To Do The Show Or Not

5onpeact

OK - I have to ask this question, but let me tell you what is going on first.

My mother in law wants to have Thanksgiving together as a family in the Carolina's renting a cabin. This would be for the entire Thanksgiving week and returning on the Saturday after.

The only problem with this is that I would have to have my entire display put up and ready to run the week prior to leaving for the trip. This allows for many things. 1 - kids in the area have been known to vandalize things. 2 - my display would be up and unatended to for a week with no one at my house.

So the question is this - would you take the risk to have your display up and no one around the house for a week?

Help me decide what to do please :huh:

Wait a sec... That is a Marine Corp emblem for your avatar. If you're a Marine, you should know how to build a perimeter, put the fear of God into those kids and keep them in line. :)

On a more serious note...

Talk to the neighbors. See if they will keep an eye on things. Look at finding a house sitter. Put up some extra flood lights.

I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

Edited by cacoulter

I put the lights on the house,bushes and trees during the month of November and then the day after Thanksgiving to 1st of December is when the big stuff goes out. Lights on 1st or 2nd December. So you could break things into two stages.

Earle

My vote is put the display up. Don't lose because you gave up in advance. Suggestions above about extra lights and getting the neighbors involved are good. Also, talk to the Sheriff or your Police Dept., they may be glad to add some extra patrols. And finally, if you are really, really worried consider hiring the Boy Scouts. You make a donation, they treat as a Camporee, and we all get cool patches (that you purchase)! Our troop did this once for a County Fair and we didn't even get any money.

I had to leave my display unattended last year for eight days during the Christmas season. I left LOR up and running on my laptop so the show would still run. I gave all of my neighbors my phone number so if anything went wrong (many of my neighbors are retired and dont leave the house much). I used automatic timers on my lights inside so it looked like somone was in the house. I also had some fellow decorators drive by on occasion and walk through the display to make sure everything was ok.

The moral of the story, make good with your neighbors and put up the lights!

I agree with superman62. I leave my display unattended and running for at least a week every year. The neighbors and friends keep an eye on it for me. The only problem I have ever had was weather related- several mini trees were vertically challenged for a few days after a storm. My only suggestion is to make sure you plan for power outages while you are gone. Either have someone who knows how to fire things up with access or have other plans to make sure your display keeps going. I use the DC-MP3 to run my show for this reason. Even if the power goes off everything fires back up once the power comes on and the show runs as it is supposed to.

You want to make your house look lived in anytime you leave it, not just Christmas. Get the lamp timers (or use a spare controller for "real" random light control) get someone to pick up the mail and papers, get the neighbors watching and let the police know.

My advise, fire that bad boy up and then go have a great family trip!

My display is usually up the 1st week of Nov because I vacation over Thanksgiving, coming back on the Sat. after to start the show. I haven't had a problem but then again, I never had any vandalism. Let the local PD know and ask if they will do a nightly drive by to see if anything is amiss. Neighbors are the best lookouts, especially if they enjoy the shows.

I might be more worried if your light didn't come on aat night. Sounds like a large sign that your not being home. if you have ran your display for a few years people would notice if you are dark and know your not home. i also agree with all the other points made. Friends and Neighbors. Also why let your Thanksgiving trip change your Christmas Traditions.