How Is Your Setup Coming?

Sucks though as I leave when it's dark and come home when it's dark.

This is the part that is driving me nuts. Back when I was still taking classes I could get away during parts of the day and drive the 30 min home to work on lights. If I was behind I could always rely on that week off for Thanksgiving. Now this whole job thing is making things difficult. All my setup is in the dark and I don't know when I'll get on the roof because of that. All my weekends have been spent on yard work (oh the leaves). On the brighter side, at least I got a job after graduation to fund this obsession.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 90% done hanging lights, I would be 100% but I keep adding more elements. All I have left to do is run extension cords, and turn on the LOR...and of course debug I've planned on that for being my first year.

I might be starting over, we just had a tornado warning at my house.....

I might be starting over, we just had a tornado warning at my house.....

:blink: Not what you want to hear at this time of year.

I'm painting my controller stands that are now close to the display. Tonight, I'll be working on the C9 light strips for the sofit. 1 more controller to "fix" then I will start connecting them up.

well I finished sooner than I thought have all lights tested now,Black friday needs to get here so I can just hang them up:).On a side note I found around 10 dead stands of Mini lights so now I have a ton of replacement bulbs for my other 100+ strands:)

Edited by lightman20

OK, as of today, everything is up other than some last minute strobes. Starting tomorrow, I have to wire up all 256 channels after I place the controllers. Doing OK on time but I want to test run it this weekend but Utah is looking at a Friday/Saturday storm....again! It has stormed every weekend since I started the setup. Mother Nature is making this year very difficult although the weekdays have been nice. Just not much time on those days. Fingers crossed....still shooting for test this weekend sometime.

This is the part that is driving me nuts. Back when I was still taking classes I could get away during parts of the day and drive the 30 min home to work on lights. If I was behind I could always rely on that week off for Thanksgiving. Now this whole job thing is making things difficult.

I'm back in college full time and I see what you're talking about. Classes only on Tue/Thur this semester but work is adding an extra day to the weekend :( So I only have Monday and Wednesday to really work on the display. I work tomorrow at 5:30 am till like 3:30 and I'll be dead tired. Tonight when I get home, I'll finish the roof line and icicle lights and adding clear, multi, and blue led's to the windows. After that I must start wrapping the last 5 trees with red and green strings. Then... then I'll be ready to hook up the controllers and test them out!

I have Drill this weekend (sat/sun) then decorating the restaurant on Monday after I'm done working 6am -4pm. Next week is Thanksgiving break, but some how it won't seem like it as I must work Thanksgiving day, Black Friday, Sat, and Sun. All of which are10 hour days :( If I don't finish set up before Thanksgiving I'm not going to stress. Honey Badger don't care! lol

about 80 percent up, I got 10 controllers up and running and tested, a little over 50000 lights up right now, give or take....dont tell the with but its more on the side of give.lol still need to make 2 8 channel arches, and make to roof mounts for the roof. I better be done for Sunday, I cant take any more time off. here we go..

This is the part that is driving me nuts. Back when I was still taking classes I could get away during parts of the day and drive the 30 min home to work on lights. If I was behind I could always rely on that week off for Thanksgiving. Now this whole job thing is making things difficult. All my setup is in the dark and I don't know when I'll get on the roof because of that. All my weekends have been spent on yard work (oh the leaves). On the brighter side, at least I got a job after graduation to fund this obsession.

I hear ya! If it wasn't for my job; i wouldn't have been able to go animated. Thank goodness for vacation and holiday time off. Even when i was in school i worked part time in the fast food biz, and i had to work on Black Friday. Not cool

Well, I have the house line done; including the roof. Got my Holdman Star up; and half of the trees done. This weekend will be the bushes; cut the grass (hopefully for the last time), setup the mega tree, arches, and mini trees. Then its time for the power runs!

