100 Amp Service Will I Have Issue?

I am in a new location this yr. The electical box says its only 100amps. There is a outlet on the front of the house i plan to run my mr christmas box off that along with any static lights will it run everything okay?

Im trying to buy this place if i do i want to put another box on the pool outisde but cant unless buy itplus not sure how much that will cost.

I ran the mr christmas at my old house w.o issues butnot sure the amp there. Its older thenthis place. It does have copper wiring here other had aluminium

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

I also have 100amp service. My last year running a static display with about 8,000 lights and a few molds, I had issues popping breakers and even tripped my main once. Since then I have gone 90% led and animated using light o rama. Last year with about 10,000 LED's and 32 animated channels, I did not have any issues. In fact I ran everything off two 20 amp outlets.

I ran a Mr christmas and Static from my home with a 100Amp box for a couple years. I forget what size fuse is in each of the units, but if you total that up thats the most power that unit can pull or you plow a fuse in each unit. if that total is less (including your static items) then what your outlet and breaker are rated for you should be fine. I would also see what other outlets are on the same breaker as your outside outlet. if you really want to know you could use a Kil-o-watt meter to see what every thing pulls.

We have a 100 AMP panel and have no problems.

Now I have 70% or so LEDs.

This year I should be over 90% LEDs.

It will depend on the power you are using!

No LED lights all old style.. I guess will find out. might have to pull off driffrent outlets around the house.

I would say pick your self up a kill-o-watt meter which will let split your loads across different outlets. Personaly having the meter really helped because I kept frying timers and outlets but since getting the meter I have no problem cause I make sure I'm not overloading anything.

I have a 60 amp panel & ran 7,000 lights from in 2006. The lights were mostly mini lights & C7 4 watt bulbs.......& a few strings of Leds. I had to turn off most of the lights inside the house.

Then in 2007 I dropped most of the incandescent lights & bought Leds (about 4000 lights) & I spit the load between twp outlets.........including Mr. Christmas.

Then in 2008 I went with 48 channels of AL computerized controllers along with 12,500 Leds (mostly).

Then in 2009 I had 192 channels & 15, 900 lights (mostly 95% Led)....spread across 4 outlets

Then in 2010 I had 172 channels & 18, 200 lights (mostly 95% Led)....spread across 4 outlets

Then in 2011 I had 240 channels with controllers left over & 20,300 lights (mostly 95% Led)....spread across 4 outlets

So you can see what a 60 amp panel can do with Leds & light controllers. However before the show starts I let all the lights stay on for 2 minutes before and after each 5 song session . I do however spread the load around. Get the meter as a few folks mentioned.

I did however sell 9 controllers & some Leds this year.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I got through halloween okay i couldnt run lights and a heater in bathroom or bedroom same time we got propane to heat house and so now christmas lights are

Doing fine about 3300 static and about 2800 animated all seem fine

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

You are going to need to know how many amps you are actually drawing per controller. Then you need to compare that to anything else that is running on that circuit. 80% of capacity is the rule of thumb. (i.e. on a 15 amp circuit you should not exceed 12 amps for any significant length of time)

As far as upgrading your service, it is not that difficult or expensive if you do it your self. The power company owns everything up to and including the meter. You will need to upgrade your meter box. They run anywhere from 90-150 bucks.

NOTE: If you have any non-conforming electrical items that were "grandfathered" in as existing you may have to do more that just upgrade the box. You may open a can of worms by calling for an inspection which you will have to do. The power company will not turn you back on without an approval from the inspector in most places.

I would have an electrician inspect your home before making any modifications or pulling permits to see what it will really cost you.

I have 400 amp service underground and will soon be increasing that to 600 amp.

• 3 weeks later...