ssrs direct to music

finnegan

hi all -

i stumbled upon this years ago -if you take a standard ssr with 3-5 vdc input and hook it up like a speaker to a stereo -it will pulse the ssr to the music- because there is also dc voltage hidden in an amplified music signal . i use a left and right channel on my displays along with turning channels on and off -makes the whole show really come to life.....

i just finished a small display down at my camp for christmas in july and will try to shoot some video sat and will post soon-i really think this will change the way people light their yards because of the cool effect -especially when its run in stereo with 2 ssr's running and the difference in music on the left and right channels-i started using this on my tree in my house in the late 80's and also for house parties,everyone has ssr's that that can be used for this purpose-one of my favorite setups is to break the hots on two powerstrips and add an ssr to each one and make one left and one right-i use a seperate 25watt amp to drive this and no speakers hooked up,to adjust the intensity of the lights i turn up the volume or adjust the bass and treble to suit what i need-then i tap power from left and rights to my 8ch boxes....

circus4u wrote:

A question from an electronically challenged individual. I know what an SCR is, but what is an SSR?

If you know what an SCR is then you might be interested to know that a Solid State Relay is composed of an optocoupler, a triac, and afew (3 usually)resistors.

TED

Am I missing something here? Your talking about a color organ, right? Color organ technology was back in dinosaur days. Maybe I don't understand what you are doing. If whatever it is is real cool, I would like to see it too. LOR?, now thats cool.

• 1 month later...

yeah i thought this would interest some of you what i do is find heavy duty ssrs and then hook right and left audio in,to give me a right and left channel and the use that power to drive off an olsen 595 -so instead of using just straight ac i use this color organ effect on some of my channels and it is amazing to watch its like the lights have a life of their own.....

p.s. that was a christmas in july contest that i took 2nd place at our campground

Actually a TRUE color organ will have multiple channels (for each stereo channel) usually broken down by the frequency (bass, mid bass, midrange, treble).

Which is where the term color "organ" came from!:)

They did this with multiple filter sections which would drive seperate output devices for each channel. they also used output devices that were capable of actually fading or dimming so they could get levels in between "on" and "off" (not so blinky) with the amplitude of the incoming signal. they usually had sensitivity adjustment knobs for each channel to balance things out.

Each channel could be used to drive a different color (i.e. blue for bass, green for mid bass, red for midrange etc.)

The effect of a true color organ is very mesmerizing..almost like music for your eyes!

My father built one that was used by a local radio station to drive different color large colored bulbs on an enormous pine tree at a local car dealership back in the late 60's.

The tree was a local landmark for a couple of years..people would park and tune their radio to the sponsoring radio station and watch the lights. (sound familiar?):)

We talked about it recently and he said it had huge output capacity (like in the killowatts per channel):shock:

Maybe it is his fault that I am now a syncronizing CLF!! :laughing:

jeff wrote:

Am I missing something here? Your talking about a color organ, right? Color organ technology was back in dinosaur days. Maybe I don't understand what you are doing. If whatever it is is real cool, I would like to see it too. LOR?, now thats cool.

I think what got misplaced was your manners when you wrote that post. No need to insult the guy. Not everyone has an abundance of extra finances to spend on LOR. What Finn was sharing was a way to add some synchronization with nothing more than a $5 relay. That is of interest to many people.

TED

There's nothing wrong with trying to do something to set your display apart from your neighbor's display. That's what we're here for .. we want to have the best display on the block.

SSRs directly driving lights by music input sounds like a great idea. A color organ arrangement sounds, great, too.

I remember making a color organ way back in the dim dark days of my USAF basic electronics training. Don't think I could do it now, but at the time it was a very simple idea.

If I could find my yellow bell bottom pants, grow long hair to my shoulder, and have a color organ while listening to BTO Overdrive, I'd be happy.

CUTTHEMUSIC wrote:

Could you use a passive crossover to seperate the freqencies and then feed the bass to one ssr, the mids to another and the highs to another???

An active crossover is actually a little easier to work with (and more compact!)

One thing that becomes a must have when you break your channels up by frequency is the ability to adjust the gain of each independently to get a satisfactory display.

Treble for instance has a very small amplitude, whereas Bass has a very large amplitude. The active crossover makes it very easy to boost or cut these amplitudes so you can trigger your output devices somewhat evenly.

(So the bass isn't "ON" all the time,while the treble never comes on)

It also gives you another layer of isolation from the high voltage.;)

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread finnegan!

Your approach is just the ticket for someone who wants to "keep it simple"

Also if you want a simpler way to run 3 individual color channels via freq. I stumbled across a light organ kit from ramsey electronics for about 35.00.

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=ML1C

It controlls lows mids and highs and runs upto 300 watts per channel. "That may be able to be beefed up however."

Also each channel is individually controllable "sensitivity".

Enjoy!

Just thought I would post this for those that might be interested.

It is essentially a very configurable PC based color organ software that uses hardware that you build..including (yep you guessed it!) an SSR version!

I actually played with this software last year, and got everything built to do an 8 channel version that would have been my display last year. Money was a little tight at the time and I had most of the hardware on hand..the software was free..so i was going to go for it!

Things fell into place at the last minute and I managed to get into LOR and picked up a few D-light boards which I built in record time, and with the help of a few PC members I had some sequences to get my first show started (Thank you ALL by the way! ;)) last year!

The rest is history......:happytree:

Anyways...

Check it out..it looks like there may be a new version...sometime! LOL!

www.discolitez.com