Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
chicoss

Where R U Located

hi guys im in danbury ct will everyone please post where they are? i would like to see your displays. shoot me a pm and ill give u my exact address. ive been doing lor for 3 years now im still a newbie though. want to get some ideas from u guys. i do my display for charity its called "Anns Place" The home of i can!!!!! they help people with cancer and their families raised over $2000.00 the last 2 years

I'm in Orange, CT. This is my first year with LOR. I have 32 channels with around 15000 lights.. Three inflatables and almost...100 blowmolds, I should be up and running by thanksgiving through my birthday on the third of january...

I hope to make a trip around CT to see some shows, good luck this year..

-chris

I am in Stratford. Lights were turned on Saturday November 26th.

They are on from 5-10 Sunday - Thursday; and 5-11 Friday and Saturday.

Send me a message for my address.

128 channels; 6 songs - 107.3 FM.

305 Edgewood Ave, Waterbury, CT

This is my first year using Light-o Rama hardware and Lightshowpro software. I have 48 channels controlling 3400 lights or so. I only was able to get four songs done for this year but plans are working for more next year.

I would love you check out other shows as well.

If you do come to waterbury, there is a guy down the road from me that does this too. Here is his website for more info. http://www.thexmaslightshow.com/

Hey guys. My first year with Lor's. I'm in bristol ct. I can't wait to see the lights on the house instead if the visualizer! Sequenced about 8 songs to 32 channels so far in the last few months. Have 50+ strobes, 2 inflatables, 22' mega tree, and a light flurries. Rob

I'm building my mini trees right now, a few different prototypes so far. We've increased our light count to over 25000 and i now have 96 channels. So i'm also reprogramming all of my old songs and hopefully adding some more new ones.

Hope I can get it all done in time, wish me luck. See you out there..

-chris

Hey Chris where u located? Im out of Bristol. First year for me with 64 channels. Would live to check out yours when you go live.

I plan on finishing up my finale song then making up my intro, outro voice overs. Then start setting up the weekend after holloween. That will give me a month to get all the bugs worked out for my first season. Starting to get nervous and excitied!

Miami Florida where Santa needs to wear his white wife beater and shorts because with his red coat he'd die of heat, and that would a sad day for all kids young and old.

I am in Ellington, CT. 3rd year doing animated lights. 160 channels, all LED lights. Shows will be up and running the Sat after Thanksgiving. Last year had thousands of visitors and raised $2500 for St. Judes. 1/2 hour shows that start on the hour 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. Thurs thru Sun. 30 diff songs approx 8-9 songs per show. There is a large field across from the house so cars can pull off the road and watch entire shows. Late in the season we get 50-60 cars per show. I would love to visit others here in CT and W. Mass. Setting up house stuff this weekend but I usually wait until after Halloween for the yard stuff. Starting earlier this year as last years snowstorm made getting up and running by Thanksgiving a nightmare.

Ok ct'er hows your displays coming. Where are you located I'd love to stop by and see them. I'm at 111 Rosewood Drive Bristol. First year so I'm sure I'm not up to most of yours level. But I do have 64 channels, 22' mega tree, 40 strobes, and 3 arches all in white Incans. We're running the 24th until new years. Thurs-sunday 6-9. Please bring a canned good. Rob

I'm a bit off of the beaten track...Afghanistan. I'll send a video, I don't expect any visitors ;)

AFMedic, On this day I would like to express my thanks for your sacrifice, service, and dedication to our country, Stay Safe.

Jesse

MSGT, USA, Retired

I will be taking this year off . Just got over a battle with cancer the beginning of the summer so i am just taking it easy for now getting my strength back.good news is i beat it.bought a 64 channel l.o.r last year when i got sick and still haven't got to try it but i will work on my songs and building this year . Looking forward to seeing everyone's displays.

we are up and running at 360 lincoln rd in orange, ct. 80 LOR channels (was 96, but controller is at LOR HQ) with 27000 lights. we run 5-10 Sun- Thur. and 5-11 Fri-Sat.

ironman, we drove by the other day, i hadn't read this board post for a while. hope you are doing well and hope you can make it out to see the display.

-chris