers and begin setting up the show. I have been looking at posts regarding SPT Wire and I found this at Homedepot.

http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053

Do you think this wire will work? My longest run will be about 50' controlling a 100 light mini string.

If anyone has an extra contoller they want to sell, I might be interested also.

Thanks.

You're safe! 18 gauge is found on low voltage appliances not to exceed 10 amps. 1 string of Walmart 100 ct mini's is about .33amps. By the numbers, you could attach around 29 boxes of 100 ct lights to that one line... but that is maxed. For safety, you only use 80% of the max, or 8 amps. Either way, you are safe! Most everyone here uses SPT 2 or 16 gauge wire to run their extensions.

As for me, I use a mix of 18 (found forty 20' cords for $1 each) and 16 gauge. I do have 12 gauge but those only power the controllers. Considering that most of my channels have .07 amps, I'm pretty safe. Only a few channels have 3-6 amps (icicle lights) and sometimes I just split that up between 2 channels. Hope this helps.

I used this site http://electrical.about.com/od/wiringcircuitry/a/electwiresizes.htm to find the total max amps per wire gauge.

I have been using a Gemmy for years and finally bought two LOR controllers two weeks ago and have already programmed my first sequence. I can't wait to get the controllers and begin setting up the show. I have been looking at posts regarding SPT Wire and I found this at Homedepot.

http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053

Do you think this wire will work? My longest run will be about 50' controlling a 100 light mini string.

If anyone has an extra contoller they want to sell, I might be interested also.

Thanks.

I'm not an electrican, but virtually anything will a 100 light string at 50' based on my experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Woo hoo, my first PC post! :)

FYI, I just got back from HD and bought two 100 foot orange extension cords, 16 gauge 2 conductor with ground for $14.97 ea. That's $.15 / LF vs $.18 / LF for the 18 gauge and you get a ground! And you get one male and one female plug with the deal absolutely FREE!

I think some of the big box stores see us coming because the orange version (which is the one I bought) was $2 less than the green color. Still less expensive that the roll of 18 gauge.