Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
chowell

How Is Your Setup Coming?

Finally got the roof all lit last week. Was attempting to do some more lighting from the ladder and the weather set in big time the night before last. We have about 4 inches on the ground and it's cold today! Going to delay me a bit. Meantime I am inside the garage re-wrapping mini trees with LED's from last years sale. Going to try to get back on the ladder today but always makes me nervous when it's wet out. If the sun comes out today it should melt off. Funny how every year I start mid October and feel good about it...then by this time I am feeling rushed! Just finished my sixth song for the season this morning. Going to shoot for one or two more by Thanksgiving.

I feel like I am behind schedule this year. I actually got drawn to go deer hunting with my son's so that delayed me a weekend.

Got started this week and although it is cool, living in Arizona has its benefits when putting lights up! I don't have to worry about dealing with snow and wet on the roof!

I hope everything goes relatively smoothly this year!!!

so far so good here, the weater forecast shows 66 degrees here for 2 days, and my garage is full of christmas with cars sitting out, i look across the street to my neighbor who has a non animated display and about 40 inflatables.. his cars are in his driveway, christmas in his garage and his yard too... its like battle of the best lol

It's all going up. I've decided to make sections for my LED C9's. I'm using 6 strings for LOR (red/green/clear(warm)/blue/multi/clear(cool)). After putting them up on the lower roof yesterday, I realized I needed an easier way to hang them so they go up faster, easier, and in sections. Also, If there's a problem I can pull a section down without disrupting the show. I took some pics, but since I'm not done with the "constructions phase" of the project, I won't be posting them yet.

I'm thinking I might do a "how-to" thread. Also, I may consider building frames for the windows? Who knows? In any event, I've got 1 section complete and 3 more to build. I somehow lost my wallet right before the hardware store closed so I quit for the night and will have to find it in the morning. Then If I have time, I may build 1 or 2 more tomorrow. Gotta start studying for an exam now :(

I actually got finished this weekend. I can't believe it went so smoothly. Had great help and got done a full week ahead of schedule. Now its time to try and add another song before show time.

This is my first year with LOR and I couldn't be more excited.

All animated is up and working. I now have to sit through my entire 86min show to ensure everything is working correctly. I also still have to put up my non-animated stuff like cutouts and small items.

So far I've gotten about 25 to 27,000 lights up so far. Hopefully tomorrow working with someone I can finish the display. I'd really like to at least get it all up by this weekend. 50,000 lights in total!

Wow, I have at least another 3 weeks of 12-14 hour days and then, maybe, fingers crossed, maybe, this boat floats...I could not imagine the feeling of finishing up weeks before light up and kicking back to tweak the animation. probably wouldn't happen if my build started in August.

Edited by Bill V

Got the roof and gutters done this weekend ........weather was great......Sneaking out of work in the afternoons this week to get started on my mega tree and spiral tree it the weather holds up....... Bill: are you serious 250K lights? I'd need an army of help to do that, How do you keep it all straight?

Bill: are you serious 250K lights? I'd need an army of help to do that, How do you keep it all straight?

I was just thinking the same thing? But I guess it might come down to something like I've done, created a binder with all my designs and ideas for each season. I put them in a protective sleeve and use them for reference when I can't remember what I did 2 years ago. For example... I'm building C9 light holders to house (1x4"s are drying after beining painted the color of the sofit ) the 6 different stings of lights on my upper roof line. I've got my own "how-to". Also, if i need a measurement, I can just look it up. I also am able to put things in order of setup/tear-down. I bet Bill has written a few books by now. But I digress...

Today was configure controllers day. I've put the finishing touches on 4 controllers and am going to start hooking them up outside on either Wednesday or Friday. I finished my 3-channel Bethlehem star. Also, I made a 3-foot five-point star using dowel rods and rope light. No idea where that's going yet :P And, I also started testing display elements as I took them out of the basement. Still studying for exams so I can't spend the "whole" day doing this :confused:

This time of year is really , really stressful for me. I have the most fun with the creating and sequencing end of this hobby - so it keeps growing and growing to the point where the setup is unbelievable. Setup last year was around 200 hours, this years will have to take longer cuz I added 2 15 foot spiral trees among other things. All my clients are aware that I am unavailable, except for emergencies during the month of November. It is a month of full time setup from first light till I'm too beat to continue, usually around 8:00. It is a sometimes overwhelming task but it's all worth it in the end.

