Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
audirick

Ok Guys Just Got A 16 Chan Lor On Order And I May Need Help. Tottaly New To System

Another couple of options are use a gfi breaker in electrical panel for the outlets you are using,and use the child protective caps that plug into unused outlets on all female plug ends. People have posted these ideas on this forum, and I have had gfi issues also . Last night it rained and normally i do not run the show when it does, but I didn't get home before it started to rain.. The show was running and it rained hard . no problems . Also the more a gfi trips as I have been told it gets weak causing it to trip with less effort .

Keep all your connections off the ground if possible. Also use child protector caps on all open plugs. ( or tape )

ok guys so far i can plug my chans in one at a time to gft no problem it doesnt trip at all that way. i can also run chans 9-16 on steady no issue but when i add any of 1-8 pop goes gfi . this is all being done on a steady light. now as said when dry nothing. happens and all lit even when controler wasent in line. allways a rain issue for me .also i have used child safety plugs aka a bunch. and even when as far as to wrap them in electrical tape also. so i am starting to wonder if i am drawing too much on the gfi. the box is on a 20 amp gfi and dual power input system however as said it didnt trip it till rain ..

i have notice this with mine im running 160 channels and 170000 lights this year (2nd year) i have all my cord connections r sealed and water tight i have less than the max amps per channel i even had an electrician come out and put in 16 new outlets that only run my lights and in the rain mine still would trip so after everything done i realized that water was getting in to my actual lights because they r not water proof

Edited by Tino

i have notice this with mine im running 160 channels and 170000 lights this year (2nd year) i have all my cord connections r sealed and water tight i have less than the max amps per channel i even had an electrician come out and put in 16 new outlets that only run my lights and in the rain mine still would trip so after everything done i realized that water was getting in to my actual lights because they r not water proof

what i am wondring also. put in a fresh gfi and still the same thing only in rain as normal and is makeing me crazy all the work and cant run show. i have junctions raised in yard pluged and wraped. controler and outputs covered ect and still no luck so i have to be missing something?

thinking now mabey change to something that would close connections up in a plastic container or something to get by this year. yeah bubble box build over summer to fix. but what can be used for fix and can i see a example of it as i am a visual guy and it helps me to see what you guys do to fix issue.

hey tino please dont take me wrong but arent outdoor lights made for outdoor use or is it that you can buy them sealed as i havent seen them here. i never run indoor lights outside eather but was that mabey the case with your issue at the time? just trying to see if your angle may point me in a direction of fix. and is a good point. never thaught of it that way being sold as outdoor lights. never thaught that would be a problem.

trying the plastic tub and lid thing on connections i can cover and hopeing for best and i think i have to many junctions ... all the lil tubs dont look so great but if anything it may tell the story on the gfi trip issue..

yep not sealed i cut notches in lids for cord to pass threw and they are also zip tied on so they don't pop of then placed lid side down to make the lil dome over junctions.

I have a question that I hope someone here can help me with. I just got in a 16 Channel LOR that was supposed to come in AFTER Christmas but came early (Not complaining). I'd like to get at least one small show up by Dec 23rd but am hitting some snags.

When building a sequence how do I insert my color layout from a previous sequence? In other words, I have named

Channel 1 "Backyard Bushes",

Channel 2 "Side Green Tree",

Channel 3 "Front Icicles",

etc.

So when I start a new sequence how do I insert those colors and channel names? Or do I have to rename them on every new sequence?

Same holds true for my animation, do I have to re-draw that every new sequence?

I have a question that I hope someone here can help me with. I just got in a 16 Channel LOR that was supposed to come in AFTER Christmas but came early (Not complaining). I'd like to get at least one small show up by Dec 23rd but am hitting some snags.

When building a sequence how do I insert my color layout from a previous sequence? In other words, I have named

Channel 1 "Backyard Bushes",

Channel 2 "Side Green Tree",

Channel 3 "Front Icicles",

etc.

So when I start a new sequence how do I insert those colors and channel names? Or do I have to rename them on every new sequence?

Same holds true for my animation, do I have to re-draw that every new sequence?

In your existing sequence, find import/export channel configuration. Export your configuration using a name you'll recognize (I use something like 2011 config). In your new sequence, select import channel configuration and select the file that you created in the first step.

In your existing sequence, find import/export channel configuration. Export your configuration using a name you'll recognize (I use something like 2011 config). In your new sequence, select import channel configuration and select the file that you created in the first step.

Awesome, works like a champ. I am on my way. Thanks Duane.

Rod

hey guys where do you guys get the tune to signs or how do ya make them ? wont to do this in the future when i go on fm transmiter...

I can describe to you how I did it. I have a pic on my Facebook page.

Simple design...

First I started with a piece of plexiglass 24x28" (I think)

I built a frame to slide the plexiglas into using 2x4's

To make the sign I purchased cheep 1.00 flat black and semi gloss red spray paint cans from Walmart.

I purchased 2" and 6" letters and numbers from staples. Each pack cost like $8.00 (25.00 total)

Then I centered the lines and stuck the vinyl letters on the plexi

I then spray painted the front side of the plexi with black spray paint.

I turned the plexi over and sprayed it red on the inside.

I did come back and give it a light second coat of red on the inside and and another on the front.

Then, I removed the vinyl letters. This revealed the red lettering.

Next I, primer, painted, and cut to size some 1x2" furing strips to cover the edge of the plexi. I pre-drilled holes in the wood frame through the plexi. I then attached to the wood frame with drywall screws.

Turning the sign around, I then strung one 25 count C9 clear light set through the inside of the box.

Last, I used scrap wood to cover the back. I also added a carrying handle. It has 18" removable legs. Last year mine sat on the ground, outside of my mini tree line.

