My First Spiral Ropelight Tree

Hello everybody,

I saw on some video's here that a lot of people are using spiral ropelight tree's in their display. I really liked them and started looking for some on internet and ebay. But the sheepest i found are 100$ or more for a 5 ft tree.

So i started to look at close up to some of the tree's and tryed to make one of my own.... and it worked :) .... at least my wife and i like them :)

The ropelight i still had from my previous static display. The ground base wheel is made of a wheel from an old bycicle and also the cables i've cut off the brakes from the same bycicle i found on the junkyard and they let me have it for free :) The rest costed me about 25$. I still have to make the star that goes on top. I was thinking of making it in wood and drill holes at the side to put the minilight tru?

Here's the picture, let me know what you think of it ;)

Forgot to mention, this became a 6 ft tree ;)

28032012128.jpg

Edited by speedyken

Hi superman,

I've used two table feets, on at the base and one on the top. Between them i used an iron tube that is normally used to hang curtains on. I connected the tube to the table feets with a small piece that is normally used to connect wheels to the table feet. The iron tube just fitted around the other side of this piece.

Tablefeet is like the picture below. I turned it upside down on the base.

p_1758851_1.jpg

Edited by speedyken

Thanks a lot for the very cool reply's Darlene and BEC. I've got 2 ropelights left that i normally couldn't use in my 2012 display so now i know what to do with them :)

You are right BaldEagleChristmas.... i WANT.... NEED TO... MUST build more of these ;)

All this madness just by watching one video a few months ago... i LOVE it!! :P

Hi Christmas_Nut.

The rope light is 9 meter, which is about 29,5 feet i think. If you want to also decorate the star with the ropelight you will need a longer rope.

Next week i'm working late shift so no time then for making a how to, but i promise to make one the week after that. I will also add some foto's on each step as also the materials i used.

Hi Christmas_Nut.

The rope light is 9 meter, which is about 29,5 feet i think. If you want to also decorate the star with the ropelight you will need a longer rope.

Next week i'm working late shift so no time then for making a how to, but i promise to make one the week after that. I will also add some foto's on each step as also the materials i used.

Cant wait for the how to. The tree looks store bought. Bravo

Edited by christmas_nut
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, finally got the DIY finished. I'm sorry it comes a little later then promised but this is the first time i make a DIY video (with pictures).

I hope it's clear enough but please feel free to ask me any questions if you have them. I've been helped here so many times before so it's the least i can do.

I really like the addition of the blue miniights, I think it gives it some POP........It looks like a mini spiral mega tree...........just think, if you could get the rope light to spin and had say six or so across the front yard........

May be some chasing rope light? (if there is such a thing)

Like your idea about the chasing rope light gmac. I know they exist but come with a controller box that makes them chase in different way. Don't think it's possible to combine these with LOR :(

Ken: I think you could use LOR on the chasing rope lights on your trees, you wouldn't be able to to do fades and twinkles etc. but if I understand you correctly you said the chasing ones come with a controller and I would think you could do a full on and off to the trees with LOR. I have a holdman star on my roof that has it's own controller and thats how I use LOR for it.. That just might create a really cool effect ......Leave the blue minis on maybe all the time and cycle the rope lights to the song with LOR or put the blue ones on a LOR channel also. Just my 2 cents worth

Ken: I think you could use LOR on the chasing rope lights on your trees, you wouldn't be able to to do fades and twinkles etc. but if I understand you correctly you said the chasing ones come with a controller and I would think you could do a full on and off to the trees with LOR. I have a holdman star on my roof that has it's own controller and thats how I use LOR for it.. That just might create a really cool effect ......Leave the blue minis on maybe all the time and cycle the rope lights to the song with LOR or put the blue ones on a LOR channel also. Just my 2 cents worth

As I re read my post I wasn't very clear My thought was to let LOR supply 7 cut power to the rope light controller and let the rope light controller do its thing

Very cool Speedyken. I just saw this thread for the first time today. A few years back I built some spiral trees because a, I couldn't justify purchasing overpriced trees and b, I needed smaller ones. I took to upside down tomato cages and produced done 3.5' trees.

25.jpg

They used the same concept of ziptying to the vertical parts. Fortunately because they have a hollow inside, they stack nicely for storage.

How are you planning to store them, or do they break down easily?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S

Very cool Speedyken. I just saw this thread for the first time today. A few years back I built some spiral trees because a, I couldn't justify purchasing overpriced trees and b, I needed smaller ones. I took to upside down tomato cages and produced done 3.5' trees.

25.jpg

They used the same concept of ziptying to the vertical parts. Fortunately because they have a hollow inside, they stack nicely for storage.

How are you planning to store them, or do they break down easily?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S

Nice trees. I bought some rope light at garage sales this week that I plan to try this way. I might also use them on some of my wire frames.

Hi Luke,

They store very easily in fact. All you have to do is unscrew the center pole between the two table feet as seen in the video and so they really don't use up any space at all. The ropelight can stay on the tree, but i have removed the minileds for storing. If you want i can upload a picture.

I also like the way you made your trees. Very easy and cheap. Nice going. But here in Belgium i couldn't find any tomato cagest (not even sure if they exist here) so i had to look for another way to build those trees...