Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
t.jo13

Adding Signs To Display

I am not sure if i want to put up signs warning them that there are cameras up . I am thinking it would ruin the look of the display, but I also dont want people ruining it either. If they don't know about the cameras they could be caught , if they decide to ruin the christmas spirit.As with vegas Lee I have the same cams, Plus 2 wireless ones. I would then take the person on the tape and make a few flyers and post them around the neighborhood area and post it on the news. Many people do not have a clue how much we invest in our displays ( time and money] for all to enjoy. What would you do?

We collect charitable donations, so in the announcement, I mention that the collection box AND the display are video monitored, so their donations are safe. I am hoping that anyone who might think of damaging the display would hear it and be discouraged from doing anything. However, you never know.

Sometimes charities will provide a collection box for you. Many of them have already thought about how to protect against theft. Plus, using an "official" collection box for a given charity provides familiarity to your visitors, and that leads to greater contributions.

How do you inform people about the donations being accepted.Iit sounds like mwhite is set up for voiceovers I am not yet. Would you go for food or toys?

I am not sure if i want to put up signs warning them that there are cameras up . I am thinking it would ruin the look of the display, but I also dont want people ruining it either. If they don't know about the cameras they could be caught , if they decide to ruin the christmas spirit.As with vegas Lee I have the same cams, Plus 2 wireless ones. I would then take the person on the tape and make a few flyers and post them around the neighborhood area and post it on the news. Many people do not have a clue how much we invest in our displays ( time and money] for all to enjoy. What would you do?

Rather than repairing your display and prosecuting the vandals, it would be much better to avoid the damage in the first place. The signs will provide a layer of deterrent to the criminals. The signs don't have to ruin the display. They can be placed low and towards the sides of the display so that they can be seen but are not in the middle of the action.

I agree with Entropy; use the signs to avoid problems. I light up the security signs and camera after the show is done running for the night via a simple timer. Nobody is messing with the display during the show, too much traffic & too big of a risk of getting caught. It's in the early morning hours when the display is vulnerable. Light up the security camera & signs so they see it and keep the idiots/vandals away.

Yes we do voiceovers. The first is the general announcements (showtimes, dim headlights, etc). The second is midshow and tells the folks about the donation box, and the third announcement lets them know the show is over. We do the voiceovers thru Audacity. They come out great and you can edit them. If you were to collect, toys can become cumbersome and food needs to be stored away from critters. We only ask for car change and have yet to get ANY change. Mostly 5, 10, and 20 dollar bills. I have only run the show for 2 nights and have received $168 for St. Judes already. The crowds will pick up as the season goes on, so I am hoping for a lot more.

But back to security. I think prevention is the best medicine so letting viewers know about cameras (or make them THINK you have cameras) is better than trying to decifer video images of someone trashing your display.

I've posted a sign in my yard describing what happened to my inflatable and please have a heart and that a lot of time and money was invested, I now have cameras but don't want to advertise about them causei figure 3 things,1-they leave it alone, 2- they become more determined cause its now a challenge and really wreck things, 3- they wear. A ski mask and a camera does no good

We have found the signs do more then the cameras do. They keep many people honest by knowing they are being recorded. Same with the signs about the alarm system on the house. Most people will not want to mess with something knowing they stand a better chance of being caught and the signs seem to do that. Since we have a corner lot we have signs on two sides of the property. They do not take away from the display. They are mounted lower on our fence but can be seen by all.

Better to prevent then to have to use the video later is our feeling about it. We only got hit once this year and we have a good video of the guy that did it. Something to remember him by! :angry:

it is fun to sit in the house at night though and watch people waving at the cameras. :P Most of ours are out so they can see them.

Edited by VegasLee

I have camera's and signs, but have added a dedicated alarm system for the Display's. For less that $100 I got a wireless alarm with 16 window switches. I place a small stake next to the base of the display/wire bundle and then zip-tie the transmitter (size of a pack of gum) to the stake. Then zip-tie the magnet to the display. If the display or item being protected is moved the siren sounds loud and clear. This works very well, as I found out when I triued to move a display item without turning the base unit off. You can even use the trigger repay to turn on flood lights if you like. I sleep better knowing I have an extra level of protection.

My signs seem to do the trick they simply say "Smile our cameras feed directly to the North Pole."

Then I have some camers that are visable and some that are not.

Any chance of letting us either see a pic or two of your signs , or maybe just telling us what they say ? I have not really had any "serious" problems , and would rather avoid any if at all possible and myabe posting a sign or two might add a little bit more of security . Its just that I honestly do not know what to say on the signs without sounding either rude , or untrustworthy of the folks that come to view . I don't want to upset them , but , as I said ... a little extra security sure could not hurt .