Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
theslamdunkking

Anyone Else Have This Problem?

So we all put up displays for people to enjoy, right? Does anyone else get uneasy when they see a car pull up and sit in front of their house for a while? I know what you're thinking, "Isn't that the point of doing it?" I can't help but think "Maybe they are dropping someone off to run into the yard and grab something" or "Are they checking things out to come back after dark to take something or vandlaize something".

I have been fortunate not to have had any problems so far. Tonight, our first night of being semi-lit, I was letting our dogs out and a truck was sitting there, then drove by, turned around and the driver rolled down his window. It was a group of kids asking a few questions about how long it takes to set up, electric bills, etc. As much as you hope that they can appreciate the time and effort that one puts into this for others' enjoyment, you can't help but wonder. I know that it doesn't do any good to worry about these things, but I still get all paranoid about it and let it get the best of me. If i hear a car outside I usually go to the window to see what's going on.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else got that uneasy about it. A lot of us have a lot of money sitting outside this month and none of us want to see anything happen to our investment, both time and money.

Yeah - me too. I had some neighborhood kids "ding-dong ditch" us after midnight a couple months ago. It was the third incident in about 2 weeks. I was up and ran out the door and saw where he went. I started yelling like a crazy person and I called the State Cops and they came out and it was settled.

I guess the point is - no one what's to messed with or have there stuff messed with. People that decorate as a hobby with animation and large displays put a lot of thought and effort into what the do and it's unsettling that some little punk holes would want to destroy a display.

This is the first year I'm putting out a donation box (for The City Mission) and I have some concerns. I overbuilt the heck out of it (sheet metal over a steel angle frame for the box, schedule 40 steel pipe bolted into a larger steel pipe that is cemented into the ground) but if someone wants it - they're going to have to do a lot of work to either get it open or rip it out of the ground.

I also installed a security sign with an active number and fake security cameras. Just trying to keep them honest I guess.

I feel this way at time's....I live in a town pop. 300...everyone knows everyone. My biggest fear is someone outside of our town!

I most worry about the U_Build santa and deer! and my poloron stuff ! They set about 10 foot from the street.

I know how exactly how how you feel. I have dogs so anytime a car stops they bark, if that car is there a little longer then should be or I start seeing flashes I step outside. After hours is when I worry, but again I have dogs and a motion light that lights up the road in front of the house and the whole front yard. However you are not the only one who worries.

Richard I too have a dog inside that barks when a leaf falls lol The only problems I have with molds in the big ole smile I get when I drive up the road and see all my molds in my yard lol But always follow rule #1!! Keep your big dollar molds inside !! : )

Jim

I have been lucky (knock on wood) and have not lost anything (except my mind) yet.

I do put up a net light fence,

Plus we get snow here which makes it hard to run.

Plus we live on a well travel road, used by the police.

And have been lucky.

You could use fishing line and tie up everything...

Richard I too have a dog inside that barks when a leaf falls lol The only problems I have with molds in the big ole smile I get when I drive up the road and see all my molds in my yard lol But always follow rule #1!! Keep your big dollar molds inside !! : )

Jim

LOL! Jim, I am very very limited on space inside. I have inside decor that didn't go out this year becuase I ran out of room. I worry about alI my decorations, specially my Cartoon molds( Mickey, Minnie, etc..) I usually put the big dollar ones closer to the house and everything is far enough back from the fence that way if somebody WANTS something, they have to come inside the yard.

LOL! Jim, I am very very limited on space inside. I have inside decor that didn't go out this year becuase I ran out of room. I worry about alI my decorations, specially my Cartoon molds( Mickey, Minnie, etc..) I usually put the big dollar ones closer to the house and everything is far enough back from the fence that way if somebody WANTS something, they have to come inside the yard.

This is also the strategy I use: I keep my valuable molds closer to the house and put more common, less valuable ones near the road. This is especially useful if I have two of something, such as the Dancing Santa, as I have one further back in my yard next to a sleigh and one next to my mailbox on the side of the road.

It's not the cars that bother me living between three schools. I have them stop all the time. Even had to wait to get into my driveway. If I'm outside they usually roll down a window and talk for a bit. Don't mind them at all. It's the few kids that bother me. 99% are good. It's that last one% that causes trouble. I've had some minor vandalism. I was a kid once. I did stupid things too. So I've come to expect a bit of it each year. That way when it does happen it's not that big of a shock.

This is also the strategy I use: I keep my valuable molds closer to the house and put more common, less valuable ones near the road. This is especially useful if I have two of something, such as the Dancing Santa, as I have one further back in my yard next to a sleigh and one next to my mailbox on the side of the road.

That's how I have it set up too, and on the side of the house where I have limited room, they are still far enough back from the fence that way somebody can't reach in and grab them. And they would have to somewhat work a bit to get to them.

It's not the cars that bother me living between three schools. I have them stop all the time. Even had to wait to get into my driveway. If I'm outside they usually roll down a window and talk for a bit. Don't mind them at all. It's the few kids that bother me. 99% are good. It's that last one% that causes trouble. I've had some minor vandalism. I was a kid once. I did stupid things too. So I've come to expect a bit of it each year. That way when it does happen it's not that big of a shock.

I understand your worry as well. That is always my worry is the teenagers who walk in wee hours of the night.

Guest A.F.NUT

I worry too, every sound I hear I am looking out the window. Trucks always make me paranoid, they could load a lot up. But it is out there for people to look at and enjoy so I guess I can't complain. What I find odd is how some people see you out there and are taking pictures and act as if they don't see you. I always try to sat hi or wave and some just ignore you, I swear they forget it's a home and not just a tourist attraction. LOL

That's a contant worry for me - both at Halloween and Christmas as I'm the only one in my area that has molds and inflatables. I'm the house that everyone has to come to on Halloween and I'm working up to that for Christmas. I paid good money for all my molds and when I put them out I just pray that no-one wants it more than me - LOL. Whenever I hear voices in the front yard, I have to check it out. Usually it's just the kids stopping by to see the decorations, but I still have to check it out - LOL. I don't have a fence, so it would be easy pickins to get something from my yard. So far, the only thing that's come up missing is a skull at Halloween - had to be a kid who took that one so I have been extremely lucky.

Just like Jim, I get a smile on my face each and every time I see my decorated yard. I guess it's the kid in me coming to the surface so I'll keep doing year after year.