Mr16 Wiring (I Have No Clue)

Hello,

I purchased 160 MR16 LED bulbs from Kevin (Wirekat) a few years back. I have yet to use them. This year I would like to put them to use instead of letting them gather dust. The problem is that I am completely unfamiliar with how to wire the lights using the DC board I bought from LOR. I figured out how to use a PC power supply to power the board thanks to help from all of you, but now I need help with wiring the lights. I've never wired anything using DC.

Here is a hypothetical situation (assume the power requirements are within the proper limits):

Let's say that I want to have 5 red LED lights in one area of my yard and 5 red LED lights in a second area that is not close to the first area, but both areas are of equal distance from the DC controller. As such, I want each area to be wired from the location of the DC Controller.

Since I have never worked with DC, I have no clue if I'm allowed to wire this as I would with AC. I'm assuming I have a pair of wires going to area #1 and a pair of wires going to area #2.

QUESTION #1 ----- Can I just use wire nuts to connect both of those pairs together with a third pair that connects to the DC controller at, say, channel #12?

QUESTION #2 ----- How do the 5 MR16 lights in area #1 hook up to the pair of wires that is coming from the DC controller channel? I have a feeling that I'm not allowed to simply split the initial pair into 5 pairs using wire nuts once it gets to area #1 (one pair to each light.)

I'm so confused.

Bob

Edited by Weisswelsh

Hey Bob!

Your hookup sounds reasonable. It would be good to locate your controller central to where the lights will go if possible. This would cut down on any long runs from the lights to the controller.

Channels shouldn't be connected together (if I understand your question). So each channel (of a LOR DC controller) can handle about 2 amps DC (If I remember correctly) but each MR16 only draws .167 amps DC. So you could daisy chain 12 MR16's per channel if you wanted. Of course you would have to control all 12 at once. Also remember there is a 15 amp limit on the total DC controller (remember your power supply too)

The MR16's have a circuit board under the LED's that allow them to be connected to 12 volts. That curcuitry also allows you to plug them into a 12 volt source without worring about polarity. Normally LED's are polarity sensitive but these MR16's are not. So just wire them up in parrarell (not series). That means run the positive and negative to each MR16. Here is a simple diagram here.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bob!

Your hookup sounds reasonable. It would be good to locate your controller central to where the lights will go if possible. This would cut down on any long runs from the lights to the controller.

Channels shouldn't be connected together (if I understand your question). So each channel (of a LOR DC controller) can handle about 2 amps DC (If I remember correctly) but each MR16 only draws .167 amps DC. So you could daisy chain 12 MR16's per channel if you wanted. Of course you would have to control all 12 at once. Also remember there is a 15 amp limit on the total DC controller (remember your power supply too)

The MR16's have a circuit board under the LED's that allow them to be connected to 12 volts. That curcuitry also allows you to plug them into a 12 volt source without worring about polarity. Normally LED's are polarity sensitive but these MR16's are not. So just wire them up in parrarell (not series). That means run the positive and negative to each MR16. Here is a simple diagram here.

Kevin

Thank you so much Kevin. I feel much more confident now. You've always been so helpful to me (and others) in the past and apparently you still are. LOL. Thanks again.