Lights Near Powerline

I have a question on my house on the side the entrance cable for my power crosses over close to the eves would like to put lights on the eve but being that close to the main power seems like a bad idea. Also before someone states the obvious I can not get on the roof its 10 12 and metal (very slippery). Has anyone herd of the power company covering the line in fiberglass rods I have seen it done when siding is being put on a house were they are near power lines?

I had icicle lights hang across our service line for years. They are insulated lines, just don't hit it with your aluminum ladder, or let your lights or you get too close to the connections from the drop to the line down to your meter. Those connections are usually not well insulated. Ours just had electrical tape on them. lol.

When we painted the house last year the EC did provide us for free with a supper-thick and heavy rubber insulator to put over the line, just in case we hit it with a scraper or torch. It was bright orange and very ugly tho.

I doubt that the power co would want to cover the service wires going to the meter for a display as they are already insulated. As stated above there are fiberglass coverups available that most power cos.install on bare primary conductors that are bulky and ugly.These are generally used on a temporary basis to avoid incidental contact.

Gosh, if it were me, I wouldn't trust the insulation on the wires. Some counties have very lax code. I have done more than one trial where someone touched the line and got severely electrocuted (one died, one wished he had because of the permanent injuries). I'd call the electric company and see what they are willing to do. They'd rather not get sued in an accident and I think they might be willing to put something up to protect.

The tube is called line hose. Its usually a ugly orange thing designed to withstand thousands of volts.

Depending on how old the wires are the insulation might be pretty shot on them. If there are 3 separate wires on separate insulators chances are it is very old and definitely no insulation left.

Like someone else said watch the connector are were the wires are joined. There is usually only a dinky plastic cover that will turn to dust if touched.

If your not afraid you can recover these your self but be careful they are live.

Also you could make something to slip over the wire your self if you want to protect them. Some heavy rubber hose slit open would do the job.