My 2012 Display Idea's Could Use Some Helpful Tricks And Suggestions.

I don't think 64 channels is too much to start with. You'll find out that it does take some time and effort to sequence everything correctly... but it looks like you're getting everything planned out way ahead of time! Everything looks like it is going to be fun for the viewers! Good luck with it and make sure you post pics and vids.

So far i got a few Songs Sequenced for 4th of July I've spent two days on each 4 - 5 minute song so far tweeking and such

One Question THough How long should i make a Show?

So far i got For July 4th

64 Channel -

C-130 Marine Corp Cadence 3:58 (Marine Corps Hip Hop Cadence Vol. 1)(First Fully done Myself)

Dualing Banjos 3:23 (The Charles Daniels Band)

Halls of Montazuma 3:27 (John Phillip Sousa )

Stars and Strips Forever 3:30 (John Philip Sousa)

Also Working on Niel Diamonds (America)

Also Worked on a Few Halloween

64 Channel -

(My First Sequence seemed everyone Learnes from it So i gave it a shot) The Adams Family 1:25

And a Few Christmas

64 Channel -

All i want for Christmas is You 4:01 (Mariah Carey) (Got bits and Pieces from Web Learned much from it)

Jingle Bomb - Achmed the Dead Terrorist(Jeff Dunham) 4:53 ( Done on my Own)

All the Sequence's listed are done by me since my display is apparently alot different than most i had to Learn from a few i found online but from them I learned how to make my own granted theres proberly more i can do with the sequence editor than i am but am using everything Demo Version allows me to use. If anyone is Interested to critic my work feel free to ask and perhaps we can email so i can get some of those Pro's out there to let me know how my sequencing looks so far. even as Primitive as i am i think they look good

Now all i need is thousands of lights :)

And several thousand feet of extension cords.

:blush:

Not as many as you would think a 40 foot extention cord would go from the power source (The white gate area )(halloween Skull Face) across the whole front to the driveway arch the front of my house is really small compared to alot of other peoples

Your planning looks great and it is good that you are started early. My only concern is that if you are questioning "am I going too big, too fast?" perhaps you are. What if you had a Plan B? Maybe 32 channels? While 64 channels is do-able, if there is a question, IMHO it is better to be an Annual display that grows than a one year wonder. Again, just MHO.

I have thought over what i did say and now that i have pretty much figured out the sequencing of multi songs and can now almost easilly simulate patterns in music and beats 64 channel's for my setup's is easy and now that i started i cant see how to go any less and 64 channel's is small compared to what is in my head so i have came to the conclusion 64 channel's is my small display and my display alerady has plenty of room for growing up for the years to follow as i get more lights and controllers , so in a sense 2010 was my Very first small Display only 8 channel's now i am growing into 64 and plans are already made that has upto 256 channel's and currently sequencing at a .01 on a few newer items i am working on which will be for christmas i still keeping the music christmasy

First of all, GREAT WORK on your diagrams... I hope you scanned those into your computer so you can print an endless supply of them for the future years. I still have my original hand drawn image. Then I re-drew the lines in PhotoShop and made them more "exact". lol

As I told you before, I began with 64 channels. It was a lot of work, PERIOD.

What if you had a Plan B? Maybe 32 channels? While 64 channels is do-able...

Mike makes a good statement. 3 years ago, this week in January, I had completed my first 64 channel show. 2 months later I was scheduled for Military training that would run from August thru December 15th. My plan was to grow to 144 channels for 2009. I was able to "create the show" for 144 channels, however; I did not have the time to build the 5 controllers, purchase the extension cords, and upgrade the electrical to support the new show before leaving for active duty. Now, I went through some hard core training where we were not able to use any electronic devices and taking a laptop was not authorized. So after I had done all the work to "have the show", I was unable to use it!

My return from training was on Dec 17, and the next 3 days were spent rushing to set-up the display. By Dec 21, I was able to put the show up. I used the original 64 channels, and the sequences mirrored my 2008 show. The big difference was the sequencing... I had gotten better. Also, I worked out lots of little bugs that made the first year so rocky.

