2011 Pixel Wall

jstjohnz

For 2011 I have a pixel wall that's 8 feet wide by 14 feet high. Just over 4,000 pixels arranged with 2" spacing. Pixel type is TLS3001. I went with these because they are 12-bit pixels, and the ability to gamma-correct the intensity curve makes it feasible to display still and video images.

Attached are some links to a couple of videos I shot today. They are fairly low-res, and the camera has trouble keeping up with the intensity changes.

I also shot some stills, attached.

Stills: Sorry it won't let me add files or embedded tags for some reason

Videos:

battle hymn of the republic

I definitely need to bump up my resolution. With my grid, I'm at 16 x 33 pixels with 5" spacing and it doesn't look anywhere near as good as yours.

I'd also be interested in which pixel style you went with and how you mounted them. I ended up with peg board that had larger holes drilled out for the pixels. Luckily we haven't had any significant rain and the shrinky-dink window covering has kept out the moisture that I'm sure would expand the compressed fiberboard if it got wet.

Sorry for the delayed responses...

@joeengler: I use Madrix for controlling the pixels, and I use LOR for the overall show. A few output channels from LOR are used to tell Madrix which memory location to display at any given time. I have some assembly-time photos and I will shoot some more before/during disassembly, but the construction is really pretty simple, see next.

@brightchristmas: I used TLS3001s because they are 12 bits and do a much better job of rendering images than the 8 bit pixels do. Last year I had a 40x50 matrix of 8-bit pixels at 3" spacing, but I couldn't get good image quality. So this year I upped the resolution from 40x50 to 48x84, and I reduced the spacing from 3" to 2". Last year I just dangled pixel strings, so the spacing wasn't very consistent and pixel brightness varied depending on which way the individual pixels pointed. This year, in order to get consistent spacing I used pegboard as a template to drill through sheets of black coro, then the pixels just snap into the coro panels from the back side. The coro panels (6 in all) each measure 32" wide by 84" high. The top and bottom edges of the coro panels are screwed to 3 horizontal 2x2s that are attached to the house. The strings are 42 pixels each, so each vertical column in each panel is one string of pixels. The 2" spacing works out pretty well for my typical viewing distance. From the road you can still make out individual pixels, but they are close enough that they blend pretty well.

@monkhouse: The fireworks is one of the many built-in effects with Madrix. The flag and Eagle are ordinary animated gifs that I found with google. You just tell Madrix to display the gif, and you can crop/scale it as needed.

@fordsbyjay: Combo of LOR and Madrix, see top response in this post. The controllers are 6 of my E681 pixel controllers. Each of them is fully populated with 16 42-pixel strings, More info on the controllers at sandevices.com.

I definitely need to bump up my resolution. With my grid, I'm at 16 x 33 pixels with 5" spacing and it doesn't look anywhere near as good as yours.

I'd also be interested in which pixel style you went with and how you mounted them. I ended up with peg board that had larger holes drilled out for the pixels. Luckily we haven't had any significant rain and the shrinky-dink window covering has kept out the moisture that I'm sure would expand the compressed fiberboard if it got wet.

That's one advantage of the coro, it's waterproof. Also lightweight and pretty inexpensive, I believe I paid $13 or $14 per 4x8 sheet. And the particular pixels I used are the ones with the 3/4" square bases. They tend to stay in place better than the cylindrical pixels.