Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
audirick

Ok Guys Just Got A 16 Chan Lor On Order And I May Need Help. Tottaly New To System

ok guys please give any advise on a lor 16 with standered software as i need to learn to program songs for display. i dont wont to ask for done shows but i would like to have a few to get me going if your willing to help me get going.

i had been wonting to do this for some time now so please advise me how to get going and point me to some things i may need as i go if you will. i am going to start writeing shows while on order to be ready when it comes in . i have been playing with the visualizer as it seams to help see whats going to do what in show .

thanks Rick

Edited by audirick

1 where to get a few pre made shows for 16 chan set up eather sharing or buy.

2. any advise on writeing sequences. is there a ability to pause or skip in song insted of haveing to play frome start to see the additions to sequence i just put in .

3. advise a few good song choices for a new guy just getting going?

4 have intrest on leaping arches but dont have a lot of room, so whats a small arch requirements to look proper channels size ect.

5 tips in general to help speed up the sequence edeiting and writeing, seems to be the most challangeing over all outside of song choice.

6 over all advise that would be of help me being a first timer in lor system.

Have you actually received your controller yet? You may be waiting for some time as LOR is still behind on shipping all the back orders.

It may be best to start for 2012 rather than crunch for 2011. As for your questions.

1. Check out Ultra Shows for some example sequences.

2. You can start and stop your play back in the sequence editior using the space bar, or you can change the play range to just the windowed view or selected section.

3. The best tips I can say are, take your time, learn and ask questions. Buy lots of extension cords, when you think you have bought enough, go buy some more. And finally, don't get frustrated.

4. Leaping arches are a cool addition, but a channel eater. each arch averages 8 channels depending on size. Most people i know use a 10' pipe with 800 lights wrapped around, each 100ct is 1 channel.

5. Slow down, don't speed up. The more you learn the faster programming will become. If you rush it will look like randomly blinking lights.

6. Ask lost of Questions, Test often, and Back-Up twice as often. Welcome to PC, and the crazy obsession with over the top Christmas decorating.

1 where to get a few pre made shows for 16 chan set up eather sharing or buy.

Google is your Friend! Many LOR users share them as a download on their web pages. LOR sells them as well as Wow Lights.

2. any advise on writeing sequences. is there a ability to pause or skip in song insted of haveing to play frome start to see the additions to sequence i just put in .

The space bar is very helpful, as the previous post mentioned

3. advise a few good song choices for a new guy just getting going?

Songs I've used:

Wizards in Winter ~ TSO

All I Want for Christmas ~ Meriah Carey

Glee's Christmas Album

Little St. Nick ~ Hanson

Christmas List ~ Simple Plan

Pirates of the Caribbean theme

Click on my YouTube signature to see what I've used.

4 have intrest on leaping arches but dont have a lot of room, so whats a small arch requirements to look proper channels size ect.

I you watched my videos, you'll notice I use a 5 channel mini arch. I used this thread () to help me build my arches.

----->>> edit<<<----- Wanted to mention that as a new LOR user, you can "mirror" channels. You could build four 5-channel arches and connect [Arc1 channel 1] to [Arch 2 channel 1] and [Arch 3 Channel 1] and [arch 4 channel 1]

Repeat this for the 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th channels of the arch. They will all look the same and you'll get the effect that you have more lights. In the coming years you might plan on expanding to more controllers which will cost you a bunch, but you can give the illusion of lots of channels!

My biggest mistake my first year with LOR, the desire to control EVERY element of my display with 3 colors, was wasting lots of channels for individual control. Example, I have 12 windows on the front of the house... I had to make them 2 channels each... 24 channels used when I could have connected the upstairs windows (mirrored) and the downstairs windows (mirrored) then only used 2 channels (Clear and Multi) upstairs, and 2 channels for the downstairs. Try not to think "more channels", think of how you can use the channels to create "more lights"

5 tips in general to help speed up the sequence edeiting and writeing, seems to be the most challangeing over all outside of song choice.

First, start playing with the program. I learned with S3 (latest version of the software) that you can create groups, which is helpful when you have more than 2 controllers. Also, there is a track's funchtion I use to create "short cuts" to sections of my controller so I can create groupings that cross over channels easier. You probably won't need to know lots about those just yet, but if you do arches, they may help.

Generally though, I learned more when I found sequences that others were sharing to be very instructional. I have never stopped learning from the way others build their sequences.----->>> end of edit<<<-----

6 over all advise that would be of help me being a first timer in lor system.

Gain some electrical knowledge. As the display grows, your power needs grow. Hooking up a new circuit is not hard but can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Also, it's expensive to have an electrician come in anytime you need an upgrade.

