Was The Whispering Santa Remade?

JLP22

Ok now, I am getting a little confused here, possibly that might have a bit to do with my living in my own little world??? Just which Poloron Santa are you refering to as the Poloron Whispering Santa? I know which one I refer to but it is beginning to look like some are thinking of another one....

Can you post a picture of it to see if we are thinking of the same Santa?

Mel

AHHH and with looking at some old storage pictures I found them side by side. not a great picture but you can see they are VERY different!!

009.jpg

That "Poloron" looks to be made by Holiday Innovations because of the transparent plastic. They remade it after Poloron did. Poloron's plastic was a lot thicker and more solid white.

Ok now, I am getting a little confused here, possibly that might have a bit to do with my living in my own little world??? Just which Poloron Santa are you refering to as the Poloron Whispering Santa? I know which one I refer to but it is beginning to look like some are thinking of another one....

Can you post a picture of it to see if we are thinking of the same Santa?

Mel

The shorter one in the pic, LOL sorry forgot there are 2 versions

The one is in this picture, and I was making sure it was remade as all of the poloron ones I see are very faded!

I'm wondering if I should purchase him :)

I have the Santa in the photo....purchased at HQ - Home Quarters Warehouse (a Home Depot knockoff now out of business) around 1994 or 1995. They had a slew of Empire products that year including this Santa, so I grabbed it knowing Poloron had made it. But a couple of odd things about it. First, (just as seen in the above photo) the holly and berries from his hat are not present. Why? Second, while the Empire reproduced Poloron items still had some markings on them (for example the 48" Snowman still had "Poloron" on it around the hole for the light fixture as well as the UL symbol near the base) there is nothing at all present except "Made In USA" in raised lettering on the bottom - does anyone have an actual Poloron version to see if this is present on the bottom and what other markings are on it? I don't think Empire or Poloron put this on their molds. Anyone know if Sun Hill did? Third, mine has never been displayed and is in great shape but I remember at the time many of them had flaking paint on them so I had to inspect all before I bought one....Empire stuff was never like that. So my question is....did someone else make this mold (perhaps TPI or Sun Hill as a knockoff) and somehow Empire ended up with the unfinished molds which their paint did not stick to as well? I know Empire sold it as the UPC sticker on it has an item # of P/N 28-1579, similar #'s are on other Empire products I have. But as a topper......it was not in the Empire catalogs from that time frame. An interesting mystery. Mel, do you know anything about this issue? I know the TPI remakes didn't include decorations such as the Holly/Berries on the Drummer Boy.

Steve, maybe I can clear a bit of the muddy water for you, until reading your post, I had completely forgotten about one in our collection that we got several years ago. TPI did indeed make one of those Santa's but I do think that he is shorter then the Poloron/HI ones. He appears to fit your description to a "T", including no holly or berries on his hat. I will have to go out to the trailer tomorrow and check to see if he has the "Made in USA" on the bottom, I do not remember at this time and he has not been out of his box for a few years. He was made for TPI by MAC Plastics, and that is confirmed by the TPI address on the original box, it is the address for MAC Plastics in Washington, PA. At the time MAC also made a 41" "Santa with Teddy" that we have in our collection and it has a "MAC" sticker on the back. TPI called the Santa a "Giant Santa with Gift" and it was their catalog #4838, it is 44" tall. Does yours look like the picture and is it 44" tall?

The Poloron "knockoff" Santa was made in 1992 &1993, that sounds close enough to your guess as to when you got your Santa. Those are also the years for the TPI "knockoff" of the Poloron 48" "Giant Illuminated Snowman" with the Merry Christmas shovel. TPI called theirs a "Giant Snowman" and it is 40" tall.

Mel

TPIGiantSantawGiftFront4838800Text.jpgTPIGiantSantawGiftBox4838800.jpg

The one is in this picture, and I was making sure it was remade as all of the poloron ones I see are very faded!

I'm wondering if I should purchase him :)

I am guessing the santa in your picture is the TPI one, is it 44" tall? If it is TPI, I would grab it up in a minute along with the two TPI choir kids, for that matter, I wouldn't leave the to "Carrot Nose Snowman" behind either. We have all of those in our collection but I would not hesitate to add the duplicates if the price was a fair one.

Mel

I obtained the Grand Venture version of this Santa in 2005 from Christmas Night, INc.. It is by far my favorite santa.

My neighbor had the poloron version in their yard in the late 70's....I credit this mold (or blame it) for getting me started in this expensive hobby...lol

Gene, can you measure your Grand Venture Santa and tell us how tall he is? I am thinking that he was made from the TPI mold and your measurement could help to confirm or refute that thought.

Mel

The catalog says that he is 48", but is he in fact the 48", I do know of some of the Poloron blow molds that the measurements in the catalog are not the same as what the actual blow mold is. That is why I asked if you could measure him so that we can confirm if he is 48" or possibly shorter or taller.

Mel