Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
jacobjdell

2012 Magic In The Sky Group Buy

Hi MITS! Thank you for the update! I was a bit worried about the orders. Hope it makes it over to Hawaii before the middle of October.

Stanward

.....Wow, Homeland Security.....You SUCK!!!

Yes, they may appear to be an inconvenience, but in light of the idiots in the world, I'm glad they're around

To keep everyone up to date of what is going on with the container, it has been sitting at St. George Customs station waiting to be cleared. It has already passed an X-ray exam. We continue to have everything on standby to ship everything just as soon as it is released. You can monitor the progress and view a webcam at http://stgl.stgusa.com/warehousingSTG/warehousing?event=HOME&db=HOU The container number is CMAU8102174. Our broker said most Christmas related containers are being flagged for inspection, but didn't know why. As always you can reach us at 210-267-5371 or [email protected]

This has been a really bad experience so far. Months behind schedule and I'm sure many other people are also frustrated and wondering if they are ever going to get their lights in time to put together their holiday shows, I know I certainly am! I just checked the schedule for the container and see that it is shown as arrived in Houston and that it is in transport to consignee which is, I assume, Jacob at Magic in the Sky. Hopefully we'll see some lights soon as Jacob said in a previous post that they would be shipped within a day of arrival. When I've made shipments from China (Sichuan and Beijing) to Port of Los Angeles things cleared pretty quickly, within a couple of days, and we had them delivered from the customs warehouse quickly so hope that happens in Texas. :unsure:

Edited by jmpgfoto

Been thru this before - thank God we didnt order anything for Halloween becasue I would be stressed out!

Edited by debtoews

At least Jacob is keeping us informed about the status, and the error in the original shipment.

I know most of my plans for the lights this year are not going to happen, but I'll just be able to start replacing lights on things the day after they come down.

The last time I ordered lights from another vendor, I never got the correct lights in either length, bulb style, wire color, bulb color, or 1/2 vs full wave. In fact part of this order from Jacob is finally correcting some of the wrong lights that I HAD to use, because I have no other choice unless I didn't put up any lights at all.

Thanks for all your work Jacob.

I really don't understand the frustration about some lights. I ordered from MITS because I wanted to save some cash during the presale. Whenever they show up is fine for me. Lights that I absolutely needed to put on display items in advance I ordered from a different vendor who carries them in stock year round. Of course i paid more but I am satisfied with that decision. If it was easy to order directly from China we would all do it ourselves.

Thanks from me as well Jacob for all your hard work.

I really don't understand the frustration about some lights. I ordered from MITS because I wanted to save some cash during the presale. Whenever they show up is fine for me. Lights that I absolutely needed to put on display items in advance I ordered from a different vendor who carries them in stock year round. Of course i paid more but I am satisfied with that decision. If it was easy to order directly from China we would all do it ourselves.

Thanks from me as well Jacob for all your hard work.

I think you are about to find out!

I wasn't going to reply but you did ask!

Some of us build things that require lights or like me swap out or add lights to items.

This takes time. Where I live the temp can go below freezing in the next few weeks which makes working outside difficult.

I would prefer to work outside in short instead of a parka and gloves.

Halloween is about a month away the day after I start setting up for Christmas.

Again you asked! :-)

Some of us build things that require lights or like me swap out or add lights to items.

This takes time. Where I live the temp can go below freezing in the next few weeks which makes working outside difficult.

And I guess Canada Customs have never held any packages or shipments back?

I too live in an area where it gets cold in November and prefer to do most of my setup in October so I only have to run extension cords in the cold weather. While not Canada cold, it still can be uncomfortable. I have been swapping out lights and building numerous items with lights from another vendor and with additional lights I had the foresight to order last year from MITS. All I am saying is wouldn't it be better to order from someone who has stock on hand if one absolutely needed lights by a certain date rather then rely on someone who has put together this group buy as a convenience to us? After all this isn't MITS primary business.

Dean's question was "I really don't understand the frustration about some lights.

BDEDITCH Yes Canada Custom has held up shipments but what does that have to do with Dean's question

I didn't order from MITS but did order from another vendor fully expecting to have light in hand before I need them.

I think everyone who ordered from MITS expected to have their lights and understand why they are frustrated about some lights! (I would be pissed).

Dean's question was "I really don't understand the frustration about some lights.

BDEDITCH Yes Canada Custom has held up shipments but what does that have to do with Dean's question

I didn't order from MITS but did order from another vendor fully expecting to have light in hand before I need them.

I think everyone who ordered from MITS expected to have their lights and understand why they are frustrated about some lights! (I would be pissed).

