Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Lights on Light Street Ct

One Newbie Lookign For Advice Critics Ideas And Such

OK here is my Christmas Display as of THanks Giving Day when i finished my First PVC made Arch/Fan/ Cross with 18x 100 string lights any suggestions on improvments Yes my House is Very small the foot print of the arch is oinly 6 foot and the top of the cross is also 6 foot - i kinow my light display is primitive i comparison and it does not have LOR yet. But i would like others opinions should i build a second to match the one keep in mind on the left where you see the Walled A/C unit i am making a 4 foot by 4 foot talking Frosty to cover that. I need mroe ideas please give in-put TY thee NEWBIE

post-14987-0-10399200-1322190075.jpg

Man i keep watching the videos of all these other places and definitly realizing my House is like TINY not just tiny i think theres a 50 kilowatt tree bigger than my house i might have to add my parkng space area to the lighted area shss i think the pumkin arch is wider than the whole front of my house, ok all you smart people give me ideas i want to be seen granted i really want to save up faster for LOR controllers

Hey Gary, I know you are excited about all the displays but remember most of us started small just like you. I know you want to go animated but start small, or even get the program for the controller that you want to use to practice programming. Programming is the heart of the show. As you have said you have watched a lot of the videos and you can tell the difference in the quality of the programming (smooth fades, and transitions) but programming takes a lot of time (a LOT of time), usually about 10 hrs or more for each min. of song. The last song that I did was Christmas Canon by Trans Siberian Orchestra and I have about 64 hrs in the programming of this 4min song.

The next thing is hit the after Christmas sales to get lights for next year. This is when you get the best deals on lights. You might be thinking why go out and buy 32 or more boxes of lights after the holiday? Well if you get a 16 channel controller and connect 2 strings per channel you just used all 32 boxes, also they are great to have around for new display items you build later on, and if one of your display Items develop a short, or half the bulbs on a string go out (Murphy's Law) you can do a quick string replacement.

Most of all have fun! There are some great people on here that can help you out of most of the problems that you run into.

Size of the house doesn't matter. The quality of your show is more important.

You will get lots of ideas from other's videos and photos.

Lining your windows with lights, and the outline of your house would look good. You can put different color strands on and have the house change colors from red, to blue to green to gold to white with your lor controllers. A Santa and reindeer on the roof or the ledge. Having Larger trees on the ground rather than on the ledge would look good. Each tree on a different LOR channel so you can make them chase across and change colors would be very good looking.

Add a Virtual Santa to the 2nd floor window, put the audio outside via some speakers (cheap old computer speakers work fine wrapped in a plastic trash bag).

If there is room behind the first floor windows, you could create a storefront window display that would look magnificiant. Your windows are close enough to the street and sidewalk that it can be seen easily. You have a ideal layout for that. You could have animated figurines in any number of scenes you'd like to create.

Good luck!

Joe

Size of the house doesn't matter. The quality of your show is more important.

You will get lots of ideas from other's videos and photos.

Lining your windows with lights, and the outline of your house would look good. You can put different color strands on and have the house change colors from red, to blue to green to gold to white with your lor controllers. A Santa and reindeer on the roof or the ledge. Having Larger trees on the ground rather than on the ledge would look good. Each tree on a different LOR channel so you can make them chase across and change colors would be very good looking.

Due to where i live, down a dead end Court what i put on the ground level is kinda restricted the road is litteratly right there and unless i can come up with a way to screw it down and lock it up, currently i have no LOR or the program but i am trying to keep LOR in mind as i add things the diferent color strands is a great idea, Each tree on the ledge is 4 1/2 feet granted not big but will be setup as if each was a seperate channel , I love the idea of a Santa / Reindeer on the roof, I plan on lining my main bedroom's window and the 5 windows below, and placeing a Talking Frosty the snowman's face which i am building in front of the A/c unit, I was thinking of putting some kind of Carolers on the bottom and i am also making 4 - 5 foot Stars out of pvc for over by the latis near my front door over on the right and the gate on the left. and one centered somewhere

Add a Virtual Santa to the 2nd floor window, put the audio outside via some speakers (cheap old computer speakers work fine wrapped in a plastic trash bag).

If there is room behind the first floor windows, you could create a storefront window display that would look magnificiant. Your windows are close enough to the street and sidewalk that it can be seen easily. You have a ideal layout for that. You could have animated figurines in any number of scenes you'd like to create.

Good luck!

Joe

I did put a nativity scene after the picture in the windows the center 3 have them i am also repairing a 30 year old wooden lighted cross my great grand father made and replaceing the lights and wirering , here are Two 3 way speakers mingled in with the tree level connected to my PC and a store front idea sounds great that is my front hall the entire elnght to get to my original front door i used it as a small walk in halloween dungeon, before i added a much larger window ledge.. There is no sidewalk on my court the street is a two way where one vehicle can fit past a parked car the end of the planter BOx infront of my house is the city roadway and the larger trees just Do not fit i wish they did i had 7X 6 1/5 foot trees i orginally bought for the front. and i got 5 Rose bush's planted this year in a few years they will become my trees as i tie them and wrapp them into rose bushes, there will be an animated talking Frosty on the left side of the bigg window thats my only way out on the ledge my ladder doesnt make it

I got into all the animated displays by the GE Lights and Sounds of Christmas (which I have for sale on ebay).. Yes it was meant to be indoors and had a built in speaker, but since I kept it on the porch out of the weather it worked fine, I added a mp3 jack to it to use a modified mp3 fm transmitter. Since everything was fully programmed I just plugged lights into the 6 outlets and went! It powered what I needed for the time being, and this year I upgraded to LOR and found out just how much time it takes! Just take your time, don't make your lights look thrown together, and please no X's on the windows, I'm in the south so we get that alot... or the occasional half blinking multi color strand connecting a bush to the roof as a extension cord lol...

I got into all the animated displays by the GE Lights and Sounds of Christmas (which I have for sale on ebay).. Yes it was meant to be indoors and had a built in speaker, but since I kept it on the porch out of the weather it worked fine, I added a mp3 jack to it to use a modified mp3 fm transmitter. Since everything was fully programmed I just plugged lights into the 6 outlets and went! It powered what I needed for the time being, and this year I upgraded to LOR and found out just how much time it takes! Just take your time, don't make your lights look thrown together, and please no X's on the windows, I'm in the south so we get that alot... or the occasional half blinking multi color strand connecting a bush to the roof as a extension cord lol...

So what you selling the GE ie Mr. Christmas 6 channel for? just curious and i cannot stand X's on the windows i try and make neat lines well except t6he garland style i purposely put

Today i added two nets to the ground level moved the Flood lights (They where turning my Solar lights off so moved and now they are fine) added a White and blue 5 1/2 foot metal tree and a white sparkling ball also got Two Snowmen wire framed only thing is they need work and some attention before i can put them out. Tommorow i will be putting out the added plug in lights for the ridges to ad more light im leaving the solor's but adding mini's after that ill call it for a bit while i get back to work on my frosty and 5 stars and a few other things

Also in the Picture i made the arch/wave/cross - My question is Should i make it a Twin?