Keep your eyes open for deals on extension cords. Easily, the most expensive item in your display. Sure, 16 cords is not too bad... but when you jump up to 128 channels, that's a whole lot of cords. (Use the electrical forum)

I keep a binder, using sheet protectors, of all my projects for the display. Anywhere from where my controllers are located, how many channels are going to different display elements, to how many strings of lights I used + which way the plug is mounted for ease of connection to LOR. It's nice to have something to come back to when you're repairing something or want to build more for next season. I also keep my channel charts and amp charts from year to year so I can refer back to them when I have a question about how I did something. Finally, I have each area of the display measured off (gutter lengths, porch roof size, window sizes, etc...) so when I decide to build window frames with my lights installed on them, I already have the measurements ready. I don't have to climb up the ladder for anything.

Edited by Clyde Lindsey

yeah i agree there i am full of questions . lights are up and pritty much layed out been useing the viewer to see how things are going to look .at this point been doing the song i am santa clause. well the wife has lol and she has been on it. she has a musical background so that does help. that was her gripe was trying to stop in a certin spot in song and make changes in edetor for lights . so i guess she could use space bar stop it in that part of song add to light sequence the press space bar and see her changes to display frome there insted of haveing to play threw whole song to see change . we are on say the last 30 sec of song now and as a few had said work middle of song and fill out seams to help . would like to have a couple 16 chan songs if any of you guys would be willing to share. as far as the arches we was wondering if we could do say 3 to 4 channels and get a deacent efect simular to the ghost busters arches we had seen granted not as many channels say the part where arch is all blue sollid lit and has the white light leap side to side for example. and yes the controler should be here this week as i ordered earlyer and they say all is on track to get the unit in this week or end of .. say i wonted to go bigger next year whats best order months to get units quick...

...as far as the arches we was wondering if we could do say 3 to 4 channels and get a deacent efect simular to the ghost busters arches we had seen granted not as many channels say the part where arch is all blue sollid lit and has the white light leap side to side for example.

May have missed this in my post, but I would do this with only 6 channels. 5 channels for 1 arch then 1 channel for the blue lights. You'd then have 10 channels to use on your other elements. I don't know how a 4 channel arch would look. Probably need to make the sections of the arch with 200 lights and test it out.

...and yes the controler should be here this week as i ordered earlyer and they say all is on track to get the unit in this week or end of .. say i wonted to go bigger next year whats best order months to get units quick...

LOR runs a Limited quantity sale in February. That's when I get mine. Also a summer sale in July, and there is no quantity limit then.

would any one have any 16 channel sequences that are good for a new guy to lor i could mess around with ? guys thanks for all info also it helps. oh yeah got a ton of power cords of various size ect so should be good there also doing as said in set up haveing one channel run multiple items as said miror . so on track that way. wife has one song about 30 sec to compleation done too . it is i am santa clause sounds like iron man and is looking pritty cool thuse far.also have tso wizerds of winter ready so have a start looking for ideas . thaught about trying run dmc hollis a xmas song they did .

I'm glad your already worrying about extension cords but you will need no less than 1 good power cord, 2 if your going mini's long enough to make it to your receptacle from you lor box location and at minimum 16 cords long enough to get to each display item you have. And a 15' cord does not go as far as you think. Last year with 6 channels using store bought cords I used 40+ cords that were 15' long. This year over 100 store bought and over 1000' of custom spt extension cords!

The other advice I have is plan, plan and plan some more! And of course have fun!

oh yeah i hear you on that i have cords and cords in box and yes not just extention. heavy cords too for makeing long runs from the box but as said once i get plugging you bet I will need another lol. story of my life with lights even before the controler.

would any one have any 16 channel sequences that are good for a new guy to lor i could mess around with ? guys thanks for all info also it helps.

Haven't seen him on here for a bit, but I'll advertise for him. click on the link---> http://www.quartzhillchristmas.com/13.html

He was the 3rd choice down when I typed "16 channel LOR sequences" into Google. Plenty to chose from. REMEMBER, Google is your FRIEND.

I'd send you some of mine but they are 156 channels

Here are a few sites that help me create my sequences remember just because a sequence has more channels then your doesn’t mean you can’t use it copy and paste the areas that you like in to your sequence under the edit tab in the LOR software the select button will allow you to select a whole row or section to copy at once. Also you can copy timing and past it into you sequence.

http://www.highcountrylights.com

http://www.christmascarolina.com/forums/showthread.php/1569-Free-Sequences?p=10662&posted=1#post10662

http://www.lightsforriley.com/sequences.html

http://www.lightorama.com/Documentation.html#Training_Presentations

http://2oldladiesandanoven.com/Downloads.htm

http://bumble-radio.weebly.com/sequences.html

hope this helps

ok guys stuck a bit on rockin around the x mas tree song i found one for 16 in links i was given . i get it loaded up and a anamation for house done but it doesnt activate the lights on house when it is in the show list i also have sound. what am i doing wrong? do i need coppy and paste the whole song sequence as a new or something to get it to work and if so how do i do that. oh got controler the 23rd yesterday :) so far a good start and a few songs done by hand so just trying to get a few more in the que to run this year.

ok guys stuck a bit on rockin around the x mas tree song i found one for 16 in links i was given . i get it loaded up and a anamation for house done but it doesnt activate the lights on house when it is in the show list i also have sound. what am i doing wrong? do i need coppy and paste the whole song sequence as a new or something to get it to work and if so how do i do that. oh got controler the 23rd yesterday :) so far a good start and a few songs done by hand so just trying to get a few more in the que to run this year.