Here is a pic of it attached to the house. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=330801750269569&set=pu.184401674909578&type=1&theater

I can describe to you how I did it. I have a pic on my Facebook page.

Simple design...

First I started with a piece of plexiglass 24x28" (I think)

I built a frame to slide the plexiglas into using 2x4's

To make the sign I purchased cheep 1.00 flat black and semi gloss red spray paint cans from Walmart.

I purchased 2" and 6" letters and numbers from staples. Each pack cost like $8.00 (25.00 total)

Then I centered the lines and stuck the vinyl letters on the plexi

I then spray painted the front side of the plexi with black spray paint.

I turned the plexi over and sprayed it red on the inside.

I did come back and give it a light second coat of red on the inside and and another on the front.

Then, I removed the vinyl letters. This revealed the red lettering.

Next I, primer, painted, and cut to size some 1x2" furing strips to cover the edge of the plexi. I pre-drilled holes in the wood frame through the plexi. I then attached to the wood frame with drywall screws.

Turning the sign around, I then strung one 25 count C9 clear light set through the inside of the box.

Last, I used scrap wood to cover the back. I also added a carrying handle. It has 18" removable legs. Last year mine sat on the ground, outside of my mini tree line.

Here is a pic of it attached to the house. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=330801750269569&set=pu.184401674909578&type=1&theater

can i see it in action? and thanks trying to get a feal how yall are doing the signs.

Try Shindigz.

Look at their banners.

You can get a 54 inch professional banner for $15.00

If you wait for their sales. You can get one for $8.00

There is a thread in one of these forums on this.

ok guys here is my crappy vid to see how i am doing keep in mind this is not all of it but ya get the idea .

hit me up on the tube or here trying to find more i can do to make better ect . and yes the wife made vid happen and helped a lot on the sequencing did most all of it . pat on back to wife for sure....

need figgure the gate out on the right thowe dogs keep killing the lights???? 2 gates there and thaught rope light but thinking 18 feet each side is gona be way too long.

i did fix upper window where lights pulled down a bit was windy before vid. always something as i am sure yall know.

Edited by audirick

can i see it in action? and thanks trying to get a feal how yall are doing the signs.

I don't have a specific video of it from last year. Both signs I made were placed at the edge of the display and out of the video range. I did animate them to 1 song last year but this year I keep them on constantly. I still have people who don't see the sign. I'm actually considering making 2 more for the sides of the house for cars that are parked too far away from the front; something I hadn't noticed till I made a few car visits this season.

The prototype (green) did not come out as I had hoped. It looks great during the day time. The 2nd one (red) lights beautifully as I realized I put too much paint on the first model. I will be taking the green one down and using some pain remover on it to allow more light to come through it.

I'll see about taking a vid... my cell phone camera has not worked in 4 months so it's a bit more involved :(

clyde thanks for the info again it gives me a sense of things for sure . did ya check out my vid? not at all a huge yard at all the change i made this year was lor and the rows threw the middle. considdered takeing the red white trees out of the front of yard and doing leaping arches or something ? just trying to be tastefull about it. so i am open to ideas you guys .

Audrick i think the Display looks great atleast you got LOR and Small Yards Atleast you have a Yard m,y Display has to be built off the sides of my house and on the house i got 1 foot infront of the house before it hits the road. i am dying not being able to afford LOR this year i got LOR's software demo and been playing with it for weeks and somewhat can't seem to understand some of it but i think it is becouse i do not have the controller but i like your display and to me that is a very nice yard. Wish i had one even half that size..

See what i got to play with http://youtu.be/oRfHYKxzBZQ

not at all a huge yard at all...

Trust me, your yard is big enough to do anything! My yard is around 8' from the front of the house to the wall. In order for me to put MORE up, I must find a way to attach it to the house lol (my lot is just wide, that's all)

Your sequencing is very well done. I’d suggest that you use your channels a bit more by putting all the windows on 1 channel, then animate your duel mini mega trees with clear or red… One of my favorite parts of the vid was when you jumped from clear to red on the trees, they looked like they were spinning. Next year I’m making an 8 leg 10’ PVC tree. I’ll mirror the legs that are opposite each other and make it a 4 channel tree. Just saying that it’s not the number of channels, but what you can do with them!

Yes! Do some arches! As I mentioned before, I use a 5 channel arch… That could be mirrored through 3 or 4 arches (I don’t know what the width of your lot is). This year, I have 6 arches spaced equally over 24 feet (so every 48”). You could use 4 channels for that!

Let’s see, that’s 8 channels down and 8 left….

1 - Roof line

2 – Windows

3 – Candy Cains

4 - sidewalk lights

5 – ground lights

6 – bushes clear

7 – bushes red

8 - ???

Just some thoughts is all. I remember my first year and the learning curve I had. What a nightmare, learning how to sequence, deal with issues and power, construct display items. If someone would have told me I could animate MORE instead of trying to control 2 channels to each element, I'd have more than doubled the lights! I could have done arches my second year. Also, I'm not taking into consideration what your expansion plans are?

So, when you're out of room, where do you go? What do you do? Start working on the roof? It looks like you have a very accessible roof; one that you can stand on. I can already see how I'd build a few platforms and add lots of stuff, including a huge star at the peak. I put my reindeer on the roof, and next year I plan to add a few fans/half-pinwheels (channel hogs). I seriously can see the possibilities!

big plan is going to be 16 more chans it has got me hooked. also plan upgradeing to prob 4 gfi 20 amp circuts also to be sure i have plenty of power needs. mabey i could share a sequence with ya so you can see what i got going on? it may be of help. oh yeah can i get a good look at the arch build?

Edited by audirick