Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
dougd

Lowes Discount Dates

Our Lowes actually had quite a bit yesterday. I picked up all the clear LED's that I need for next year. They still had quite a few multi colored lights that I would grab at 75% off. There discount schedule this year was much different than the past few years. Anyone have a best guess when they will go 75% off?

I would assume either the 31st or the 1st. They were right around when they normally drop their prices, although it was a Friday instead of the middle of the week. It is usually around the 15th give or take a day.

Will Sanders

I haven't seen any stores at 75% off yet! There are several I'm trying to watch. There are very few posts this year about the discount schedules. Usually we have a few people with inside sources who let us know when the prices will drop.

TED

At Wal-Mart, I've been able to get 75% off floor displays (trees) that don't have any boxes (as of mid week). I am hoping that 75% hits early next week. It's still cheaper than putting items back in inventory

The don't put it back on inventory... it is either trashed OR returned to a central location. There it is inventoried and sold to discounters. Last year, Ollies Bargan Outlet purchased a huge lot from them. They sold it this year at their stores for around 50% of the price. No lights, just light clips, hangers, garland, etc... But they had no lights left last year either. I was wheeling and dealing here. Got 75% off on most stores that had LED just by saying, "I'll take um all for 75% off right now." It's hard to do that at a Walmart though, lots of junk ya just can't use.

Typical Walmart is New Year's day at 75% off. Good luck finding lights then haha. I was talking to a Lowes rep here in PA and he was telling me how the North East of the country really gets shafted on the amount of Christmas inventory they hold. Yes retailers have cut back over the years, but not as much as they have in this part of the country. I guess you gotta brush off you Sherlock Holmes skills to find great deals on lights at the stores now-a-days.

The best I found thanks to a friend here in Canada was Boxing Day Rona went onsale at 75% off! It was a fantastic find. Their lights are great, they have what's called an indoor version of their outdoor ones but the only difference is the size of the wire. They are sealed and full wave. A very great light. And I picked up all they had left of what I needed for less than $3 a box for most of the 50CCT and $4.69 for the 100 counts.

they have what's called an indoor version of their outdoor ones but the only difference is the size of the wire.

The main difference between indoor and outdoor lights (and extension cords, etc.) is that the outdoor sets are resistant to UV light from the Sun. Indoor rated stuff is not.

TED

Typical Walmart is New Year's day at 75% off. Good luck finding lights then haha.

Target is 70% off today

You can find some stuff if you look at enough stores. I went to a Target that was mostly wiped out at 70% off but I still found triple taps for .89 and a couple extension cords. (I passed up a set of pink LEDs.) Are you guys checking Walgreen's? There have been lights at most of the ones I've been in. There are so many Walgreen's stores that you don't have to travel too far to check several. As for walmart I noticed that one store had no lights at all left on Christmas Eve. I'm sure they didn't sell them all because they had a bunch before. Walmart has been known to move stock from one store to another which I think is what happened.

Here are the current discounts I found on Saturday 12/31/11:

Target 70%

Walgreen's, Kmart, and Garden Ridge still at 50% (so was walmart on Friday12/30/11).

Some of these will probably drop to 75% on 1/1/12.

TED

Edited by TED

Target 70%

Walgreen's, Kmart, and Garden Ridge still at 50% (so was walmart on Friday12/30/11).

TED

As of this morning, the discounts TED listed are the same here in Kentucky. I was really hoping Garden Ridge would go to 75% today because they still have quite a few things that I'd like to pick up for the right price.

As of this morning, the discounts TED listed are the same here in Kentucky. I was really hoping Garden Ridge would go to 75% today because they still have quite a few things that I'd like to pick up for the right price.

For this year, you need to weigh the importance of the items you are holding out for. I procrastinated this morning on the Sear web site for some 5mm leds. By 2 pm, they were sold out. The price was right I just couldn't decide how many boxes to buy. Guess, it was decided for me

For this year, you need to weigh the importance of the items you are holding out for. I procrastinated this morning on the Sear web site for some 5mm leds. By 2 pm, they were sold out. The price was right I just couldn't decide how many boxes to buy. Guess, it was decided for me

Eh, I'm only holding out because I really don't need them...but when things get to 75% off, I start to reconsider. It won't be a big deal if I don't get anything else. I did pick up some warm white 5mm LEDs from Sears last night...did the free shipping to store option and it says the ETA on them is 55-60 days. :blink: I guess when they show up, that will be the kick in the pants I need to get started working on some new elements.

Just an FYI i found lots of Walgreens LED at 75% today $2.79 a box 50ct picked up 28 boxes today. i didn't think Walgreens would go 75% but i was wrong.

Just an FYI i found lots of Walgreens LED at 75% today $2.79 a box 50ct picked up 28 boxes today. i didn't think Walgreens would go 75% but i was wrong.

I'll have to go check ours out...at least one of the local Walgreens packed their lights up and put them away on 12/26.

You can find some stuff if you look at enough stores. I went to a Target that was mostly wiped out at 70% off but I still found triple taps for .89 and a couple extension cords. (I passed up a set of pink LEDs.) Are you guys checking Walgreen's? There have been lights at most of the ones I've been in. There are so many Walgreen's stores that you don't have to travel too far to check several. As for walmart I noticed that one store had no lights at all left on Christmas Eve. I'm sure they didn't sell them all because they had a bunch before. Walmart has been known to move stock from one store to another which I think is what happened.

Target 70%

TED

Went to 13 Walmarts on Dec 26. Basically the first 3 are the only ones to have any lights to begin with. Walmarts in the Pittsburgh market were severely shorted. I hit 1 Target where I found the Blue LED's (enough for the entire display). Thanks to Walgreens at 14 locations and 12 Giant Eagle, I found all I need for 2012. I even got 75% because I purchase the entire stocks and told them I was collecting for our local fire department. All but 1 Walgreens gave the the 75% price. Dec 26 and 27th I racked up over 400 miles and you don't wanna know how much I spent. Not tooting my horn here, but I'm willing to bet I made out better than most did in our region.

I have looked & looked at several stores after Christmas. I had to go into work on 12/24 thru 12/27, so I probably missed some stores' stock. I was basically only able to find "multi color" light strings anywhere. I plan to purchase lights when they are first available, about 4-6 weeks BEFORE Christmas this year. So much for finding sales of white, red, green, or blue light strings after Christmas!! Arrgh.

The Lowes here in Indy are now 75% off. I was able to snag the Santa Snack Wagon plus the Santa in the Outhouse. They even let me use a 10% off coupon I had. I also went back and grabbed the display nativity. I think I spent around $70 for all 3.

I was able to score BIG at Lowes!!! :) They didn't have really any light strings left, but the LED "display" items like the Gemmy 9 ft light tree, snow flakes and bells I was able to snag at an unheard of price!!! So glad I decided to go there that day because I really wasn't going to. Had to make 3 trips because my car is too small!

our lowes was 99% out of stock on everything the week before christmas, a few buildings, and lots of c9 incandescent lights at 3 of the closest lowes in the area.