Converting Half-wave To Full-wave For $0.50

BrightChristmas

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK. I have seen both of those on the sets that I have. Thank you for that information. Now, I am trying to figure out this wire twisting activity you are speaking about. I have read the directions and looked at the picture and it's not getting through my thick head.

Torqumada

sorry for not getting back sooner..haven't been on here in awhile.

The wire thing is kinda hard to explain with text only LOL....but basically if you look at the set, there is 3 wires running along. 2 are just plain wire, the 3rd has sockets attached.

Since the set is wired as 2 sections take the 2nd section, remove the 1st & last bulb in it. Then (with set unplugged ;) ) use a small nail to pop the wire loose & both those sockets (you want the one that connects into the set so you'll just have a metal tab & the sockets can then be untwisted/removed from the set...hopefully that makes some sense)...I'll try attaching a pic of the nail-thing (don't know if it'll work since pictures won't show here for me - even if I uploaded them )

One of these days I should try to do a video on this :) LOL

post-1434-0-91813300-1329364817.jpg

The wire thing is kinda hard to explain with text only LOL....but basically if you look at the set, there is 3 wires running along. 2 are just plain wire, the 3rd has sockets attached.

Since the set is wired as 2 sections take the 2nd section, remove the 1st & last bulb in it. Then (with set unplugged ;) ) use a small nail to pop the wire loose & both those sockets (you want the one that connects into the set so you'll just have a metal tab & the sockets can then be untwisted/removed from the set...hopefully that makes some sense)...I'll try attaching a pic of the nail-thing (don't know if it'll work since pictures won't show here for me - even if I uploaded them )

Problem I have seen is most of my LED Strings have 2 wires going into the first and last bulb, and the three wires coming out of the first and last bulb that cross from end to the other.

This was the part confusing me initially, as to where I needed to place the resistors along with the rectifier diodes.

I just bought 190 strings of warm white (candlelight actually, almost orangish) 35 ct. c6 strings. sealed, not full wave, for 1.82 a string.

I plan on making 70 ct. full wave strings by cutting off the end plugs and adding rectifiers and resistors. They wil be used for a 16 channel 25ft. Mega with 80 strings.

Why am I sharing all this useless information? LOL

Because thanks to this thread, I almost know what I am doing now.. :cool:

This is a great thread I have been working with Incan for many years but the LED landscape is new (burnt quit a few strings in repair :wub: )

SteveMaris I get the rectification process and the need for a resister to limit voltage but the question I have is what or how did you come up with the

right resister and rectification for your certain string?

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz Looked here and thats when the brain cells just shut down :blush:

This is a great thread I have been working with Incan for many years but the LED landscape is new (burnt quit a few strings in repair :wub: )

SteveMaris I get the rectification process and the need for a resister to limit voltage but the question I have is what or how did you come up with the

right resister and rectification for your certain string?

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz Looked here and thats when the brain cells just shut down :blush:

This is what I used. It is a great how to...

LED Modifications (1).pdf

So you're not reattaching anything, just removing a wire?

Torqumada

So you're not reattaching anything, just removing a wire?

Torqumada

After you disconnect & un-twist the sockets from the set, flip them around so the 1st socket is now the last...

Then its just a matter of reversing the process - re-twist the sockets along the set & reconnect the wires.

Hopefully makes some sense...Like I say its a bit hard to explain...eventually I plan to go ahead & do a video :) (but at this point I don't have time - plus my hard-drive is full so can't)

After you disconnect & un-twist the sockets from the set, flip them around so the 1st socket is now the last...

Then its just a matter of reversing the process - re-twist the sockets along the set & reconnect the wires.

Hopefully makes some sense...Like I say its a bit hard to explain...eventually I plan to go ahead & do a video :) (but at this point I don't have time - plus my hard-drive is full so can't)

Nope, not really making sense to me. Maybe a diagram with step by step instructions?

Torqumada

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I know I had planned to do a couple vid's...I can't remember if I ever finished with the vid-project or not.

I did do one on the part about getting both halves of a set in series (its out there on YouTube)...wouldn't be surprised if others have done the same as well

Its the part about about doing a bridge/rectifier that I can't remember if I finished a vid (although thats the easy part, in my case all I did was put a diode-bridge in one of those little blue plastic outlet boxes & then connect a cord & outlet)

Archived