Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Clyde Lindsey

How Do You Mount Your Lor Units In Your Display

This is my first year and I've had a few "questionable" people inquire about how the lights work. My controllers are in the yard and are only marginally secure. When they ask, I've told them the lights are operated by computer and that seems to work. One person pointed and asked about the controller boxes. I made up a story about purchasing the metal boxes at Home Depot to keep my extension cords organized and dry. Thankfully, he bought my story!

I made up a story about purchasing the metal boxes at Home Depot to keep my extension cords organized and dry. Thankfully, he bought my story!

I sort of did the same thing when the newspaper and tv station came to do a story. I just said the computer connects to a bunch of boxes around the house where the stuff plugs in. I'd love to give LOR a plug, but I don't want everyone knowing there's almost $2000 worth of computer equipment out there. It also helps that I keep half my controllers in 5 gallon buckets and throw garbage bags over everything. Anything in a bucket or a garbage bag doesn't look that valuable. lol I've also tried not to tell people there's over a mile of copper extension cords out there. Several $1000 worth of copper was stolen out of a warehouse about 4 blocks from me...hoping that doesn't happen to me either.

I am looking to change my controller situation for the CY12 Christmas.

My wife is quiet the painter, so I am going to make some plywood boxes, prime and seal them and then have her paint them up to look like Christmas Presents.

This will allow me to lock the boxes to trees, hide the controllers, and give me a place to roll up the excess extension cords. Should look cool too:)

Mike.

Here's my vid of "behind the scene's" to help explain how I setup my mini arches and radio sign and firesticks... At about the 8 minute-mark, you get a glimpse of how my controllers are stored on one side of the display. (Green box with lots of extension cords attached to it). 2 of my main units are setup like this. The rest are the original units from 4 years ago or built into a surplus exterior box bought from SkyCraft for 10.00 each... Though, I may just do a bit different setup with those for next year.

I currently just leave all my controllers sitting on the ground. However, a few years back I snagged a picture off of a forum where someone mounted their controllers to a piece of wood, then stabilized that with a piece of rebar and PVC. I'll let the picture speak for itself...

lormount.JPG

This is because I don't trust anyone to NOT steal them. Locked down tight under my garage door. This "Security" measure costs me about $200 per box in extension cord cost.

6469224147_562ae4b0fa.jpg

LOR Boxes

As a retired LEO I worry about theft also. So when I poured a new sidewalk & driveway I had a 4" drain pipe places from the garage 10' into some shrubbery where it ended under a fake rock. I then pulled 64 15' spt1 cords from where my 2 boxes are mounted in the garage. This keeps my controllers, director, FM Xmiter, & small stereo amp secure & dry. If I want to expand the system there is still plenty of room in the pipe. All of my lights with a few exceptions are LED.

Ditto to

Here is how I do mine

Picture%20166.jpg

Ditto, but I take 2x4's driven into the ground (posthole digger and back filled and packed) and attach (screw with 2 1/2" screws) along the sides of the frame system. I spent 1 hour getting the post back out of the ground- made me realize they really were secured!

Since this is the first year of concern for keeping the controllers off the ground and out of the elements as much as possible, I have mine mounted in a similar way as pictured above except where the controllers actually attach ive used plywood to allow for flexibility in being able to expand in the future and give more space for additional controllers to mount to. With moving my display this year I have no central location currently to mount the controllers in. The only difference I have done is painted the racks black so that they are not as noticable at night, then plan on possibly locking the controllers up and putting garbage bags over the top before deciding how I will enforce or re-enforce them to the ground has yet to be decided.

Ditto to

Ditto, but I take 2x4's driven into the ground (posthole digger and back filled and packed) and attach (screw with 2 1/2" screws) along the sides of the frame system. I spent 1 hour getting the post back out of the ground- made me realize they really were secured!

Can you list your dimensions/lengths on the boards. Going to use this design. Already made some rough measurements tonight, but would like to hear what yours ended up. Thanks.

