This was my second year doing a display. Last year they left everything alone and nothing was bothered. This year I had to file a police report because the light bulbs kept coming up missing in the yard, and one of my angels took a good beating. According to the police they have been hitting alot of peoples houses this year, either cutting the wires or just stealling things from the displays.

I am seriously considering getting a video security system. What is a good system, but not expensive. I know some of them are out of my price range in the thousands of dollars. I'm thinking about either a wireless or wired system. On a wired system, just not sure of all the cables running out of the wall into the DVR.

Thanks for any information to point me in the right direction.

I'd like thoughts on video security also. Woke up this morning to find that i had become a member of the vandalizism club.My arches were destroyed and quite a few wire frames.Had intended to run the show until this weekend,quess that's not possible now!! As long as there is evil in the world, there will be vandalism. :(

Edited by dreamer78

Even exspensive systems may not be worth the money.

Have you ever seen the videos of bank robbers.

You will need to capture at night with little or no light

Puttting cameras might prevent the crime if the bad guys know they are there.

Motion activated flood lights might help (they really don't like anyone seeing them).

I have one that is activated as soon as the show is over.

I have a netlight fence around my display as well.

I have been lucky so far...

Fencing of any kind seems to help a lot.

Also being outside each evening to "greet the public" during show hours seems to help as a deterrent.

Barking dogs help. We have two, our neighbors on each side have 3 each, and across the street are two more,

and two behind me.They all alert when someone is outside.

We have two signs up that say Security cameras in use. Cameras are hidden and at "eye level".

with night vision. Cameras need to be at eye level to get good identification of the bad guys.

Cameras put up high take pictures at a terrible angle for identification of perps.

One sign says Danger High voltage and a red ropelight lying across the front of the lawn.

It helps to have the police drive by as often as they can.

It helps to have nosey senior citizen neighbors across the street that stay up late at night to walk their dog.

We tie down everything really good, so it is very difficult to remove anything.

I get up between 3 and 4 a.m. and do a spot check. (I get up that time anyway).

Put out a reward sign for information leading to the arrest of the persons who did this.

Another person on this list went to the TV and did a spot on how the vandals stole from a charity.

NNews is always looking for a story, so it doesn't hurt to go that route. You just might find the bad guys.

a tripwire alarm works pretty good. THe kind of pull pin alarm that you can get at radio shack. attach the pin to monofilament and if someone trips it (pulls the monofilament line that in turn pulls out the pin) the alarm goes off. They are really cheap

here is an example: http://www.christmas-onthe-hill.com/alarm.htm You can also use electric eye motion detectors that set off an alarm (you can have the alarm inside if you want so it doesn't bother neighbors). Either should be tall enough that a squirrel or dog won't set it off every hour.

But the realitiy is, if someone really wants to do this, they will.

I bought this last year. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-CH-CCTV-Security-DVR-Outdoor-Camera-System-/180625282394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0e1b155a#ht_5348wt_1132

it was an easy install and i am very happy with quality for the price. With a few spotlights around the yard at night, with the night vision cameras, you have a pretty good picture. And it has a 500 Gb hard drive. It is good for watching your show too. I have the screen by my computer down stairs. I can see if the show works if i have problems.

I bought the same system as well but in 8 cameras. Didn't have any problems and the good thing is that you can set your smartphone to show you live video of your display. I had a camera pointed at the donation box just in case.

I have a light fence around the display, and that didn't stop them. I don't think the floodlights would stop them either. The dogs barking didn't. I checked with the security company that has my security system on my house and they are getting me a price for installing cameras outside and running them to a DVR. I'll update once I find out from them.

• 7 months later...

The video cameras that the security company installed have already paid off. We had a teenager come through and tear down all the mailboxes on the street. One of my neighbors woke me up after it happened and said they had called the police. I checked the DVR and caught him tearing mine down. I called the police back and told them I had him on camera, and the dispatcher said they had already caught him around the corner and would send an officer over to look at the video. It ID'd the teenager and it was the one they caught.

Good for you.

This summer I upgraded one of my cameras. It is a PTZ camera that can see in the night for up to 250 feet! It was cheap but sure works well. I can program it to do a certain path so this year, the whole yard down to the inches, will be scrutinized/protected.

Good for you.

This summer I upgraded one of my cameras. It is a PTZ camera that can see in the night for up to 250 feet! It was cheap but sure works well. I can program it to do a certain path so this year, the whole yard down to the inches, will be scrutinized/protected.

Can you post the brand and where you got it from I've been looking to add one to my camera system. Thanks...

Tony

It's a Zmodo camera. I got it for almost half the price the manufacturer sells them for. Go figure. Very easy to setup. I can zoom in the daytime on my front neighbors car and read the serial number of his car license. At night, the IR lighting makes it look white. Oh and that's at over 250 feet...

http://www.provantage.com/zmodo-cm-z2213gy~9ZMOD061.htm