Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
logan_moore

Webcam?

Alright last year I set up webcam of my display on www.christmasdisplays.net however it was not very reliable. I had to shoot it from through my window, and I had it hung from my window seal with some nylon thread. It worked but not well.

For this year I would like to have a streaming video camera, or a wireless camera that is reliable. I would like to be able to have a wireless cam so that I can place it in a tree out close to the road.

If I could find a streaming video wireless cam that would be perfect, other wise I am ok with running a cable for the streaming cam, or just having a wireless regular cam that is reliable.

This cam serves 3 purposes for me

1. Allows all of you to see my display live

2. Helps with security can have people from all around watching over your stuff

3. ** The biggie, I work at a public library and my main job is to help people with computers and make sure they dont look at anything inappropriate. Well I dont normally get home until after my display has been on for 3 hours, so this allows me to enjoy the visitors watching the display from wherever I am.

So my question is after all that rambling, What do all of you use, and does any one have any suggestions?

I recently saw a few choices of wireless cameras at Walmart under $100. I don't know the details but it's for connecting right to a WiFi network... I would THINK this should be easy to set up for a web broadcast.

If the range isn't good enough for you I have a really easy trick that works extremely well for extending the range.

I'll brush over the details, if anyone wants more info just ask.

You cut the top and bottom off a soda can or find another source for a small bendable metal sheet. Cut out a few parobolic curves in cardboard(i found a GIF picture that you can re-size and cut out the shape in any size you can fit on printer paper) You can stack the cardboard shapes to make a 1/2 to 1 inch think or use a filler between two sheets like styrofoam. Tape the sheet of metal on the curve and cut a hole in the right location (also on thatGIF image) Popyour new parabolic reflector on the antenna on your WiFi product and point it toward your WiFi router.

I have used this to improve signal strength from1 to 25, and 35 to 100

I found the web site http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

FYI, if you have a router with two antennas one is for send and the other receive so you would need to can-tennas on the router... or just one on the other device and forget about the router

Does anyone know about a good night time camera that you can see a ways in the dark? So I can put the camera outside and see across the yard just like it was daylight. I don't want to spend a fortune. I have a camera now that sees great during the day but it's IR capability only works about 4 to 6 feet. Any help would be appreciated.

I can't get much range out of X-10's. Not sure what the deal is but even in the house, they only work about 20 feet from the receiver. :(

Sorry to drag this back up, such an old thread, but, You can buy IR beamers which are just flood lights that give out a lot of IR light, this would be better for you as you woulnt need to get a new cam!

I have the X10 one and the wireless as well. The X10 CCD quality is very poor. It produce very low resolution image. The wireless one has a lot of noise. You can kind of figure out if there are someone walking by or not, but don't expect to reconize who is in view. :)