Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
chuckiii

How Can I Control Multiple Rgb Led Strip Lights From A Single Controller?

I purchased 6 - 5m RGB LED 5050 strip lights. I want to add them to my boat which obviously has a 12v system. The controller they came with has a remote with an IR input. Can anyone tell me how I could most easily use a single remote to control all 6 strips of lights. The strip lights have 4 inputs 12V+, R,G,B.

Thank You for any help!!! :)

Can you post the info from the controller or a link to the web site where you purchased them??

Depending on the type, it may be as simple as increasing the amperage of your power supply but don't use that as a general approval. You need to confirm that your controller can handle additional strings first

Chuck,

Have you tried to power up each string separately but only use one remote?? Some of the cheaper controller utilize a common RF which would allow you to control multiple controllers.

Chuck,

Have you tried to power up each string separately but only use one remote?? Some of the cheaper controller utilize a common RF which would allow you to control multiple controllers.

I just checked and it's working off of IR not RF; however, I ask this question not just for use on my boat which is a shorter distance, but I'm also thinking of using these on my house where the distance would be much greater.

Edited by chuckiii

A little warning about the resin dipped strip that you have. it has a resin coating on the front but it has no coating on the back, instead it usually has some 3M tape. This strip may be very cheap but if exposed to lots of water will most probably fail due to the lack of coating on the underside. Others here have experimented with this strip to find that it will fail due to water ingress.

So be mindfull of where you are mounting this strip and how exposed the bottom side will be to water and moisture

A little warning about the resin dipped strip that you have. it has a resin coating on the front but it has no coating on the back, instead it usually has some 3M tape. This strip may be very cheap but if exposed to lots of water will most probably fail due to the lack of coating on the underside. Others here have experimented with this strip to find that it will fail due to water ingress.

So be mindfull of where you are mounting this strip and how exposed the bottom side will be to water and moisture

They claim to be IP68 which is suitable for continuous immersion in water. We'll see how they hold up. I'm going to test them for some time before I go out and buy a ton for my roof line. I'm also worried about how they will handle the UV rays since I live in Florida.

The amplifier seems like the best bet for my roof line, however I want to get these on the boat for a trip this week and don't have time to order those. Do you know of any other ways to have them all work off the same remote? I was thinking about just cutting the IR cable and running some cat 5 and tying them all to the same IR receiver. Any idea if that will work?

They claim to be IP68 which is suitable for continuous immersion in water. We'll see how they hold up. I'm going to test them for some time before I go out and buy a ton for my roof line. I'm also worried about how they will handle the UV rays since I live in Florida.

The amplifier seems like the best bet for my roof line, however I want to get these on the boat for a trip this week and don't have time to order those. Do you know of any other ways to have them all work off the same remote? I was thinking about just cutting the IR cable and running some cat 5 and tying them all to the same IR receiver. Any idea if that will work?

From the picture they dont look IP68. If the strip is completly coated back and front then yes it would be IP68 and you shouldnt have any issues. As far as UV what you will see is that the strip will get a yellow colour to it, this is not bad enough to really change the appearance of the lights. I have used silicone coated strip on a black roof facing west in the Australian summer for the past 2 seasons and noticed that last year the strip didnt really deteriate any more than it had from the previous year. I expect to get 5 season from these.

Now trying to get all the remotes to work together with the method you mention would rely on all the controllers being on the same frequency, if this is the case then its worth a try. But the amplifier method is by far the best way to do what you want, but as you said time is your issue.