Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Christmasjunkie

So, What Is Your Show Plan For 2012?

I'm adding dominoes! AKA 1/2 pinwheels. I'll put them on my roof, between my firesticks, under my arches... total of 85 channels. Glad I have the lights and material already. Also adding candles to the upper roof outline. I'll be pushing 400 channels for 2012.

Design and construction have been assigned to my mother who has an endless amount of time to wrap and prepare display elements. The challenge is the $$$. Being F/T college student, I don't make the salary I used to. So I depend on those who donate and recycle broken or non-working light strings to use as extension cords for the 100 channels I'll be adding this year.

Sequencing will take up any free time between studying for classes. Also, there is a re-design planed for 2012. New window frames to hold the 6 channel lights for around the windows and lower gutters. Hoping I can really streem-line the set-up for next year, maybe drop a few days off of it. Winter time is ALWAYS good for planning.

Among other things, I plan on fabricating around fifty wireframe doves in flight. Using four different wing positions, the doves will be added to the grand finale of my show. At the ending of Christmas Eve Sarajevo, a shooting star starting at 2' tall and increasing in size to 5' tall at impact, descends and crashes into the center of the display. That sets off 500 strobe lights as well as a 7 foot tall blue led ropelight peace sign I fabricated for this year. At that point my plan is to have the doves fly up and around the peace sign as all fades to darkness. I think it will be a really cool ending.

Bill

Thanks for your contribution to my thread. Since you are now a 'tv personality' I'm flattered that you answered my question.

This is amazing. I have watched your episode of the Invasion of the Christmas Lights and have some idea of how huge your display is already. In fact, I have the show recorded and watched it this week. This will be a spectacular ending. What an undertaking. I don't have the $ or the skills to do such a thing but I really look forward to seeing the video's of this in 2012

Converting some lights to LED's, going from 32 channels to 64 or more. Already started reprogramming some songs I wasn't happy with from this past year, and adding a spiral mega tree. Can't seem to get them out of my mind

Among other things, I plan on fabricating around fifty wireframe doves in flight. Using four different wing positions, the doves will be added to the grand finale of my show. At the ending of Christmas Eve Sarajevo, a shooting star starting at 2' tall and increasing in size to 5' tall at impact, descends and crashes into the center of the display. That sets off 500 strobe lights as well as a 7 foot tall blue led ropelight peace sign I fabricated for this year. At that point my plan is to have the doves fly up and around the peace sign as all fades to darkness. I think it will be a really cool ending.

For anyone but you, that would sound overly ambitious. But, since it is you, we'll all be looking forward to seeing the videos. If you're on TLC again, I'd like to come out for the taping, that would be a blast. For me, I am planning on adding a virual Santa and some dripping tubes in trees -- neither of which is turning out to be as simple as I first thought.

I plan on covering the entire front of my house with a coroplast facade to make it look like a whoville house. I'll keep the coroplast white and the trim elements pastel and light the entire house with rgb floods. I want to poke twinkling lights through the coroplast so I can make the entire house twinkle. Also, I plan on putting five arches on my roof. Yard elements will bemodified tobemore whovillish (new word). Mega/spiral treewill be converted to LEDs. Allnew sequencing for the house facade. Orher than that, everything will be pretty much the same. Lol.

As the season winds down I find myself thinking of what to do/change/add for 2012. Interestingly enough I have had a lack of interest and motivation for the last two years and so much has stayed the same (except that I got my gazebo up and it stayed up! Yeah!). Now I find myself actually considering some things for next year...

1. I want to do something different with the brick. On one hand that would be cool, but on the other hand my lighted three-color brick wall is sort of a trademark of our display so I'm not sure what I want to do to change it and yet keep it the same. That would make no sense to anyone but this crazy group so you probably get what I'm saying.
  2. There's some new songs I want to add, some of which I planned for this year and then decided I was too lazy. That might be a good thing since I'm considering the physical changes. 63 song changes will already suck more than I want to consider right now. I might also take some out of the show just to keep things fresh.
  3. I'm thinking of more "Santa's Wonderland" theme and moving from my sleigh to an actual "set" where kiddos can come up and see Santa on a more traditional throne. We'll see how that one works out.
  4. I'm finally going to rebuild my arches (this is a "for sure" item). My arches have long been a crowd pleaser, as kiddos run up and down trying to catch the chasing lights. I can't get rid of that effect but I'm going to see if I can change it up a bit which sort of leads to the next piece...
  5. I had a lot of kiddos ducking under the red light string between North Poles this year. They also went under the bottom candy cane support of the arches and before you know it we have a little Christmas monster stomping through a mile of wet extension cords and crushing Lawn Lights like Godzilla on a 3 day bender. I'm going to make a pvc candy cane "fence" for the bottom of the arches and between the North Poles. This will actually be pretty easy, just time consuming to build it all (have to find a good place to get a bunch of PCV cheaper than Home Depot since I'll need A LOT).
I'll likely do some Santa upgrades and I'm taking a makeup and effects class during the spring (which I might be able to share some of during the Academy if there's interest in applying beards, wigs, make up, etc). All-in-all I'm pretty excited to actually do some Christmas-y things during the year. I'm going to set aside January to May as build months, May through June for Academy critical items (which I will have) and pyro show prep (June 18th to July 3rd for actual fusing and set up), and then July through September (hot months) for sequence changes/additions.

That's enough and it covers everything!

Going to add some animatronics and motion to the display for the coming year.

I finally got my Santa sleigh with 9 reindeer put together with a controller mounted under the sleigh to control all the lights (using all 16 channels for it). I have the word out to find 2 - 30 to 40 foot radio towers to let me fly the sleigh across the property.

I'm working on using some old C band 10 foot dishes with actuators to make some props and sets for scenes as well.