By the way, never updated my sig. My light total now is well over 280,000 stress inducing, insanity laden bulbs! Back to work.

Whew. Just got power back late last night after having none for 10 days after the Nor'easter. Lost many trees that I usually cover in lights. Need a couple more days to clean trees and limbs from the yard. I had planned on being half done with the setup by now but haven't started yet. To boot, I have to travel for 10 days and return the Sat. after Thanksgiving, when I usually start the show. Looks like many late nights in the dark in the near future. Stupid Daylight Savings! lol Trying to keep spirit up to still have a show. This is my second year and I was sooo looking forward to it. Hope it can be pulled off.

I am so far behind I'm questioning if I will get it up, got about 2k of my 55k lights up! I had surgury 4 weeks ago and just havn't got my energy back! Looks like its time to go stock up on beer this week end and invite some friends over.

Ended up getting stitches in my back yesterday (non setup related), so now I'm going to have to take it easy for the next couple weeks. Hopefully I can enlist some help this weekend to keep things on schedule.

I am so far behind I'm questioning if I will get it up, got about 2k of my 55k lights up! I had surgury 4 weeks ago and just havn't got my energy back! Looks like its time to go stock up on beer this week end and invite some friends over.

I feel you! Hope you feel better soon!

I spent a good 12 hours today working on set-up. Current trees are up, red/green/clear lights around all windows, C9's in the ground, wreath and new light propellers are mounted on the house, and 60% of the up-stairs lighting is hooked up to the controllers. Also, I prepped the ground C9's (200) on the plastic stakes. They will go in the ground tomorrow after work. I've never been this far ahead. But there is still so much more to do...

Light boxes (3 sections) need constructed, adding thee 3' and four 6' red/green/clear white trees to the display which still need strung with lights. Build the base support for the Bethlehem star, mount 6 channel C9's on the top roof line, paint the controller housings, and cut-to-fit HD extension cords for the controllers that will be place in the display.

Lots more work before the magic starts.

I'm behind. I had some big plans for this year, but now I'm just focused on converting the last of the incandescent lights to LED's and replacing my ratty-looking artificial 5-year old mini trees with wire-frame versions. I started recruiting paid helpers to help with the LED string rework -- making solid colors out of multi-colored strings, turning half-wave into full-wave, zip-tying super strings, etc... -- and wrapping the mini-trees, but it is still go to be pushing it these next two weeks.

Some projects and sequences will have to wait and come online after Lights On.

still testing here got 2 boxes of mini lights,Box of LED's,and Rope Light left to get through hoped to be finished this week or early next week.Then once Black Friday comes everything goes up and should have it up and running by the end of that weekend.

My tree line was finished about a week ago. New electrical panels hooked up too. Now I've been working on roof C9s. I'm putting everything on strips of wood so it goes up and comes down faster. Mega poles are together too, but not up. Things are taking forever since I am adding so many new things and trying to make everything pre-assembled for faster install next year. Weather is HORRIBLE, rained for 3 days, then got super cold (for November). This weekend the temp finally warmed up, but 40 mph winds coming with it, then rain again. When will I ever get on the roof? On top of all of that, I don't even have 6 of the 1602 controller cards I need. Now I'm having to order unassembled cards and soldering them next week. Maybe I will make it by December. :unsure:

Planned on getting everything up this weekend, so I could have the next couple weeks to build more things that I have planned to go up, but mother nature and my wife decided to change my plans. Went and bought c9 led's to replace the incad. c7's I had around the roof, bought 5 strings, which is what I have with the incads. My daughter helped put those up today (she pooped out on me yesterday) and found I'm 1 string short which is weird cuz they're the same length as the incads. After shopping with the wife today for over half the day, I thought I was in the clear....then she pointed out that the yard was looking shaggy after I just mowed it last weekend....holding back the bad words at this point, I mowed. So, I wasn't able to get anything up and was extremely bummed. Tuesday is supposed to be clear and sunny, so hopefully I can do something after work. Sucks though as I leave when it's dark and come home when it's dark.

Glad to say I think for the most part I am FINISHED... Spending the week before Thanksgiving in Hawaii so I had to get done early... have ran everything through several times and it looks great (my first year using LOR BTW). I am especially happy with my megatree... it is only two channel multi-color, but I intermingled some blinking multis on the second channel- so it literally looks like it is shining!... Sorry for my over-enthusiasm... just very excited for the night of black friday for my lighting ceremony!