6" Or 12" Spacing For Roof Line?

I am looking to outline the roof line of my new house with C7 LED's. I am not sure if 6" spacing is appropriate, or 12" spacing? Below is a picture of what my house looks like.

Also, what do you guys suggest as the best clip for sliding under shingles? I was considering the Omni multi-purpose.

Dunkirk_print.jpg

I'm using the $2/box walmart clips(26 or now 28 ct). Got a seemingly endless supply last year for 75% off. They always have extra after the season. I say I won't buy anymore but I usually do :/ As for LED Spacing... Typically I use the 6" spacing that Walmart has on their brand. It works well. This year I'm using 6 channels on the roof outline, red,green,clear,blue,led cool white,led multi. They just fit side by side (all C9 type).

post-6676-0-33843200-1319736670.jpeg

I use the "multipurpose clips" that are sold across a number of chain stores -- I've seen them at HD, Menards, etc. The reason I use them instead of roof clips is because I install lights on roof lines and gutters, so a uniform clip that works on both solves my problem. have C9s, but I'm sure my clips would work with C7s. Here's what they look like:

light_clip.jpg

Like I said, they work on both shingles and gutters. Here is how I use them:

gutter_lights.jpgroof_lights.jpg

And finally, I use 12" spacing on my C9s (6" between red and green; 12 inches between like colors) and I feel that it produces a good enough effect.

roof_red.jpg

Edited by Luke Kamp

I am making the assumption that you are intending to utilize C7 retro LED's. My recommendation would be to use C9's over the C7 bulbs. They are a couple of pennies more per bulb but you gain 2 additional LED bulbs and a larger shroud to diffuse the light. Spacing wise, I use 12" spacing between my red and green C9's. It depends on the appearance you are trying to achieve and the financial commitment you can make.

I use 6 colors of C9 retros on 6 channels with 6 inch spacing.

post-709-0-52952200-1307501070_thumb.jpg

Whatever clip you use...HIGHLY recommend a mount that will hold the lamp horizontal to the ground. By "aiming" the tip of the retro bulb AT the viewer....they do appear MUCH brighter. If held vertical to teh viewer...they still shine but the light is more diffused.

Doug

Whatever clip you use...HIGHLY recommend a mount that will hold the lamp horizontal to the ground. By "aiming" the tip of the retro bulb AT the viewer....they do appear MUCH brighter.

Doug

I never thought about it like that. Very good point. I have gutter guard on all my gutters and would not be able to use my current clips that way. I'd have a lot of searching to do to find something that might work like that for me.

I never thought about it like that. Very good point. I have gutter guard on all my gutters and would not be able to use my current clips that way. I'd have a lot of searching to do to find something that might work like that for me.

I also have Gutter Guards. These work for me AND hold the lamps horizontal. Avail at http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/Original-Shingle-Tab-100-Pack--17617.htm

Doug

Doug, nice clips! But they are out of my price range at $20.00 / 100. I'm closer to the $2.00 / 100 price range :P And it is definitely something to consider after my schooling is done and I'm back in the real world (2013).

Understood, School comes first. How many do you need? I have some extra left over from last years purchase. I have 100 set aside right now but do have more. Send me a PM and I can send to you if you like. A donation to the "cause"

Doug

Understood, School comes first. How many do you need? I have some extra left over from last years purchase. I have 100 set aside right now but do have more. Send me a PM and I can send to you if you like. A donation to the "cause"

Doug

Thanks for the offer! I would decline though. If I were to "switch over" I would need around 1300, or more.(so it's a big chunk of change to convert over) I probably have around 500 spare (after I setup this year) But as you know they do break and wear out. So I'll keep my eyes open for um this after-Christmas sale season.