Salvage Failing Sealed Led's

Sea_Gypsy

I'm having a very high failure rate on my LED strings (2nd year) where 1/2 of the string is out at the resistor pack. This is happening mostly on 50 and 70 count string lights. These lights are from PC vendors with sealed bulbs. Is there anyway to salvage a string of lights by cutting something out, bypassing something or taking two working 1/2 strings and combining. These strings are on wire frames and have not been fade cycled at all. What would be causing the failures?

So far, LED has not lived up to its marketed potential{and high costs as compared to incandescents}, way too many early failures from both sealed designs, and replaceable "bulb" types. The chance of actually being able to use a set for the as marketed 25000-50,000+ hour lifetime seem to be slim to none with rust,galvanic corrosion,resisitor pack and other way too common issues considering the extremely high cost per string.Despite their high sales price, they seem to be very cheaply made,with inferior parts that are failing in the field rather quickly-even the "brand name" sets.

• 2 weeks later...

yes you can cut a bad led out and either have a set that has been bad and sacrifice it to splice in another led

also

you can troubleshoot to find a bad led by

' taking a about 3 feet of a wire and pushing a tack through each end and going every 5 leds and probing into the wire , of the led set

this bypasses the bad led and will find the place that is bad usually, I have had about a 98% success rate in repairing my sets that went half dim or totally dim!!

I too try and salvage as much as I can although I really have not had that many failures on my LED strings.

I know that there are a few people out there who are working on developing some troubleshooting and repair methods for LEDS though and we will probably see some information and articles from them in the coming months.

I am interested in learning more about the resistor packs and rectifiers that are being used in the strings and how we can bypass/replace them in strings safely. That would certainly help salavge strings where half the sting goes out easily.

As far as when one bulb goes out, I keep a bad string of eack color around that I can cut out an LED and splice it into the place of a burned out one.

As more is learned about LEDs and how we can repair and work on them, I'm sure that there will be more articles and info forthcoming in the near future on this subject.

Bill

I've got 1/2 string of net lights that are out. I'd like to fix them, and I might try the bypass wire method and if it works, I'll have to figure out how to replace the bad part. I do not have any spare LED's (sealed bulbs) or strings. I'm probably going to try and just replace the whole string, as matching the bulb would be difficult. Maybe I could just permanantly by-pass the bad bulb.

These are lights I bought from Travis when he had the very bad service year, and there is no way I'm going to try and call him, or Reindeers to try and get them replaced... I'm just not going to put myself through that process with them. I'd rather just junk the strings I got from him and buy new ones from Paul or Jacob.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got 1/2 string of net lights that are out. I'd like to fix them, and I might try the bypass wire method and if it works, I'll have to figure out how to replace the bad part. I do not have any spare LED's (sealed bulbs) or strings. I'm probably going to try and just replace the whole string, as matching the bulb would be difficult. Maybe I could just permanantly by-pass the bad bulb.

These are lights I bought from Travis when he had the very bad service year, and there is no way I'm going to try and call him, or Reindeers to try and get them replaced... I'm just not going to put myself through that process with them. I'd rather just junk the strings I got from him and buy new ones from Paul or Jacob.

I checked with Paul about his net lights-the bulbs are not sealed in their sockets as in the rest of the lights he sells. I am also looking for some net lights that have sealed bulbs.

Jimmy

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see an LED troubleshooting thread or article. Here are my thoughts on troubleshooting. Feel free to shoot down any innacuracies or add your tips. First a question, are the sealed LED's from CDI and MITS the "always on" type? If so, then when half the string goes out can't we assume the issue is with the rectifier pack or a broken wire. If they aren't "always on", then using Daniels method (great tip BTW) could we "splice" the jumper wire (resistor also required) just after the first LED in the section and after the last LED to see if the first LED lights. If it doesn't light then do the same thing by connecting the jumper before the first and before the last LED to see if the last one lights. If neither lights then again it must be the rectifier pack or a broken wire since the odds of both burning out are quite slim. If both light then its time to use Daniel's method to narrow it down to the guilty LED.