Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
fireman5214

Santa Tracking Device/radar

Hello all, I have seen another post on here about a santa tracker device and was looking to build one myself with a spare rotating tree stand i have. I figure if it can hold a whole tree it could hold a small satellite dish when i build the base and figure out the weight. I was just wondering are there any how-to pages like http://www.halloweenmonsterlist.info/ but for christmas? I was looking for santa tracker ideas and couldnt find any pics. Also anyone know any NON blowmold elves that I could possibly get to put by it like the elves are tracking santa? Id like to make a small box and a green radar screen and put a light behind it and then like a clock machine to see if I could get the radar screen to move like a scope does on a real radar.

I've saved an old satellite dish for this same project. Haven't gotten to it yet. I do like your idea of the rotating tree stand; though I'm wondering if it'll be strong enough to turn the satellite dish. Unlike a tree that has a balanced load, the dish is going to be heavy on one side. Might test that before you get too far along. I hope it works as that would be an easy way to animate it.

Joe

This is why I mounted the dish as static. Although I am still contemplating making it revolve. This is last year's photo of it attached to the 10' North Pole. I replaced the sensor on the forward arm with a light.

post-8945-0-80236100-1320068636.jpg

Edited by Tim Bateson

I've saved an old satellite dish for this same project. Haven't gotten to it yet. I do like your idea of the rotating tree stand; though I'm wondering if it'll be strong enough to turn the satellite dish. Unlike a tree that has a balanced load, the dish is going to be heavy on one side. Might test that before you get too far along. I hope it works as that would be an easy way to animate it.

Joe

yeah i want to counterweight it for sure to make it a "balanced load" i saw the other thread on here but did not want to hijack that thread so i created my own. I also figured it would be easy to animate, and it keeps someting out of the land fill so I guess I would be going green even though it uses power? Oh well I have a guy offering me a sat dish on craigslist, i posted a wanted ad last night. Im waiting for a reply on how much he wants for it and did state it does not need to work.

I am working on a rotating dish as we speak, so I have an idea what will work, but don't know if it will work 100% (or even for multiple seasons). I am using two toilet flanges as a more ruggedized lazy susan and plan on turning it with a wiper motor. I am only going to have my dish rotate 120 degrees, so that might be a little easier. I am definitely concerned about the weight of the dish and what happens when the winds catch it like a sail, so that was why I tried to look for something beefy to mount it to.

yeah i agree i have to worry about snow and wind loads here. I get some pretty strong winds. I am looking at wood to support mine maybe a dowel or 2 to go in the tree stand, Ill look at trial and error

ok step one is that I got the satellite dish, ex directv, I will be weighing it tomorrow and repainting it to see how much of a counter weight i need. Next step is trying to figure out how to make a rotating radar screen. My idea is an erector set motor, and make a little box put a light in the box, a round circle in the front and paint a piece of plexiglass green. As I do that have the motor spin a black circular item bigger then the green screen and have a 1/4 cut out, this way the opening 1/4 would make the light shine through and create the illusion of a radar scan.

well I got my rotating tree stand down out of the attic 2 days ago, bought a 1X6X4 and a bullister. Got the bullister put into the tree stand and then drilled holes and screwed the trunk holders INTO the wood bullister. I am hoping to work on it tomorrow more, it will be rainy so all indoor projects, got 7 more deer to rewire in LED, a lamppost, and small train and maybe a sleigh yet. A 17 foot tree to do, and multiple other big projects on hand, not enough time in the day.

Here is a preliminary video of my tracker. I have the board long because i thought I might need a counterweight but I do not need it and I will cut the board down tomorrow. My dad wants to hook up some type of video I have no idea what, to an old tv to track santa somehow. I have to talk to him about that and im making a radar screen, stage 2, and making a box on that base.

Here is a preliminary video of my tracker. I have the board long because i thought I might need a counterweight but I do not need it and I will cut the board down tomorrow. My dad wants to hook up some type of video I have no idea what, to an old tv to track santa somehow. I have to talk to him about that and im making a radar screen, stage 2, and making a box on that base.

Are you concerned with using a indoor tree stand outside? I like the idea of your Santa tracker Edited by Mark The Snowman

Are you concerned with using a indoor tree stand outside? I like the idea of your Santa tracker

nope when i was at Lowes one day there was a bunch of scrap plywood on the 1 cart they let me have for free, Im going to build a "box around that and put a rubber sleeve around the rotating device which is a railing bullister with holes drilled and the screws screwed into the bullister so it does not slip. The bullister will be painted black, not sure on the rest of the color combo yet, as it says preliminary and thanks for the compliment. I got the tree stand from my grandparents who no longer needed it so im like AHAH I know what im going to do with it!

My dad wants to hook up some type of video I have no idea what, to an old tv to track santa somehow.

I am assuming he would like to do something like this, but with a sleigh image instead of the airplanes.

This is why I mounted the dish as static. Although I am still contemplating making it revolve. This is last year's photo of it attached to the 10' North Pole. I replaced the sensor on the forward arm with a light.

What font did you use for the word "Santa Tracker"? How did you paint that on so well?

Thanks

Tim

What font did you use for the word "Santa Tracker"? How did you paint that on so well?

Thanks

Tim

im not sure what tim used but it looks like old english and a stencil.

A modified version of Old English would be correct. I used my laser engraver to cut the stencils.

Well done! I have an old dish on the roof I have been wanting to trash, now I have a great re-cycle plan.

i am ALMOST done with mine, i have a problem with a pulley slipping on a belt for my radar screen animation, se my other post under MOTORIZED contraptions