OK I promised to post a few pictures of my new elf to go wth Santa and the Sliegh. Here is my first one, my prototype really. It needs a little more work. I will be adding a large tag "From: Santa" and a red bow on the baby doll. The elf is over 4 feet tall. I still need to test the waterproofing application after I apply the second coat. I also need to work on the hands a little. Any other feedack with sugeestions for improvement is welcome!

post-9723-0-22443000-1340050734_thumb.jp

post-9723-0-02836200-1340050756_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Great, I am thrilled just to start building some leapers and arches and you go and raise the bar! :) looks really nice, now I will have to consider adding to my project list, can think of some really nice ways to use this idea in the display. One question, is the elf built to handle outdoor weather?

Do you think the costume, etc.. can hold up to rain and snow?

I put on two coats of the heavy duty water repellant suited for camping gear. In Texas I have to worry about a bit of rain, no snow. I set the elf outside and ran the hose and sprayed it pretty darn good. The water repelled! The other option I came up with was to spray with Minwax polycrylic which is real heavy duty and made for wood projects but I don't know how well this will work with fabric. I have two pieces of the costume that I will test it on and see if it holds up. I will leave these elves out this season and see how they hold up. I am planning to do another application of the water repellant every year. Other folks have built small structures for their animated stuffed characters so that might be more appropriate in the northern region. As for my Santa I took him every night last year because I was afraid he would disappear if I left him out. A few times it drizzled during the day but I never waterproofed him.

• 5 months later...

I love this elf but Im on a fixed income i hate to ask about money but i looked up the suit its on sale for 19.99 so i know what thats gonna cost per elf but how much do you think you have in the rest of the build head wig etc and how did you build the bodies skeleton pvc? if so do you have a pic of it without the clothing on for a reference? please and tyvm for the info i think its wonderful