Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Dave H

Big Box Store Remaining Inventory

I started doing some checking this week after work, stopping at various Lowes, HD, Target, Wal-Mart, etc, to see their remaining light stock (in anticipation of 12/26 sales).

NOT THIS YEAR

Looks like they all will have a good year with regards to clearing out their inventory of light strings, at orginal prices. All of the Lowes have consolidated their product into one aisle. Even the risers for the trees have been removed and all remaining trees sit on the floor, unlit.

Wal-Mart, same thing. All of their lights have been shrunk into about 3 bays of racks.

Even K-Mart has limited supplies of lights/

This is from the Central Florida area.

PS. Last day for sale on green Sp 2 extension cords at Target with the 3 way cube head and individual outlet closers. 6ft for $1.11 and 9ft for $1.39.

Those become cheaper than zip wire and vampire plugs at that length.

Hope the rest of the country has better luck on the 26th

Same thing here in Vegas. We have hit Walmart's, Kmart's, Lowes and Home Depot. Looks like there will be no big mark downs to take advantage of this year.

All the retailers got a good handle on their inventories and controlled costs and their profit margins this year.

This is great for them but not for the ones of us that like to spend way to much money after Christmas on decorations. :o

I have been looking here as well.

With much the same story.

My comment to the better half was.

"If you remember last year. Walmart packed everything up and it was gone by the 26th."

No sale.

All the retailers got a good handle on their inventories and controlled costs and their profit margins this year.

This is great for them but not for the ones of us that like to spend way to much money after Christmas on decorations. :o

Well, I guess looking at the bright side (no pun intended) if this is a signal that big corps are starting to steer us out of the past couple years of change, then I myself am willing to forego the discounts for the sake of the country.

The Lowes I have been to have been completely out of incandescents for weeks now. The Targets only have a few icicles and the $5/100 Phillips incandescents.

I stopped in Walgreens this evening and they have boxes of 50 count C6 Red, Green, or Blue LEDs and Blue M5s marked as "Clearance" for $6.50 (original price $11). That was still a little more than I hoped to pay for clearance LEDs, but that is the only place that I've found solid green LEDs this year so I bought the last 6 boxes of greens. I've not used Walgreens lights in the past, so I'm still deciding if I will try to hit a few more Walgreens to pick more up tomorrow.

I've used the Walgreens incandescents (70 cnt) red/green/twinkle around my windows / door / garage for a couple of years before converting over to led. Still use the twinkle on them until I can spring for pure white led.

I also use thier red / green incands on my mini trees. The same strings (without replacing any bulbs) have been working for 3 years and have retained their color to almost original condition

Edited by Dave H

It's similar here, but I have never gone to the big stores after the holidays to get lights on clearance. I always go to smaller stores to get them.

Torqumada

Was at Lowes and Walmart yesterday, same story. Nothing to be had as far as mini's go. 3 Walmarts have LED's that I can use. No incandecents anywhere. And, in order to complete my roof line, I need 2 boxes of blue C9 LED's from Walmart. I can "make them" by converting 5 boxes of C9 multi blue caps onto 1 string of Warm Clear C9 strings... but it's not the most cost effective solution. I'll get an extra green, red, orange, and yellow set as well.

Last year, I found 5 cases of green, maybe a 15 boxes of red, and a lots of LED's. I see a good bit of clear LED minis that will make a great addition to the display and reduce the clear incandescent around my windows. If I find enough, I'll be able to switch out some on my tree lines.

the days of $0.50 100ct minis after Christmas are over

Don't be so sure. These things cycle around. All they need is a year or 2 of strong sales of Christmas items and they will stock up the following year.

TED

I haven't been out in the last few days but a few days ago there were still a lot of lights available in stores around here. Garden Ridge in particular had a ton of lights!

TED

I haven't been out in the last few days but a few days ago there were still a lot of lights available in stores around here. Garden Ridge in particular had a ton of lights!

TED

Wish is were the case here. I'm in the Orlando area and i even went out to the rural areas last weekend to see what some had; there was not a whole lot.

Walgreen 50ct C-6 LEDs....not marked online nor in store. The BLUE LEDs were marked at $6.49. I wanted GREEN and asked about those. Yep. They rang up at $6.49. I was happy. Now buying out all of metro Atl. 8-)

Walgreen 50ct C-6 LEDs....not marked online nor in store. The BLUE LEDs were marked at $6.49. I wanted GREEN and asked about those. Yep. They rang up at $6.49. I was happy. Now buying out all of metro Atl. 8-)

Stay away from the CSRA!

;)

Torqumada

This was a bad year. Usually I can pick up a lot of lights from Hobby Lobby, but they did not even carry their own brand of incandescents this year. They only had the more expensive GE brand and not very many of them. The only thing I may buy this year are some more artificial trees.

I stopped in the Walmart on the south side of town this morning. Everything is already consolidated and the garden items are coming back out. Artifical trees are slim picking also, unless pink or purple trees are your thing. They even have some of the twig trees left, although they are only 3 ft high. Everything is shrinking. Maybe its time for a smaller row in front of the original ones Richard

Stay away from the CSRA!

;)

Torqumada

CSRA? I am only going to pick up a few more boxes...from a few other stores. BTW. Walgreen's has this "Jingle Cash" thing. I am waiting till tomorrow to go and get more. Can get $10.00 off my $30.00 purchase...because of the other lights I bought :-)