Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Torqumada286

Webber Tree Channel Count

What is the minimum number of channels you need to make these trees work properly?

Torqumada

Most guys do 16, me I did 20 strings (Cuz I like to cause extra problems for my self also thats 1 channel per spiral string Edited by gmac

I think it would depend on the height of the tree and the revolutions of each string. I had also planned for 16 strings on my 12ft mega for last year. Since this was my first attempt at winding the strings at almost 2x around, I only was able to use 12 strings. They all were equally spaced and didn't look too shabby (if I say so myself)

I think it would depend on the height of the tree and the revolutions of each string. I had also planned for 16 strings on my 12ft mega for last year. Since this was my first attempt at winding the strings at almost 2x around, I only was able to use 12 strings. They all were equally spaced and didn't look too shabby (if I say so myself)

Dave; Have any videos I would love to see it Edited by gmac

You might also want to see Earle talleys spiral trees here on PC IMO he's the king of spirals

videos from 2011 are still on the camera (does that surprise anybody??)

should have sometime this weekend to edit

Ours was 12 channels on an 11' tall tree, did 2 full revolutions with the strings. I thought it looked good. The top was very full, can't imagine finding space for more strings. The bottom was obviously more open, but still looked fine.

The trees on the left and right are 8' tall with a base 6' across, 16 strings of 50 cnt. c6 leds, 1 1/2 wraps per string and 16 channels. The center tree is 13' tall with a 10' base 16 strings of blue 70 cnt c6 leds wrapped 1 1/2 times one way and 16 strings of green 70 cnt c6 leds wrapped 1 /12 times the other way and 32 channels. All trees have a 3D star, the two small trees is only blue with 3 channels each, the center tree star is both blue and green with 6 channels. Also each tree has 16 steel cables with turnbuckles to keep them tight.

Earle

Does someone have a step-by-step video on how to build one of these trees? I am wanting to add some new elements to my display this year and have a couple extra controllers. This might be just the ticket.

Larry

Does someone have a step-by-step video on how to build one of these trees? I am wanting to add some new elements to my display this year and have a couple extra controllers. This might be just the ticket.

Larry

here ya go.........

Larry: I don't have a video but I have a pic of my layout and I'll tell you what i did to mine. My tree is 12' tall 15' by

adding the star w/ 7'dia. base, Iused 1-10' & 1-2' 2" pvc pipe for the center pole and a pvc toilet flange & drilled holes

for the top w/ s-hooks to hook the lights & the 16 support wires to, 1" grey electrical pvc for the bottom ring, plastic

clothes line for my support strings ( No it did not sag), I drilled 16 holes in the grey base ring and used 2 1/2" open

eye hooks to attach the support lines to and for adjusting tension to the lines, 8pcs 1/2" rebar bent like the letter "J"

to hold down the base ring also the base ring was 4" off the ground, I used a 6" iron fence post (got at Home Depot) to

drive into the ground and I placed the 2"pvc center pole over the post.The support lines had a string of Red &Green

50ct M-6 LED's attached to them and I used 4 LOR channels for each color on the supports. I used 20 70ct white

LED's for the spirals (20 LOR channels) they were wrapped approx 1 1/2 times the tree my spacing was

approx 3 1/2" on most of the tree but it gets much closer at the top but don't be concerned about that it still looks

really good. Also by attaching red and green lights on the support lines it gives the spirals something the rest on, I

used a minimal amount of zip ties to keep the spirals in place andyou can get sort of a spiral mega tree look. BTW: the

light counts were for this height and dia. tree if you decied to go taller or shorter you will haveto adjust the light count. I

used the spiral tree calculator to get me close on the light count and adjusted from there. If you don't have one PM

me and I'll email you mine. Hope this helps.

What's the chance of getting the lights tied to the cable and being able to lower and pack. When setup time comes be able to raise the whole assembly and have it up without having to do a complete assembly. I love Mega Trees but they are by far the most work of our display. They also have the most effect which is nice.

Jeffl I saw one over on LOR that did just that, it looked like he had set the tree up on a pallet then raised it and after lower it on the pallet and put it away. My problem , I don't have the room to store a pallet so I must take it all apart each year, last year it took two people 5 1/2 hours for the big center tree, but less than one hour for the small trees.

Earle

Earle, all I can say is one word - Awesome!

Very nice job on the spiral trees as well as the other parts of your display and the sequencing for it all.

I too experimented with a spiral on my mega tree last year to see how it would work. I know I got a lot of compliments on it and it worked okay although I do need to refine it some.

I have an 18 foot tall mega tree that I use 96 strings of C5 - 60 count by 20 foot Neo Neon led strings on. I use 4 colors (red, green, white, blue) so that ends up as 24 strings of each color and using 48 channels to control them. I added on 16 strings of M5 - 70 count by 23 foot white led strings for a spiral to that with 16 channels for control on the spiral. That gave me a 1-1/2 wrap for each spiral.

I use a base ring similar to gmac to hold the strings too and just attached the spiral strings to it. It ended up with approx. 33 inches between each string on the base ring.

I am looking at adding another 16 strings of the M5's to the sprial and still use the 16 channels for control to give me a fuller look for the spiral. Of course then again I would love to do that as well as add another 32 strings of blue M5 leds with another 16 channels of control wrapped in the other direction for an added spin effect.

The only problem I had with them was that I just wrapped the spiral strings on top of the existing strings and did not run any cables or support wires for the spiral strings. It worked okay for the most part as the existing strings grabbed onto the spiral strings pretty well and held them in place but after a month the wind had let the spiral strings move around and they lost some of the spacing up on the tree approx. 2/3 of the way to the top and you could tell that they were off spacing by the time the first of the year came around. Not a real big deal though and not sure whether or not I really need to be concerned about it unless I increase the string count for the spirals a lot. Then I would want them to be more even and stay that way.

I really need to get my videos edited and posted on my site for last year soon, but you can see the mega tree there and how it fits my display.

Bill

gmac great video. the spiral tree looks real good, you need more of them.

Earle

Thanks, Earle.......But if you remember it was your guidence that got me there.............Also 1 is enough, that one took me about 9 hrs to put up, maybe this year being my 2nd attempt and knowing what I'm doing it may go faster.

Bill some how I missed your post yesterday, but sounds like you have it under control. I would like to see a video of your display. When I wrapped my sirings in different directions they kind of supported each other as well, but I still used wire ties on them and the cables.

Earle

gmac the second year and the second tree is always easier than the first. I'm just happy that I helped you build such a pretty tree.

Earle