Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
speedyken

Star Made Of Snowfall Tubes

Hello fellow decorators,

I recently saw a video here on PC of somebody who made a star out of snowfall tubes. I liked this very much and thougt it would be nice adding a couple of them to my display so i started right a way. This time i also followed the advice of somebody in my previous posts (the bells made of led) and decorated the stars so they also look good during daytime ;)

These tubes are about 30 cm, which is about 1 ft if i am correct?

First i started with a peace of wood and drilled some holes so i can strap the tubes to the wood

01072012141.jpg

Than strapped the tubes to the wood to see how they look

01072012142.jpg

Than paint the peace of wood in silver, replaced the black zipties by white zipties and finished the decorating

17072012168.jpg

17072012169.jpg

And this is a little video of the stars, connector to 1 LOR channel. For sequencing i am using 30 blocks of 0.05 seconds timing so the stars will "open up" just 1 time.

That looks really cool... I like the effect! Nicely done!

Edited by jrbryant

Thanks for the nice reply's everybody :)

@ wildbill : THAT was the video that inspired me :) thank you very much, hope you won't mind me copying your idea ;)

I'm curious i dont use LOR or any pc for my lighting do you think this would look nice just using the sequence you get out of them when plugged in did you happen to plug them in just the way they are and did it look cool cuz i have a set of these and was looking for something to do with them and this looks cool

Hello fellow decorators,

I recently saw a video here on PC of somebody who made a star out of snowfall tubes. I liked this very much and thougt it would be nice adding a couple of them to my display so i started right a way. This time i also followed the advice of somebody in my previous posts (the bells made of led) and decorated the stars so they also look good during daytime ;)

These tubes are about 30 cm, which is about 1 ft if i am correct?

First i started with a peace of wood and drilled some holes so i can strap the tubes to the wood

01072012141.jpg

Than strapped the tubes to the wood to see how they look

01072012142.jpg

Than paint the peace of wood in silver, replaced the black zipties by white zipties and finished the decorating

17072012168.jpg

17072012169.jpg

And this is a little video of the stars, connector to 1 LOR channel. For sequencing i am using 30 blocks of 0.05 seconds timing so the stars will "open up" just 1 time.

How did you get them to go one direction only?

That is beautiful thank you for sharing by the way I laugh out loud at all the power outlet in the back ground that is very funny only a true nut would do that ha ha and I mean that as a complement!

i bought these last year did the samething they look good  but the wire will  not hold up to much movement from wind had to repair twice very thin wire other than that worked great 

Sorry for getting back here so late, kinda forgot this post.

For everybody who's copying it, i say go ahead, i also copyed it from a video i found and seems it's was from Wildbill :-)

I've payed about 15$ for 1 set of 8 tubes and 1 ft long. Shipping was free. I didn't expect much off them but they worked great the whole season here, and in december we only had 3 days WITHOUT rain :-)

That is beautiful thank you for sharing by the way I laugh out loud at all the power outlet in the back ground that is very funny only a true nut would do that ha ha and I mean that as a complement!

No offence taken LOL

Problem here in Europe is that all our christmas lights come with those huge adaptors so the power outlets our the only way to have enough connections as they don't come with end to end connectors. But got hold of some suppliers in china that can deliver me m5 and c6... i love these lights, easy plugging, end to end, no huge adaptors... :-)

I'm curious i dont use LOR or any pc for my lighting do you think this would look nice just using the sequence you get out of them when plugged in did you happen to plug them in just the way they are and did it look cool cuz i have a set of these and was looking for something to do with them and this looks cool

Without LOR controller after a while each tube start to go their own way, so the effect of the 8 tubes starting together will dissapear. With the lor controller i programmed 30 block of 0.05 seconds and that is just enough to let the tubes run exactly 1 time.

@ Jarnaez

These are regular snowfall tubes as you can find in the link steve marris posted here a few posts higher up.

They all go in the same direction (up -> down). I've put the top of each tube in the center on the board and that way you can let them all run out away from the center.

There are about 8436 other people doing the same thing. Hopefully he wont mind.

Here is a link to a good deal for those tubes. (not me)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290686730860?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Offcourse i won't mind at all. I came here for help and iinspiration or ideas, and would be honnored if i can help or pass an idea to any fellow decorator Steve :-)

I just recieved my tubes and I can see where water might get in where the wires enter the tube so all I did was squirt clear silicone where the wires enter........I don't know about the tubes that speedyken used but I timed the ones I have and the lighting pattern stays the same on all 8 for 10sec before changing to a random pattern which I think would be great for using as accents in our songs. 

Thanks again for showing us the idea

Edited by gmac

Amazing, So no special wiring? Sending an on signal to the tubes for say 1 second will create that effect?

YEP!!

I just recieved my tubes and I can see where water might get in where the wires enter the tube so all I did was squirt clear silicone where the wires enter........I don't know about the tubes that speedyken used but I timed the ones I have and the lighting pattern stays the same on all 8 for 10sec before changing to a random pattern which I think would be great for using as accents in our songs. 

Thanks again for showing us the idea

Same here Gene. About 8 to 10 seconds and then the pattern starts to go Random. Good thinking about covering the top of the tubes with sillicone. Indeed there is the possibillity of water getting in there. I've had that problem with the 1,5 Ft tubes that were in my tree last year.

Forgot to mention one VERY IMPORTANT THING!! Don't forget to add an extra string of lights or 1 C9 on the same channel. If not the tubes will still be working EVEN when the channel on the LOR goes out AND the transfo on the tubes will BURN OUT in less than 20 seconds!! Had 2 transfo's burned out before i found the solution for this problem!! VERY IMPORTANT!!

Edited by speedyken

Amazing, So no special wiring? Sending an on signal to the tubes for say 1 second will create that effect?

For the 1ft tubes i used 30 blocks of 0.05 seconds on the sequence page. That is exactly 1,5 seconds if i'm correct?

And NO special wiring needed, but please do not forget the extra string of lights or 1 C9 or the transfo will burn out.

For the 1ft tubes i used 30 blocks of 0.05 seconds on the sequence page. That is exactly 1,5 seconds if i'm correct?

And NO special wiring needed, but please do not forget the extra string of lights or 1 C9 or the transfo will burn out.

Thanks!!! And just to be perfectly clear, that would be a string of incandescent lights,or 1 incandescent C9?