I worked from about 6:30am yesterday until after dark. I just finished plugging in the last item when the snow set in. It snowed pretty good last night. Today I had to link up all the controllers and make the power runs in the snow. Got it all done and ran the hardware utility......everything came on! Last thing I want to do is add some strobes to the roof....hopefully tomorrow. Tonight around midnight I am running the first test show. Still a little to do with some music but I feel amazing relief now. I know it is all worth it in the end but man this year seemed tough for some reason! Continued success to the rest of you during setup!

This time of year is really , really stressful for me. I have the most fun with the creating and sequencing end of this hobby - so it keeps growing and growing to the point where the setup is unbelievable. Setup last year was around 200 hours, this years will have to take longer cuz I added 2 15 foot spiral trees among other things. All my clients are aware that I am unavailable, except for emergencies during the month of November. It is a month of full time setup from first light till I'm too beat to continue, usually around 8:00. It is a sometimes overwhelming task but it's all worth it in the end.

By the way, never updated my sig. My light total now is well over 280,000 stress inducing, insanity laden bulbs! Back to work.

In a word....."WOW!" Can't wait to see those spirals. Good luck with your progress. I can't imagine a setup as complex as yours. I am only working with 64 channels and around 50,000 lights this year. Next year all that will double. And now that I got into Halloween shows, I have not got the first bulb out yet for the Christmas show, simply because I got a little burnt out with all that and work. It will be non stop right through Thanksgiving night. Like you I start very early, but work through midnight sometimes up til 3 or 4 in the morning. Can't wait to get it all done. Love all the happiness it brings each year.

Sixty percent done. I have my mega tree finished and all the groundbushes and trees done. Working on the house (c-9s lining eaves, icicles wreaths and garland). Weather is very uncooperative this year if it's not raining, we're having 40 mph winds. I don't start until December 1st so I should make it even with the bad weather. Next year I'm starting in March. Lol.

66% finished here. Show is running perfectly on the roof and right half of the display. 1 controller to fix before I can begin wiring up the last zone in the display. Hoping to have it done tonight. Mega Tree and roof top may not make it this year. (at least not by Thanksgiving)

Still 5 more artificial white trees to wrap with red and green lights (pre-lit with clear). I work all week too :( Monday 3pm-11pm. Tuesday 5:30am- 3pm. Wednesday 10:30 -8:30 (busy night in the restaurant) and Thursday 6am- 2pm Then Thanksgiving dinner. Basically 2 half days to setup the rest.

Weather is very uncooperative this year if it's not raining, we're having 40 mph winds.

I agree, the weather in the Midwest has not been very helpful this year. If it's warm, it's windy. If it's calm, it's raining. If it's dry, it's really cold. :wacko: Only a couple prime setup days since October.

Still have not got the first thing out yet. Today begins my annual around the clock hustle. I hope to get things done by Thur, but most likely will be Fri night. No stress, it will be up when it is. Still have to redo my arches, making new sleeves, and Bethlehem star, going from minis to c7's so it can have three seperate channels. Going to do final constructions today and begin setup tonight or tomorrow morning. Looks like it will be another year of two and three in the morning setting up. I love it though! Just remember to keep it fun.

Major mishap yesterday...20 Ft mega with hand crank, (1st year with the crank)...96 strings....going along just fine, got all strings attached, and cranked it to the top...when I released the handle, the lights started coming down...I put the cable going in the wrong direction...I could either (a) jam something in the sprocket, or ( :cool: bring all the lights down and start over, as nobody is around to hold the cable, while I redo it, and hold the weight of 96 strings plus the apparatus...(I am using the christmas light show mega tree, so I have this big PVC ring going all the way around...so I opted for ( :cool: and when lowering the lights, I had the biggest fricken tangled mess you would ever want to see...so I lost sunlight, and had to put my head lamp on and march on...3.5 hours later, the cable is restrung, lights are hooked back up and tonite, I will actually see if they work, and didn't damage too many of them while untangling...Lord give me patience and strength!

Edited by thevikester