Steve

I used somewhat same method as Paul D, except I used a T post and ran a u-bolt around it and through the unistrut, they have the nuts on springs for unistruts to run bolts through, bolted the controller to that, so only way to access any bolts to undo contoller is by cutting lock on cover to get inside, then need tools to loosen up, need a truck to pull T-post out of ground, so that's not going anywhere, by then my yard sensors have gon off and there better be a good reasomn for being in yard

I will have to take some pics to show you guys how I've solved the problem since I began this thread... Just as soon as I have some free time. But suffice it to say that many of mine are modeled around this type of design. Thank God for scrap 2x4's haha :D

Here is how I do mine

Picture%20166.jpg

I like to try finding ways to integrate the boxes into the display (such as hiding them under props).

LOR boxes are, well, boxes, so they make wonderfully lit Christmas presents.

If I can find pre-lit square presents to put over the box then its easy to lift the prop if I ever need to access the controller.

Craig, what are the other units in your container? I see two LOR units but also some smaller black units. What are those?

Edited by JHolmes

I'm looking to do what Richard Holdmand does with his controllers, put them right next to the elements. Now I'm pretty lucky, my display is 4 feet off the ground (up on a wall in front of the house). It makes it hard for people to get to the back of the display without climbing the stairs and tripping up in the wires. With the cost of extension cords going up 25% this year, I need a solution to my "power needs". So the question for everyone is, "How do you mount your units right in the display?" do you mount it to a steak? Hide it in a box? Pictures are great. Last year I moved them outside but the setup I used was way to hard to store them over the off season. So I need your help!

Thanks!

My display is pretty spread out over the yard.  I try to keep the Controllers as close as I can or at least centered, so cord lengths do not get out of hand.  My Mega-Tree controller is the only exception, it is inside the mega-tree.  The way I mount them is like so.  Controllers are mounted to a 3 foot piece of 2x4.  I have 3/4" rebar that I drive into the ground at the controller location.  The 2x4 is attached to the rebar using pipe clamps.  Simple and effective for my needs.

For stakes check out wowlights.com they have frames that are built for the controllers and have stake feet on one end to make it easy to put into the ground.

For security and to allow for access / work in a dry enclosure check out my altered storage shed for a secure / storable way to protect / secure the controllers.

http://www.crazytechchristmas.com/PhotoAlbumTwo2012.html

the first two pictures show you the shed, I am in the process of creating an article for the next planetchristmas edition showing more details on it.  If you have any questions let me know.

I work my display pretty much the same as many others.  I keep my controllers close to the display item it controls.  I have four (4) foot concrete form stakes that I beat into the ground and bolt the controllers to each one.  I then put thick black trashbags over the controller and zip the bottom around the cords. 

Guys my solution was simple but expensive. I screwed all of my controller boxes to the side of my house at the back of the garage. They are permanently attached and stay there the year around. I have brick walls so a thief would have to really work to get them off. It is expensive in extension cords though because it makes for long runs.

Well, here is what I've come up with over the past 2 years.  First 3 images are of a PVC mounted box.  The second is how I build the controllers with boxes on the back side and plugs housed in a box on front side.  They will replace my current Controller stands that are ~ 3' off the ground, the new ones being around 2' tall.

post-6676-0-16853900-1374591682_thumb.jp

post-6676-0-36546600-1374591694_thumb.jp

post-6676-0-27040500-1374591748_thumb.jp

post-6676-0-84433900-1374591773_thumb.jp

I took a plastic tool shed, modified it to support my enclosures.  then I lock the controllers and the shed, and there is a security camera that can see anyone who goes near it.

so, they could steal it, but not that easy to do.

You can see pictures of it on my site www.crazytechchristmas.com - look at 2012 pictures.

Thought I would share this, last Christmas I worked for a large Amusement park that does Christmas. Their large tree was operated by Light-O-Rama boxes and since I had prior experience with them I was elected to do most maintenance. The first picture is of the tree itself.

post-13820-0-47504800-1374601043_thumb.j

And a picture from inside the tree looking up. The two large structures on either side of the picture are the housings for the controllers.

post-13820-0-35572100-1374601077_thumb.j

A look inside the enclosures. Each enclosure houses 3 rows of 3 controllers each, so 9 controllers per enclosure and 18 total for the tree.

post-13820-0-45869400-1374601115_thumb.j

post-13820-0-88562100-1374601120_thumb.j

A look at the power distribution and ONE of the sub woofers

post-13820-0-25270100-1374601126_thumb.j

post-13820-0-66716000-1374601131_thumb.j

Thought some people here would get a kick out of these. :cool: