Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Lukeslights

90 Degree Mega Tree

My dad and I were talking today about possible last-minute expansions to our display for 2011. In the conversation, we liked the idea of a mega-tree. The problem is, we only have 16 channels to do it with. Now, I know a 16 channel mega tree can be done, but in my opinion, it wouldn't look full. So I can up with the idea to do a 180 degree mega tree, which I know has been done before. My dad brought idea this even further and asked if a 90 degree mega tree has ever been done. I know there would be some "blind spots" when viewing the tree, but I question I pose to you is, have you ever seen a 90 degree mega tree, and/or do you think this would be a good idea, compared to a 180 mega tree. Thanks in advance!

-Luke

Personally, I think a 16 channel tree looks great. I am not that keen on the 180s, so you can imagine my thoughts on a 90.

One thing to keep in mind is the height. A taller tree will have a bigger spacing at the bottom (assuming a 2:1 ratio height:diameter). If you are only using 16 segments, a 10' tree with a 5' base would have about a 1' spacing between strings. A 20' tree with a 10' base would have about a 2' spacing. The shorter tree will look fuller.

But that is just my opinion.

My advice is free, and worth every penny.

I'd still do the 360 tree the lights on the other side make the tree look full ......just hook up more strands to a channel if your short on channels......Many 16 channel trees look really good IMO

I agree with the above posters. In my personal opinion, I don't like the look of a 180 tree or less. Last year, I did 14 channels for my 20' mega-tree, and I thought it could have used some more strands, but I also thought it looked very good. As a side note, each channel was comprised of 4 strands.

I hate to tell you that I plan on only using 7 channels for my mega tree. Probably only 12' high. I don't have much room to go big. I planned on a few strings per channel. It's actually on the back burner (again) for this year.

I only use a 12 channel mega tree with single strands and then I create the "illusion" of color changing. I think it looks fine. With my star on top I'm close to 25 feet tall with my new I.T.S.U.P. Mega Pole. I use 6 strands of white LED's (last minute decision change and I like them) and 6 strands of red incans. 100 ct strings. I alternate color every other string and then I can shimmer all the white while rotating red and vice versa. Here is a really short video:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rieger-Christmas/101923163197638

Last year I doubled the light string per channel on the tree and I didn't really like how it looked in the chase patterns I sequenced. I guess it's all in attempt to conserve channels to use them fro something else. I'm moving channel counts up every year like most people.

Thanks everyone for your input. This really helped make my decision easier. I want to do a 360 tree, but because this is a really last minute decision, I think I'm going to end up doing a 180 tree this year, in 2 colors (white and multi?). But next year, hopefully I'll be able to expand upon this project and transform the tree into a 360 tree. Thanks again for everyone's input.

I use 16 channels per color on my 32 strand down 360 tree - they are wired in "pies" so 2 strands next to each other are one channel. You could easily go to 2 colors in 16 channels by doing pies on either side - having channel 1 control 2 lines (pie) on one side and 2 lines on the exact opposite side (pie). That way, on a 32 strand tree, you can have 16 channels and 2 colors.

Here's my $0.02 I have twin 360 mega trees 12' tall and 4' at the base. I use 8 channels and wire the trees so they mirror one another. The taller, thinner trees make the 8 strings of lights (folded in half) look full. Using the 8 channels for the trees leaves me 24 other channels to do other things with. According to my wife... Really stupid things.

(I know... Shut up rookie!)

Edited by Kontra06

my 20' mega tree has 144 sets of lights with 16 channels. last year , the biggest compliments came on my tree. i use 4 colors and with that many strands, it appears to be many more colors.

My 20' mega tree has 16 "pie" sections as well. I was thinking of using the same number of lights but dividing it into 8 sections next year. I find with 16 sections I can not spin the tree fast enough if that makes sense.

i run a 180 tree because of location (outside bend of an L shaped street. Side viewing is almost not possible) and channel availability (shoe-string budget). It is 2 color, with 7 channels (each channel is 6 strands of lights, spaced 3" at bottom) on each color. Add 1 for the star and my tree (15' tall) uses only 15 channels. We love it.

My 20' mega tree has 16 "pie" sections as well. I was thinking of using the same number of lights but dividing it into 8 sections next year. I find with 16 sections I can not spin the tree fast enough if that makes sense.

If I want to make a faster spin, I turn on two sections at a time. I still have the 16-pie capability (makes for cleaner swipes, if you ask me), but I can speed it up if I want to by just "faking" 8 sections by turning on two at a time.