Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
ttcd

Scarecrow Blow Mold

Guest A.F.NUT

Yes they used to! I payed $80.00 for mine two years ago, but lately Union stuff has been selling very high, For that price I should sell mine, don't love it that much. hmmm

At halloween this past year they were going for around $75-$100

Edited by ttcd

Guest Mr. Griswold

Seems like people are mabye helping their auctions on ebay lately...I have heard a few rumors of 0 score members appearing and bidding the item up nice and high as they are friends of the seller or the seller themselves. The term for that is "Shill Bidding" I am not saying that this auction had that happening at all but there have been a few incidents I have witnessed this year with other sellers. This auction appears to have numerous bidders on it and seemed alot of people threw their hats in the ring to win it.

I myself sell on ebay not blow molds necessarily but all types of items and I usually like to start items low and roll the dice. After all thats the fun of an "auction" website.

Guest A.F.NUT

I know what you mean Mr Gris, and I suspect your right on this item, The bidder n***o is always involved in these high ending auctions. I have seen them bid many many things up, way more times than the 6 feedback score they have...

I know what you mean Mr Gris, and I suspect your right on this item, The bidder n***o is always involved in these high ending auctions. I have seen them bid many many things up, way more times than the 6 feedback score they have...

Yes I was thinking the same thing

Yes they used to! I payed $80.00 for mine two years ago, but lately Union stuff has been selling very high, For that price I should sell mine, don't love it that much. hmmm

Tom, what color is your scarecrow?

Mel

Did anyone notice that the listing states that the scarecrow is new unused, old stock? Also, how many of the $75 to $100 dollar range ones on eBay were the same colors as the one in the auction? Through the years I have not paid much attention to the colors of the ones on eBay and to my recollection, all that I have seen there had a black coat and orange pants, possibly the one in the auction is a rare color????

I do not know what years Union made the scarecrow in the colors that Frank had on eBay but I do have the Union Products 1993 and 1995 through 2000 Halloween catalogs and they all show him with the black coat and orange pants. The year 2000 was the last year that UP had him in their catalog, so apparently the ones in those colors were made prior to 1993.

As a sidenote, I watched that auction and would not have paid that much for it either but then if it is a rare color along with being new old stock I can understand why someone might be willing to do so.

Mel

Did anyone notice that the listing states that the scarecrow is new unused, old stock? Also, how many of the $75 to $100 dollar range ones on eBay were the same colors as the one in the auction? Through the years I have not paid much attention to the colors of the ones on eBay and to my recollection, all that I have seen there had a black coat and orange pants, possibly the one in the auction is a rare color????

I do not know what years Union made the scarecrow in the colors that Frank had on eBay but I do have the Union Products 1993 and 1995 through 2000 Halloween catalogs and they all show him with the black coat and orange pants. The year 2000 was the last year that UP had him in their catalog, so apparently the ones in those colors were made prior to 1993.

As a sidenote, I watched that auction and would not have paid that much for it either but then if it is a rare color along with being new old stock I can understand why someone might be willing to do so.

Mel

Around halloween there were a lot of scarecrows with the black coat and a few with this color coat.

Guest A.F.NUT

Tom, what color is your scarecrow?

Mel

Mel I have both versions, the molded orange plastic one with the black and this tan version. The tan one is not seen quite as often. I do wonder about this one being illuminated? I have a feeling the light was added to this at some point, because Union made this one as a lawn and garden ornament that did not illuminate.

The scarecrow was one of the first pieces I bid on Ebay for, of course I lost, but still a piece I would love to have. I am glad for the person who was able to get a piece they had wanted.

I would love to see pictures of the two or more different color versions.

Guest A.F.NUT

The scarecrow was one of the first pieces I bid on Ebay for, of course I lost, but still a piece I would love to have. I am glad for the person who was able to get a piece they had wanted.

I would love to see pictures of the two or more different color versions.

Deeny, here is the more common orange Halloween version.

Mel

Mel , that scarecrow had a printed date on the box flap that said 1986, since this was not a halloween piece but a lawn and garden piece it was probably in one of their lawn and garden catalogs and not in any of the halloween ones.

Oh and by the way The buyer absolutley loved it:) they got the box too.

Guest A.F.NUT

Thank you Deeny and Elaine! Would love to have you come by and visit!!!!

Mel , that scarecrow had a printed date on the box flap that said 1986, since this was not a halloween piece but a lawn and garden piece it was probably in one of their lawn and garden catalogs and not in any of the halloween ones.

Oh and by the way The buyer absolutley loved it:) they got the box too.

Frank, thank you for the info on the year, it is appreciated. Yes, I agree that it would have been in the UP lawn and garden catalogs, I will be getting copies of some of their lawn and garden catalogs over the next couple of months. I had the pleasure of receiving another 160 pages of UP Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and lawn & garden catalogs today from the University. One of the real treasures in this shipment is the 1957 lawn & garden catalog showing the original Don Featherstone pink flamingos, duck & three ducklings, toadstool and frog. They also had a 24" 3-D Elf bird bath that held approximately 2 gallons of water, my wife and I would love to find that one!!! You could also buy the elf separately.

Mel

Rather than repeating a previous post that I made about the copies please read message #19 in this thread.

Anyone can request and purchase their own copies from the Special Collections Library at Syracuse University.

Mel