Point being, I had mentally began planning how I was going to pull-off a bigger show with the same channels I had used the year before. I have 1 Youtube Video of my 2009 show using all LED C7 on the house and adding 2 Holdman tree-lines. PLAN B helped me create a show without having to add channels. I bet if I tried hard enough next year, I could find a way to create some new effects without adding more channels.

First of all, GREAT WORK on your diagrams... I hope you scanned those into your computer so you can print an endless supply of them for the future years. I still have my original hand drawn image. Then I re-drew the lines in PhotoShop and made them more "exact". lol

The Diagrams are on 2' by 4' Coro Boards all three of them after i was done i took photo's of them and put them on the computer, Good idea on photo shop i'll proberly do that as well for finer details and finer details will help with the visualizer ( drawing on it is a pain when your mouse and hand cant draw straight :))

Congrats on the military I "Am a Retired Marine corp." once a marine always a marine" - Ohh Rah!

I have already upgraded my Electrical Services to handle the load of 8 LOR's only working on 4 for 2012 my biggest thing is the number of lights i am in the need of getting and if i do not get all the lights i do need my back-up plan for Christmas is to redo 2011's Display with slight Changes like instead of Mr. Christmas controller LOr Controlling the light Display ( which i already made a back-up planning sequencing for that just incase.hense Plan B) and plan C is if i dont end up with 4x LOR's to revert back too Mr. Christmas but plan A is i'll have my 4 LOR's and be able to use the sequenc's i am making - which are going to be ones i have not seen out there as of yet, and some that are of course. I plan on setting up my three holidays using july 4th as a practice Halloween my walk thru will so improve with LOr controlling all my Animated creatures that currently run with pressure plates now i can use an eye toy motion activated ( Halloween is my favorite holiday been building halloween for 10 years now i can see the great potential LOr will add to it as well now - originally only thing i had was a horrifying Walk around my house - now a light show for the front and walk around once i get the new new laws and regulations for the city i live in now more strict this year.

As for channel's like my Display i have three forms of what i can do, want to do , and what will be. To me it is a matter of getting enough light strings - i already got 100 extension cords and gathering tons of 6' extension cords for the items i am building. like sleeved arch's sleeved poles' a sleeved mega treee and sleeved mega driveway arch each sleeve will get 4 colors 1 white 100 count 1 red 1 green and one bblue also working on a way of making 8' PVC pipes Slitted for my roof lines not with holes drilled but a complete slit cut on one side where i can pout light strings in ( Tired of tangled wires ) i'm even buying Alot of Outside Wired Garland for the Fairy LED lights to strengthen the wireing on the fairy lights. so they will be more Durable to my liking ( (ive already broken a few of those thin wires very irratating) So to strengthen them im putting them on thick garland ive tested the look and to me they look better with the respected color garland. yes i am doing alot but most is being done to make the items easilly storable and durable during setup and tear downs, - and by making the sleeve sections makes them versitile for other holidays i just keep everything labeled with colors and just slip them onto poles basically the sleeves are made up of 2foot section of 2"1/2 thin PVC wrapped with lights then i use a 1inch thick PVC for what ever i want to make like a mega pole or arch's use railroad spikes there 3 feet long put in the ground and then put the 1" over it and slide the sleeves over the 1" pipe the space between the 1" and 2"1/2 is enough to run the Extention cords thru each pipe till it reach's the end at the end of each item i then run extension cords to the LOR, on the side of my house is a 6" pvc pipe that runs up to the roof where alot of the show will be and i run extension cords thru it to the item being lite up. for my driveway arch at the side closest to the house there is a basement window where i have next to it is the OLD OIL Pipe's cleaned out and made so i can CAP both end off when not being used i use them to run extension cords to the driveway arch, inside will be a LOR box close to wqher my PC room is, the other three will be on the other side of the house behind my gate where wires and everything else has already been feed thru the foundation and made quick connect's for rj45, power, phone line, speeker connections, (Surround sound channel's of sound scattered all around my house ( mostly useing for halloween but there is 3 in the front of my house Left/Right/Center)( my front door has 2 speekers and the side alley has 12 the back walkway has 6 and my driveway itself has 6) all can be the same speeker line or the mixer i have can seperate them) the mixer was my friends he only sh0owed me how to seperate so each animatronic holloween thing i got can have its own moans and groans and screech's but i qam working with it more to figure out more of it's functions