If you didn't order from MITS , then why are you here stirring things up. My understanding was this was the people that bought lights on this order,

If you didn't order lights from MITS, then why are you posting here??? This thread of for keeping those that DID ORDER from MITS informed of the status, not for everyone to come and brag about how they got their lights from someone else and that even thought they paid more for them.,..... Blah, Blah, Blah...

Please don't start a posting war. Please remember the 3 rules of the forums. If you did not order from MITS, then kindly move along.

That's the problem, too many chiefs an not enough Indians, myself I ordered 3500.00 worth , and I can wait,

I'm giving Jacob the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes mix-ups happen and delays occur. None of my display is affected if the lights don't arrive for a couple of weeks. I understand the frustration and inconvenience this has caused for some of you. Hopefully it will all be resolved shortly.

Hopefully the lights will clear customs soon, and then they'll be on their way to Jacob. With all the delays we've had, we have no control (not even Jacob) on the container clearing customs at this point.

I'm giving Jacob the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes mix-ups happen and delays occur. None of my display is affected if the lights don't arrive for a couple of weeks. I understand the frustration and inconvenience this has caused for some of you. Hopefully it will all be resolved shortly.

I agree Joe, this was way beyond Jacob's control.

Maybe I missed the forum rule about not being allowed to post on a thread for the reasons mentioned above.

I ordered lights from MITS last year, the lights weren't delivered when MITS said they would be. In fact, months later than promised. I asked MITS if they had a strategy to mitigate the same thing happening this year. MITS confirmed they did, and did their best to let me know it would not happen again.

Since it put me way behind schedule last year, and I didn't have a good feeling about getting lights in time, I decided to buy lights elsewhere this year. I recieved them when promised, months ago, and I did not pay more for them, I actually paid a little less.

No, I don't have a pony in this race (this year), but I think it's fair to post info so people can be informed to make their own decisions. While we really don't know why this happened this year, it should be known that since this is not their primary business these kinds of things can and do happen. I think MITS should be a little more forward in letting buyers know this. But they put themselves in this position by not telling buyers about possible delays. They were over-confident, IMO, about delivery expectations.

I have no issue with MITS, other than repeated delivery delays. The lights I received last year were very good quality. MITS just needs to be a little more realistic with what they tell potential buyers.

Edited by fan1080

Jacob emailed everyone that ordered lights and informed up of the delays as they happened.

I received an email on 5/24 saying part of my order was ready for shipping. and that the rest would ship when the other container arrived. Then on 6/7 Jocob emailed everyone again explaining about the problem with the second container and a detailed list of things that were going to take place with re-ordering, rush shipping from China, etc...

So, those that did not order from MITS/Jacob do not know the full story, therefore you don't need to come in here and act like you do, or think you know of a better way to get lights made in a rush IN CHINA, get them put into a container and ship and then get them from China to HOUSTON. PLUS..... Have them get stopped in customs for inspection.

Give him a break. Jacob has done 1000x more than "that other vendor" from several years ago and HE HAS KEPT HIS CUSTOMERS FULLY INFORMED the entire time.

If there is more to the story, MITS is doing themselves a dis-service by not coming here and posting the full story. How else can they re-gain the faith of past customers who have gone elsewhere, or new customers reading this thread?

It seems they ran into a different issue compared to last year though, so hopefully they have learned something new and can use that info to mitigate issues for next year.

And, just for the record, I have no axe to grind with MITS. As I said previously, I'm happy with the lights I recieved. Hopefully they can improve.

Every year its a crpa shoot -stuff happens- we just accept it for what it is and try to wait patiently becasue we like to save money...looking to change over to CCR/CCP and no longer buy strings....thats our solution.

Hello

I understand everyones fustration over the issue. I also know that Jacob is feeling it even more. His hands are tied and has been very infomative the best he can. Ever since 9/11 we wanted better protection at our boarders. We have it now and YES at times it is unpleasent for us. Retailers expect to do more sales at this time of the year and it realy cloggs stuff up. I am not writing anything that is new to us. I support any small company. Here we have a company that has decided to try something to expand their sales and at the same time offer a better product and price or at the very least compete for sales. I think we need to keep a positive approach and this is what makes this forum great. If you have a problem or a suggestion then pick up the phone and call Jacob and express your thoughts. I feel that if it is that much of a concern for others or worth your time then you would stop and dial. Maybe I am old school but I beleive this is the best way and at times the internet has made it to easy for us in some ways. We will have our lights just as soon as MTS can get them. I am glad that the shippment appears to be correct and that it is in customs and that is where the hold up is. How do I know this? I picked up the phone and CALLED Jacob. I will buy from MTS next year to support small companies , this is what makes our country great.