Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Tremor30

No Parking Signs Went Up Today!

Well, after a very negative neighbor discussion on Friday night and a negative guest book anonymous feedback yesterday, the Police showed up today and put up No parking signs on half the street. At first we thought the whole street! Imagine our thoughts when you come home to see no parking signs down the entire street! At first glance we asumed they were fake... (They look fake) however our imediate neighbor quickly came out to clear her name and declare it wasn't them or their neighbor! However we knew who it was. The same individual who we had the interaction with on Friday. So once we discovered that only half the street was deamed a no parking zone we realized our display would go on! So we started to feel better about it. Then at 6pm the city bylaw officers showed up! We now have supervision every night till the show is over running traffic control! The best part is they have just arranged my relief, now I don't have to spend every night outside keeping cars out of driveways... LOL It's like a blessing in disguise!

The only thing we arn't sure about is who's paying the bill. Anyone have any experience with city traffic control?

So what started with a heart stopping extremley dissapointing evening ended up quite nice!

If you have to pay for it, that is a horrible situation. Traffic here is pretty good at parking on one side of the street on their own so 2-way traffic can still pass. I've had to kick a few people out of driveways too. Even with a voice over, people still don't listen. I'm lucky to live in a town where laws and regulations are hard to find. Common sense prevails and it takes more than one person to change that. Talked with neighbors yesterday and they are all enjoying it and don't mind the traffic so far. Hopefully your situation stays on the positive side.

Don't they have to have public notice and or hearing before making such changes? Most places can't change parking to no parking zones without several hearings & public notice.

Well they declared it an unsafe condition because emergency vehicles would have a hard time gaining access to a few houses! They have also said that they may have to charge us for the costs!

Well they declared it an unsafe condition because emergency vehicles would have a hard time gaining access to a few houses! They have also said that they may have to charge us for the costs!

I would contact the city and get them to put it in writing [yes or no[

Who said you may be responsible for the costs? The Police?. With absoutly no warning from city officals I would fight any bill they hand you.

As for the neighbours,,,thank them for providing crowd control

yeap i agree they cant just do something without permission and then bill ya! ???? THATS CRAZY! Now they might say anything to get you to stop the lights so they dont have to be out there everynight lol I know here if any emegency gets called they have to show up even if wrong number They just doing job to keep things from turning into a argument to a domestic violence! Id just go with it but dont say word one! Start talking to them traffic control and they have openings to say heres your bill STAY CLEAAR :)

So after a heated confrontation face to face with my ward councilor they have agreed that we will not foot the bill for the added costs. The city of brantford and the mayor himself endorsed our show on live TV so it's done. However I came very close to a physical confrontation in the middle of my street infront of 20 cars with my city councilman. He threatened to change the ruling if I didn't stop the lobbying I started in support of my display and make sure he doesn't recieve anymore calls on my behalf. And he said it would not be favourable to me. After I declared to his face in the street that unless I have a written and verbal public apology from him by the end of the day I will be asking the mayor for an apology on behalf of the city for the way he treated me and then I would be pulling the trigger on the media that I have lined up which is two newspapers and the local TV station. He proceded to chase me around the court apologizing up and down for the mis-understanding and he appolized for making me feel threatened.

So we walked away after that and the worse part of it all was when he went to his car... it was parked in the driveway of the neighbor that is spearheading the action... so now I know for sure that the city councilman actually knows the neighbor that complained and hence the reason they were so swift to act and so one sided in the argument.

I don't think cars that are occupied and running are considered "parked".

I know for a fact that in Illinois, they are considered parked. One of the "side bits" I learned while attending college and delivering pizzas.

I know for a fact that in Illinois, they are considered parked. One of the "side bits" I learned while attending college and delivering pizzas.

Are you serious? If your in the car and its in drive but still not moving then its parked? Man thats bitter!

Curiosity got the better of me: http://law.onecle.com/illinois/625ilcs5/11-1303.html

Also remember, Tremor30 lives in Canada. US laws do not apply. The local municipality may very well have the right and authority to bill Tremor30 for the traffic control. Good reason why, after everything settles down this year, to sit down with the appropriate people and discuss traffic control for next year. That way, nobody gets a surprise.

Still, I think this councilman's action were inappropriate. Threatening Tremor30 with the "power of his office" as he did is unethical and should be reported to the appropriate ethics watchdog group. I would also campaign for his opponent in the next election.

Thanks guy's I appreciate your feedback. And yes I also agree that the councilman's actions were way on the wrong side of the way an official should act. However I think my wife and I will probably let it lie now that the major issues are over.