Typically when sharing a sequence, I'll open the downloaded original file and save it as a name YOU will recognized. Then I completely delete ALL of the sequencing.

Next, I use the "import channel config" option under the EDIT menu. I select my current year channel configuration.

Then, I open up the original copy of the downloaded file. If you've done this correctly, your NEW FILE will automatically have the EXACT same timing as the original file and you'll be starting with a blank slate.

Finally, with both your NEW and DOWNLOADED file open, simply select the elements you want to COPY from the download file then PASTE them to the element in YOUR display in your new file.

That is as clear as I can make it.

Anytime you use someones sequence, everything will run the same (if you use this method I've outlined above) BUT you will have to edit some of the sequence to FIT your display. You may find that it is not an exact match to your set up. They are very helpful. I have done (other than the Holdman files) 6 of these. Some made the cut with some work, some needed completely re-syncronized, and others didn't fit at all. But remember, giving credit to the people who have shared is just as important. Hope this helps.... happy Thanksgiving.

thanks for info and shareing guys .... what fm transmitter do you guys use other than the lor unit or is there any other options to use? based on budget and small range of under 75 feet to street.

I use the Belkin tunecast II

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-FM-Transmitter-TuneCast-Pack/dp/B004YN67QA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322254646&sr=8-3

I did the antenna modification and it goes about 3/4 of the block. Cost $20 back 3 years ago. The link above is a 3-pack for under $50 (could sell one on ebay and keep the other as a spare). It is not the BEST out there, BUT it's very cost effective. I have no issues at all. I'm sure there are others that sell for under $100 you can build yourself with better range and clarity. My display is less than 10' from the curb... I don't need anything too powerful.

clyde thanks for the info what is said mod ? its looking ideal for my needs, what would you say range is also , again thanks you guys have been a big help in all this..

Well, it might look hard, but it's actually pretty easy. Took about 20 minutes. It requires 1 spot of soldering.

This YouTube video explains it pretty well. Just search Google and you'll get 10 detailed how-to lessons others have posted.

As of tonight, a friend was about 1/4 mile away from the house. He said they could hear it on the radio at that range. Not sure how strong it was for them. As I said, I'm literally 15' from the road and my range is good. In the past, I could make it nearly the entire block without losing reception.

would anyone have a transmitter to send out my audio for display on fm looking into the options . works good so far on speaker and all like it so far . only prob at this point is rain it kills me every time . so i am gona try baby wall plug covers also and see what happens .so i am open to thaughts on the fix its driveing me nuts and i surely dont wont to kill the controler all is on gfi outlets to in hopes to protect system.

ok got to looking i have it all on a 20 amp gfi and keep kicking of the lights if i go steady in rain but all is good when dry outside grr not sure how to see if to much draw on outlet was thinking mabey supply power frome 2 outlets? to see if thats just too much ..thaughts?

ok got to looking i have it all on a 20 amp gfi and keep kicking of the lights if i go steady in rain but all is good when dry outside grr not sure how to see if to much draw on outlet was thinking mabey supply power frome 2 outlets? to see if thats just too much ..thaughts?

i am running TWO Electrical Wires from my Fuse Panel to outside and putting Each with a double plug so ill have 8 plugs 4 on one 20amp breaker and 4 on a second 20 amp breaker im told that is what is recomended becouse LOR is looking for 30 - 40 amp

well this is wierd to me ran fine like it is.then the rain starts all acts a fool now cant even run a seq now kicks gfi , but in testing it will run all lights in a chase or shimmer with no issues when raining seams to be more of a steady on shut down. ran full showes with no issues provided it wasent raining. it only kicks gfi and not the pannel breaker i did check controler for any issues but did not see anything wrong all was dry ect.

Edited by audirick

i am running TWO Electrical Wires from my Fuse Panel to outside and putting Each with a double plug so ill have 8 plugs 4 on one 20amp breaker and 4 on a second 20 amp breaker im told that is what is recomended becouse LOR is looking for 30 - 40 amp

are you running gfi outlets outside also?

The rain is tripping the gfi because power is leaking into the ground. The only soloution is to use extension cords with in-use "bubble" covers and if you're using LED lights to use sealed sets.