Illuminating Coro From The Back

I'm sure this has been discussed several times, but I can't seem to find anything. Me being a newbie to computer lighting and the forums I need some help. I have some stars made from Coro, 4 mil thick, and about 20" tall. I doubled up on the coro for sturdiness so they are 2 sheets thick.

Problem #1: I poked holes in the coro, pushed M6 pure white LEDs through. The star lights up nice and bright but the lights wash out the shape of the stars.

Problem #2: Say I split the 2 pieces apart with maybe spacers in between, and then put the lights on the back piece. Will that illuminate the star similar to using RGB? Is there a specific distance I'll need to space the 2 pieces?

I haven't gotten into (RGB) yet, and quite honostly, am intimidated by what I read on creating them. I would like to eventually, but I'm still building my show. I'm almost finished with pieces for 2012, but the stars are beginning to be my Achilles Heel.

Any help would always be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

That box knife with a hook is what I used! It works the best out of anything I tried, it's quick and makes for tight turns with very little error! I used the coro cutter for making my side pieces for the curves locations. Because in order to curve it you have to slice the slots on one side and the coro cutter is perfect for that!

Well done on the how to, too!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure this has been discussed several times, but I can't seem to find anything. Me being a newbie to computer lighting and the forums I need some help. I have some stars made from Coro, 4 mil thick, and about 20" tall. I doubled up on the coro for sturdiness so they are 2 sheets thick.

Problem #1: I poked holes in the coro, pushed M6 pure white LEDs through. The star lights up nice and bright but the lights wash out the shape of the stars.

Problem #2: Say I split the 2 pieces apart with maybe spacers in between, and then put the lights on the back piece. Will that illuminate the star similar to using RGB? Is there a specific distance I'll need to space the 2 pieces?

I haven't gotten into (RGB) yet, and quite honostly, am intimidated by what I read on creating them. I would like to eventually, but I'm still building my show. I'm almost finished with pieces for 2012, but the stars are beginning to be my Achilles Heel.

Any help would always be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

1 - White coro is a blessing and a curse. It's great where you want "spread" and diffusion of light but not so good when you want to control the light. This article "Black or White Coro - Which is best" may be useful for those working on projects. On the stars we sell, we found that a black base tended to be better and provide a more "defined" star with less wash out:

http://youtu.be/ozQs2ZYZ4ao

2- I'll be honest, unless someone has a big adversion to DMX (which is native in LOR now), going RGB seems like a completely logical path. It's just about the same price as putting in a string of LEDs and the price of a few LOR channels. We've got several different models of stars here:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/category-s/1882.htm