Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
TealFreakOrganizer-Kayla

Pregnant And Still Decorating?

Alright folks, I need some advice. I am pregnant and will deliver sometime in August. I REALLY love putting up lights (we did around 10,000 static in 2011) I fully understand that I will have a 3-4 month old around christmastime. Before we found out we were pregnant, we had planned several additions (10,000 more lights) for this coming year. Now my hubby doesn't want to do it. (But he's never really been as enthusiastic as me anyway) We were planning on beginning to decorate in October (I'm in TN, so good weather for this month usually)

What would y'all do? Any other members (mothers) have a newborn and still manage to decorate? I am a very determined and organized person. I'm also one of those people who thinks that your life and the things you enjoy doing don't have to stop completely just because you have a newborn. Life goes on, and you learn to rearrange your newly changed life.

Thanks everybody!

I'm not a mommy, but if I were in your husband place I might say this: Do what YOU are 1. physically capable of doing. 2. enjoy what you put up. Putting it all up is one thing, but taking down (in my case 50,000 lights) the lights takes time as well. I would plan on something that is not so agressive. Afterall, it will be the baby's first Christmas. There will always be more.

I would say, wait until you give birth and see how you feel then. If it is really important to you then, your husband should help/do it for you. You are about to receive one of the Lords greatest blessings that will change your life dramatically so your hands will be full. If you still feel strongly about doing it after you give birth and your husband won't do it, then maybe a friend or two will come over and help you get it done quickly. You can also consider having a landscaper or lighting service put up the lights for you if it's not going to be a financial burden on you. Or maybe someone from this site who is from TN, might help you? I'm not sure I remember what I did with the picture but one of my favorites is of my daughter when she was 4 months old perched up on a pillow in my wire frame sled in the middle of my living room with the lights of the sled on. Good luck to you and yours and with the little blessing our Lord is about to give to you.

"I'm also one of those people who thinks that your life and the things you enjoy doing don't have to stop completely just because you have a newborn. Life goes on, and you learn to rearrange your newly changed life."

Sounds like you already answered your own question. I say go for it. Maybe just not as big as you had planned.

Well I'm also not a mom, But as a dad i say if your able to pace yourself now getting little things done before Due day and think of ways to make set up easier. then if you still feel like you want to get them up this year you'll be making it easier on yourself and him. if you decide your not going to put it all up this year then your ahead for next year.

First off Congrats on the new bun and I hope all goes well for you.... :D

As said above you did answer your own question life still moves foward and you will have some new challenges but nothing that you more than likely have not had to overcome this will just be a little bigger speed bumb...

You might try to inlist the help from freinds and neighbors. I have a neighbor that had always been checking our set up and display but did not put much out on his own till about 8 years ago i had been called to work out of state and my wife was faced with the set up. One of the week ends I was home he and his wife stopped just to say Hi and we explained how we would be cutting this years show way back and so on. The next week end when I arrived home low and behold all of our lights were out only thing I had to do was connect the power and now we help each other and 6 other people in our neighborhood.

My best wishes for you and your family

Happy Hanging

You are so lucky!

OK as a mom of 7 and grandma of 7 more, I am going to say, newborns are portable and they are only an excuse if you want one. (My youngest attended 5 basketball games in his second week of life.)

Yes I know that there are exceptions for illness or other instances of life happening, but if children learn early to go, they will just think going is a normal part of life not an exception.

Babies love to be outside in a front or back back.

I say plan ahead, you may need to scale back, or do things a little different this year, but that brings out the creativity. When your baby comes work at your display a little bit at a time, and ask for help. I am sure that family, neighbors or friends would love to help, they just need asking, you never know they just might catch the bug too.

I agree with Deeny Dine...gosh when my boys were babies and little guys I got more lights up and all of my stuff out. My hubby never helped back then although he was happy inside entertaining a baby. Now I will grant you, although I never counted, I doubt that I had 10,000-20,000 lights up...the neighbors and community all thought I was nuts anyway!! I was decorating before decorating was cool LOL

I imagine, all things being equal, you will get your lights up and have THE MOST WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS OF YOUR LIFE...babies are such a blessing!Congratulations and Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy that baby!!!!

If you are one of the lucky few that gets a baby that sleeps all night, then go fo it.

However countless sleepless nights may change your desires for a large display. :P

"I'm also one of those people who thinks that your life and the things you enjoy doing don't have to stop completely just because you have a newborn. Life goes on, and you learn to rearrange your newly changed life."

Sounds like you already answered your own question. I say go for it. Maybe just not as big as you had planned.

I think this sounds like a plan. I would wait and see how you feel once you actually have the little one underfoot, and then maybe make a plan for a smaller display? Unless you and your DH feel up to the task!

"I am pregnant and will deliver sometime in August."

Any small packages delivered to your house yet?

I was wondering the same thing. Not a momma either but I can tell you that we had twins delivered in July of 03 and they were preemies and they stayed 55 days in the hospital which made it the first part of September or so when they got out of the hospital and me and my wife still put on a display at our church. We were told we would have plenty of help but as always it ended up just being me and her there for many, many, many hours. As someone said above kids can be a excuse for anything. If you planned on adding things and everything is good to go with baby and you just go for it!

I wonder what you energy levels will be like with a new born, many people under estimate the changes and work involved in raising a new born. You will only know yourself when the time comes to action your plan and if you have the energy levels/focus to get it done.

Maybe it's just the women in my life, but I am amazed at the energy levels that a mother has. Life does change with a newborn but for some reason most seem to get a charge from it.

I had my daughter August 15. She is a pretty good baby so far. I have the best mother in the world because she helps out enormously with caring for her while I am at work. This will also let hubby and I put up the lights while she watches the baby. We also have friends who would like to babysit or help with the lights, so I'm thinking we can do it. I scaled back from my original idea- no arches over the driveway this year :( but we will begin putting up lights this weekend! Can't wait and so far baby loves looking at lights, just like her mama!

I'm a Mommy of 5 from 7years-1year so tons of little ones and currently expecting. My hubby is a Drill Sgt who works 18-20 hr days 7 day a week. I personally still do one of the largest Christmas displays here on post. It's important to me so I do what I can when I can during naptime and bedtime for the kiddos. If it's important go for it!!! 3-4 months you should be healed up and baby could possibly tolerate short periods in a swing or bouncy so you can get bits done here and there. ( Or if possible just tell your hubby what you need done!) Good luck!!