Have to build a couple more arches and a bunch of small lighting props to fill in things.

And of course there is always the sequence, sequence, sequence to fill in those nights when you just don't have anything else to do!

Bill

Want to build a Candy Cane Arch.

Got 800 white lights, some candy cane rope light, and 8 sets of lighted candy canes.

Thinking that this will take 16 channels.

So, another board will have to be added.

Plan is to make not only the lights but the candy canes jump too.

i'm going from 32 to 96 channels, hoping to upgrade my megatree. The roofline will changed from LED multi to RBWmulti on four channels. Also hopefully making 16- 2ft mini trees . and obviously new songs, i'm hoping it goes all according to plan, i have a very busy summer so i'm hoping i can motivating to not only myself but maybe some elves around to wrap some lights.

-chris

Since I've been dark the past couple of years, my simple goal is to have a show for 2012. Beyond that, I'll start the switchover from traditional incandescent to RGB lighting. Much more work in sequencing plus I have a ton of stuff to build. Several items from Holiday Coro to get the RGB started, 1,500 pixels from Ray Wu, build mini trees, candy canes, a new 'tune to' sign, create a new Z-tree, 4 arches, build a few DMX controllers, and rebuilding items from previous displays that have gotten quite shabby from being up in the attic for the past 2 summers. I might have bitten off more than I can chew, but what the heck ... it keeps me out of nudie bars. :unsure:

Since I've been dark the past couple of years, my simple goal is to have a show for 2012. Beyond that, I'll start the switchover from traditional incandescent to RGB lighting. Much more work in sequencing plus I have a ton of stuff to build. Several items from Holiday Coro to get the RGB started, 1,500 pixels from Ray Wu, build mini trees, candy canes, a new 'tune to' sign, create a new Z-tree, 4 arches, build a few DMX controllers, and rebuilding items from previous displays that have gotten quite shabby from being up in the attic for the past 2 summers. I might have bitten off more than I can chew, but what the heck ... it keeps me out of nudie bars. :unsure:

Welcome back! Your plans are ambitious -- just keep it fun. Anything is better than dark.

TLC wanted to put a choir in display while filming so we did it and it was beautiful...so this year we are scheduling different church choirs this year for the display....can't wait to see it happen. When the choir hit the first note people just filed in the walkways round the choir..

January-Order $1000.00 of new lights. February- Review C.C. bill and wonder why I ordered $1000.00 of new lights. March- Try to figure out what to do with $1000.00 of new lights. April- Finish figuring out what to do with $1000.00 of new lights. May thru June- Wish I would have bought more lights. July- receive $1000.00 of new lights. August thru September- Wish I would have bought more lights. October- start installing $1000.00 of new lights. November- Finish installing $1000.00 of new lights. December- Thank God I didn't buy additional lights . January- Repeat!

January-Order $1000.00 of new lights. February- Review C.C. bill and wonder why I ordered $1000.00 of new lights. March- Try to figure out what to do with $1000.00 of new lights. April- Finish figuring out what to do with $1000.00 of new lights. May thru June- Wish I would have bought more lights. July- receive $1000.00 of new lights. August thru September- Wish I would have bought more lights. October- start installing $1000.00 of new lights. November- Finish installing $1000.00 of new lights. December- Thank God I didn't buy additional lights . January- Repeat!

Times 3......

except for purchases and keeping up with PC, I am taking January off. My first year LOR kicked my butt. In Feb. I will begin my lay out for next year, start listening to Christmas music again to figure out what sequences I want to add. I plan on beefing up my megatree, including re-doing my topper and adding strobes. I will add some more minitrees and figure out a better layout for my yard. I also plan on adressing my tune to sign, adding voiceovers by the demented elf, and I have a couple of holiday coro items on my mind. I hope to get this years video up in the next couple of weeks but like i said I'm trying to take January off. At least a couple of days. maybe.

Guest Scot Meyers

this will be the 2nd most ambitous year EVER!!

1st I will be finishing up the caboose for the train. converting from wood to coroplast to make it lighter

2nd I will be hacking my gemmy snowman and will be contolling him with LOR

3rd will be the ICE SKATING POND!! Finally dusting off the plans and going for it.

4th will be the 2 gemmy buck deer head conversion into a reindeer barn conrolled by LOR

5th Will be helping my kids build presents that will have toy story characters poping up from it.

6th will be to find a 12vdc remote control car and use the remote transmitter and reciever to control the start and stop of the train thru LOR

7th will be to convert the santa scene so it can be controlled by LOR

8th will be to finish up my Animatronic Jiminy Cricket so i can have a narrator for the show

9th will be to add more disney holiday voiceovers and music

10th will be to begin planning the conversion of the blowmold nativity (that is beginning to show wear) to new animatronic figures . to be intorduced in 2014

I know pretty ambitous huh?

We already have our list of new additions ready...

1.) Working on getting the drawings done for some large custom wire frame scenes we are going to get made for the display.

2.) Adding another mascot costume to join Santa and Frosty...People really like the characters we had some long lines this year just to take pics etc.

3.) Adding another mega tree this time with muti colored minis.

4.) Have a list of around 30 new airblowns we want to add...

5.) Another 10 mini trees to the light show plus a new light show narrator elf wireframe...

Have a few other things...We take the month of January off but will start building some of the new additions towards teh begining of Spring...early March...

That made me smile. Thanks!! :)

I am not changing that much.

I am only going to double my channels and double my light count.

And buy a pack of double mint gum.

I think you'll need more than one pack of gum. And maybe a lobster dinner for the Mrs. Just Sayin' :P

Took a year off. Planning on completely changing the display this year. The creative juices are flowing. We will see what happens. I'm really excited about recreating my display.