Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
chuckiii

Ideas For Running Lights On The Ground Across A Street?

There's liability to everything. If you buy a German Shepard your home owner's insurance goes up. If you help someone who's been hurt they can sue you for administering cpr wrong. What if the mailman cuts through your yard and trips on an extension cord going to your lights? No more light shows either? If they give you permission in your gated community to do this - go for it.

this is actually not true, only if your dog has bit someone before...

Well actually - it is. Our insurance agent told us not to say our dog was a "German Shepard Mix" or our home owners insurance would go up when we purchased our first house in Erie. That's not even the point of me writing that.

I like people who do things that other people don't have the guts to because they are "worried" about it. If he gets permission - I think he should do it! Why? Cuz no one else has! That's what makes it cool.

Off the subject, but how did you get the lights in the tree tops in your picture? String them up and down individual branches or did you use some type of net lighting?

I just ran them around the trees with 100 ct string lights. The key is to not pull the strings tight, you want to leave slack and place them up and down as you work your way around the tree so the lights don't just look like a line. Some times I also just throw the lights up and over the trees. I'm not stingy with the lights so it may take more lights the way I do it.

Well actually - it is. Our insurance agent told us not to say our dog was a "German Shepard Mix" or our home owners insurance would go up when we purchased our first house in Erie. That's not even the point of me writing that.

I like people who do things that other people don't have the guts to because they are "worried" about it. If he gets permission - I think he should do it! Why? Cuz no one else has! That's what makes it cool.

Exactly!!!

There's liability to everything. If you buy a German Shepard your home owner's insurance goes up. If you help someone who's been hurt they can sue you for administering cpr wrong. What if the mailman cuts through your yard and trips on an extension cord going to your lights? No more light shows either? If they give you permission in your gated community to do this - go for it.

Brian you're right about that. But in all your cases my home owners insurance would cover it. If something happens outside my property line because of my actions then, you're kind of on your own unless the HOA approves it then they become liable.

Have you thought about a Texture projector DJ light, ADJ H20 or the Chauvet Abyss?

Couple of these one on each side of the street should solve your problem.

http://youtu.be/X82gW8L5E4k

I have an ADJ TRI LED I use in my display for the ground and roof, I get 60 ft of range off the LED's mounted on a 15 foot pole.

Andy

Very cool suggestion for the Abyss, and a very safe suggestion. I'd be tempted to go the Abyss route or the "bridge look" by putting up rails on each side of the street, perhaps with a sign or something related to the bridge crossing. I'd be worried about any number of things happening with a temporary item in the road. Cars starting and stopping, turning the steering wheels, and driving too fast are things outside of your control. With relatively little movement from the protective item, you can quickly wear the insulation off of the lights - if metal is used as the bridge crossing, you've got the potential for some really bad outcomes.

I am a huge supporter of pushing the envelope with display effects, etc., however, there are times when the decisions of others should be considered. Perhaps others chose not to forge ahead because it was too risky. not because they've never throught of it. I'd personally err on the side of pushing the envelope in a more controlled setting, like your yard. Certainly you can't keep a child from running across your display and getting hurt, however, reasonable efforts are made from a safety standpoint to minimize if not eliminate the danger posed from the freak occurence. you KNOW cars will drive across the street (and across the protective device), and unless you're using materials specifically engineered for such abuse, you're not taking the same precautions you are in your own yard. I think it's a really risky endeavor you're taking on. Not just from a monetary standpoint, but seriously - how awful would it be to have something like that happen. Read the posts about fender benders happening in the street outside of some of these displays. The owners of the displays feel bad when that happens, and they are pretty far removed from monetary liability in those scenarios. (I had an accident outside my house a couple of nights ago - no injuries - driver just wasn't paying attention and backed into a limo. I hate it happened, but I know I've not altered the road, traffic signals, lighting, etc. in place in the neighborhood.)

Eh - my advice is worth what you paid for it! :) Merry Christmas whichever choice you make!

Try using a high powered video projector to project the river effect onto the street. You can then make it look like whatever you want. Flowwing water, fish swimming in it. You could even have a deer walk u pand take a drink. Here's a link of an incredible projector mapping display on a building.

http://vimeo.com/18825264

LOL - I said IF he had permission! You guys eat a negative Christmas cookie or something - geez.

LMAO *hahaha* you had be busting out laughing at that! I was thinking, "the mail man had better not trip... I made him a HUGE sign! And He won't want to cut thru the display.... he can see the hazard lol.