Literally A Santa Puzzle

I was just wondering if anyone knows who the manufacturer of this Santa was? I was given these pieces today. I understand originally there was half a Santa that sat in a sleigh. He is made up of a rubber or latex material, although not as thick as my Artistic pieces are. Any ideas? The pieces that are left are very fragile and brittle. I would love a picture of what he use to look like.

post-10059-0-88166100-1336788128_thumb.j

Diane, one possibility is Mold-Craft, I have a small poor qualtiy picture from their 1954 catalog that shows a hat similar to the one in your picture, but I do not know for sure if it is the same due to the quality of the picture that I have. You and I attended an estate sale last November that had a white Mold-Craft sleigh and possibly the Santa went with a sleigh like that one. In 1954 Mold-Craft was making their decorations in hard rubber, do the Santa pieces look like they could be hard rubber?

But then, I could be way off base with my guess....

Mel

I spoke with the owner again after I posted this, and she asked if I had happened to purchase the sleigh,she knew that we had purchased a lot of her vintage Christmas. I told her we had come home to check the maker of the sleigh on the internet, and when we returned to had been sold, but she did confirm there are also deer that she still has that goes to the set. Still thinking Mold-Craft? It could be hard rubber, because the pieces crack like an old piece of tire that has been left in the sun.

She did tell me that it is very old, and from her personal collection not stock from her antique store.

I would love to see the grainy picture, if you can find it.

Any one else have any ideas. Mel could you post a picture of your sleigh that is simular,

• 2 weeks later...

Diane,

Please forgive the delay in my reply, as you know, I have been having a health problem along with eye problems and I have not been on PC much lately. Here is the picture of the Mold-Craft sleigh that I sent to you and Cory back during that estate sale. The only difference that I could see between our sleigh and the one at the sale is that the one at the sale was white while ours is gold. We received this sleigh along with eight Mold-Craft reindeer in May 2010.

Mel

IMG_1947900.jpg

IMG_9842800-1.jpg

Edited by Mel Fischer