Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
sw

Diy Rgb String Ideas?

I'm looking at what it would take to convert my mega-tree to LED lights, maybe one color at a time (due to expense of LED lights). And I was wondering if there are any RGB strings available which are wired up with all the red, green, and blue elements connected together to the controller, so the controller could turn the string on in any color by manipulating those color circuits.

Given that, I'd probably just cut the controller out and put each color into my own controller and have a single string replacing what is now four separate single color strings on my tree.

However, I'm not sure if such a string exists. I've seen multi-color LED sets but the only true RGB ones I've seen are set up with a whole microcontroller in each LED with a data line running through the string to command them. Pretty neat, but not quite what I'm looking for.

Has anyone else worked out a way to get a string of RGB lights which could be plugged in (electrically) as if they were three power loads to one of our usual controllers?

I was even thinking of a way to get a bulk shipment of RGB LEDs and build my own strings, but I don't think I'm going to get the LEDs anywhere near as inexpensively as the light string manufacturers, let alone the effort that would take.

Ray Wu (China) sells these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-431022423/DC12V-input-12mm-through-hole-LED-channel-letter-100pcs-a-string.html

They are 12V RGB LEDs that can be driven from 3 channels of a DC controller. You can mix your own colour, but all LEDs in that string will be the same colour.

That looks promising. It's not clear from the description on the site, though, are these in a string or individual pieces that need to be assembled into a string? If they're on a string, I'm curious what the spacing is and how visible they'd be when strung up in a mega-tree (brightness, viewing angle, would all LEDs face the same way or be spread out around the wire like mini-light strings are)?

Any experiences using these in Christmas lighting would be great to hear about, thanks!

They are a pre-assembled string. They are usually 50 LEDs to a string, despite being 100 for sale. You'd probably get two 50 LED strings if you ordered 100 LEDs.

You would have to enquire about the spacing as it's usually about 80mm (3") but can vary.

I send a couple of emails to Ray a few days ago, and so far haven't heard anything from him. Not sure if that's typical or if something's wrong, but I guess I'll keep checking out more alternatives.

It is the beginning of the Chinese Holiday & you may have problems getting any kind of replies until around 1/31/12. I know I ordered somethings & they stated that shipping would be delayed till the end of the month.

Mike

Can you cut them at any length or do they have to be used in a set of 50 Thanks

You can cut them down or join them. Not sure how many you can join together before voltage drop in the wire becomes an issue though.

I am building some controllers and getting some strings from Ray Wu based on the Smart String controller over at DIYlightanimation.com

Fun stuff!!!

Mike.

Oh, right, I forgot about the holidays there. Also, I got a message from their website saying the dumb strings are no longer available. Hopefully that's only temporary.

Somehow I missed the fact that these were dumb strings:( My bad.

I am also running dumb RGB flexstrips from Ray Wu and have them driven off of 3 channel DMX controllers as well as Lynx MR16 controllers. They look great! Nice and brght, and depending on whether 30 or 60 LED per meter strips you can cut them every 3 inches or less.

I will say that I am using the 30 LED/Meter strips and they are incredibly bright! I have also seen a few instances of people using the flexible strips instead of nodes to make a mega tree.

Good Luck.

Mike.

Edited by mmciver

I'm looking at the diyledexpress sale, looks like a good deal, but waffling back and forth between getting dumb strings or the pixel strings. I'm wondering what I could use to control the pixels with, but that's a compelling idea to start playing with those :)

The dumb strings (and strip) are cheaper of course, are simple to drive and may be all you want. If you already have a few spare DC channels you're set.

Once you go with intelligent strings (or strip), you need an SPI controller and a lot more control channels. You can probably reduce that down to 3 channels (RGB) in some software to make it easier to work with to start with though.

If you go to Smart String strips or nodes this controller will work, but MAX number of nodes or LED for this is 128. Now with that said every node needs 3 Ch. so 128x3=384CH needed. Now that is over 1/2 of a DMX universe which is 512. So now you need to get into a lot of other items to make them work & for me I have enough problems sequencing 304 normal Ch much less each individual light bulb. I am not saying it is not worth it it is but a lot of work, more then I want to do.

Mike

http://www.diylightanimation.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual_SSC (Controller Link)

I'm just getting into this LED thing myself and it's very confusing esp. when you talk about smart and dumb strings. I bought some dumb modules from holiday coro and am doing some testing with them right now. all my controllers are from RJ at diylightanimation.com so i'm trying to piece it altogether. I'm waiting for my smartstring stuff to come in to play with it more.

I'd love some smart string stuff but I'm NOT going to pay shipping that is twice the cost of the strings. I don't care how bad I want it. There has to be a cheaper way to do that one. That is in my opinion dumb. Money could be spent better eslewhere. Just can't believe no one in the U.S. isn't selling the same exact thing. Just another way we support china.

Just my opinion of course... But I am learning this new technology. These are some very bright lighting options though...

Dean