Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
DSE

The Best Moment Of The 2011 Display

Ok here we go

You know how it is you are checking your computer - power on - show directer running - sequences qued up - night time coming

Night has fallen everything starts up the music is just right (little chilly outside but nice for Montana) I wonder out to make sure all is good

Man looking real fine, so I lean up against the old ash tree on the front drive way and stand back and enjoy

whats this a pick up pulling slowly up and parking mere feet from me to my back

My is this cool or what some one pulling up to enjoy my work

I let the song play out ( I think it was Carol of the Bells) wow cool looks great if I do say so myself

Being all happy and Joyfull I turn to the pick up and I can see the gentaman hanging his arm out eyes wide open taking in the glory

I so proudly say Merry Christmas and wouldnt you know it the guys screams like a girl, his wife screams the kids scream

and I am standing there with my mouth open looking at them.

Finally the guy asks "is this your place" thought for a secound and said yes. By this time my eyes are watering from holding back a good laugh

and I had to hurry back to the house and let my wife know.

Still get a checkle when I think about it and the family came back with other couples several times but did not catch them off gaurd again.

What was your defining moment of 2011

Dennis

LOL - great story! I guess for my family it was our charity event - "Christmas in the Sky". To see the hundreds of people making donations in support of our local City Mission was quite humbling this year. I thank God for giving me the opportunity to help.

So my display is for a little local girl Bella has Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OI) for short type 3 aka brittle bone disease. She gets infusions every 8 weeks at Lebonheur for a Bisphosphanate called Pamidronate aka (Pam) for short. This helps strengthen her bones. She is 21 months old, weighs 12 pounds - 23 inches tall. She is precious & if you have had the pleasure of meeting her, you would see the JOY she has for life! This year in Dec she under went her rodding surgery in both of her legs . As she was away in Omaha Neb. we had some very inserting people come out and see the show we did for her everything form a RV full to a limo . But my wife started asking people if they would like to have a pic taken or a video to send to her . We had several people do it as the night went on and as we told people her story we had a group of kids do some amazing things like giving their on Christmas money they had gotten to emptying their piggy banks .

Though I took donations, as people were offering them, I didn't officially announce it during the show this year. I have no donation box and I was worried about it's security while I was at work during the evening shifts. I did receive around $100 for the fire department in the 2 or 3 nights that people asked about it, nothing massive or huge, but humbling none the less.

I think my favorite moment was one guest in particular, a little girl who visited every night with her grandmother. They would come by at 6 and stay till 7. When Rudolph would play, the little girl got so excited and would put the window down. She'd stick her head and arms out the window and scream at the top of her lungs with excitement. It was the highlight of the night to see here face light up.

My second favorite memory had to be the older couple who immigrated from Italy back in the 40's. They saw the lights but didn't know the music was broadcasted on the radio. After asking how they enjoyed the they replied, " We Lov et! " in a hard Italian accent. Then I had to set their radio to the station. Once they heard the music, his wife screamed with joy. They visited so many times, always returning with different guests staying for hours at a time.

The first night we lit up, there was a big crowd. I was walking along the rope to make sure everything was working, and was adjusting a few spot lights. When I came back out a little boy of 4-5 years old came up to me and stuck out his hand. He wanted to shake mine and the said "thank you very much for doing this, can you make an alien spaceship for next year"... I tell you what the display was on for 10 minutes for the year and I couldn't wait to get going for next year.....

We also raised over $250 for the Griffin foundation, local children's cancer fund, which felt really good. And that was only for an hour a night for a week when santa was outside. We're looking into involving the foundation next year.

I posted this in a different thread but having read some of your posts, I decided to post it here as well.

This year was our first year to raise money for a charity. On December 13th, we had the donation box up and from that day until the 24th at night, my wife and I were outside handing out money to those who donated. We had candy canes for humans and doggy treats for the canine type.

I have too many stories but those that were dear to me are these two: One night, a man asked me if I was the mastermind behind this display. I laughed and said not the mastermind but merely the geek maybe. He wanted to shake my hand because I had mde his night if not his life. I laughed and asked why. He pointed to the back seat where I saw a 8 or 9 year old heavily autistic kid. The man told me he hadn't seen his son smile in over 6 years. His eyes watered up and mine as well. I said I was happy my lights could bring joy to him and his son.

The other involves 3 little girls of about 9-10 years old. They got out of their car which was in the line ups to see the display and asked me if they could walk under the flashing arches in the driveway. I said I didn't mind and even invited them to have a closer look to the lifesize nutcrackers my wife and I made. They were laughing and giggling and having oh so much fun. They made snow angels in the snow even though there was only 1 inch of snow on the ground. Then all of a sudden one of them got up and looked at the lights as it was playing Christmas don't be late. She said she wished her cousin was here to see this because she loves the Chipmunks and loves Christmas lights. I asked why she wasn't here. The girl answered she's 3 years old and has 3 cancers. It was as if my heart had been pulled out of my chest, stomped on it a few times and reinserted it back in its place half beating. I said that it why I made this display and collect money for Make A wish foundation.

I collected 13692.78$ in all. The reps from Make A wish are supposed to come pick up the check tomorrow. 2011 was for my wife and I , the absolute best Christmas joy and spirit that we brought to us as well as those who came to see it.

We had a few good ones, but nothing like the ones you guys are talking about... there were a few occasions where the neighbors would all get together and drink hot cocoa and other assorted beverages. We watched the show for almost two hours. It was our first year, and it seemed like whenever people saw anyone enter the driveway or come out of the house, they would speed off, there were times where four cars would leave at the same time because we just got home.

very odd.

also someone donated two easter blowmolds, so that was quite the surprise.

i love hearing these stories, can't wait for 2012.

-chris

I have no stories like the ones above, but in the week that it took my son (26) his friend, myself and a couple of neighbors to put up we kept seeing this one van come around, finally they stoped and I asked what was going on, I was told that the kids were wondering when the lights were coming on, told them when we started the shows and saw that van many a time,

Found out thought the 3 years that this is as much for the comunity as it is for me.

Keep Christ in Christmas always