Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
addieslights

Why Cant People Leave Things Alone

So just came home from work and I was watching everything turn on out my window when I see about 5 kids standing directly infront of yard, ever get that feeling that someone is up to no good, I've got about 30 shepard hooks around my perimeter of yard with lights hangin from them so its not just a free for all to walk in, so watching these darling little angels when the first one darts under lights an runs up to my santa sleigh and proceeds to make obscene gestures at him, out the door I went and all they could say was sorry, I just want to rip all of there hair out, never had any trouble till this year and it is getting old fast, I did point out all the cameras to theem and all they could do was give a dumb look

Sorry to hear you having problems. No one likes to see their displays messed with

I am not sure what is considered a "kid" but the police determined that the man we caught on video vandalizing our display last weekend was about 25 years old. He stopped his car, got out and did the damage then drove off.

Don't let them get you down. What you do is worth the trouble. You make 100's/1000's happy with your display each year.

They were just kids, probly about 10 or so, the ones who slashed my snowman were much older, so tired ofhavin stress about displays, I do try to stay on posative side, had a cop stop last night and thank me for everything and said how much his family loves them, everyone one has been wonderfull and helpfull, guess that's what keeps me going

If these are neighborhood kids. next year, offer to pay them to help you put up the decorations. That way, when they work hard doing it, they will have a personal interest in what they have accomplished and will be much less likely to mess it up, and more likely to keep their friends from messing it up as well. Kids need something to do, they need a vested interest in their neighborhood, and they need to have the feeling they made a change in their environment (why they try to wreck displays, become destructive and make graffiti). pay them to help and it will change all that bad behavior. Win-Win situation.

Edited by Darlene Pino

Dont be a pushover. Set the tone! Everbody in whole city dont mess with me b/c they think im CrAzY! Thats fine when they start paying my taxes then i will start worring what people think of me. Trust me i aint crazy but far as they think WHO knows! We do put on a good show no matter if its christmas 4th of july or halloween so you dont bite the the hand that feeds ya either. Like i say cant be "Mr nice guy" forever they will run all over ya kids or adults. Some people just hate christmas i dunno why they just have something against it i know a few. Maybe had bad childhood or something but i tell ya if they think your gonna come outside with a double barrel shotgun they think twice before they start slashing things and tearing things up. Im not saying use weapons when it comes to kids b/c kids are stupid and thats that but adults know better. kids are easily run off with a air horn catch em off guard and watch em scramble! or spray em with a hose like you would a cat lol Set the tone! :)

I agree with ernie18 - Take the video to the parents, or send out a neighborhood email stating "Who knows these angels?" with close ups of their faces, then say "They are now on Santa's Naughty list" and them post the pics of them making the gestures.

Good luck going to parents, last summer, I heard glass breaking looked up and several children were in a dangerous old house around the corner, I chased them home, knocked on the door and the woman told me those kids had been in her house watching movies for hours!